Goodbye Jesus

A new thread on prayer

greasemonkey

Praying could be good for you if it is done in a meditative way, since some research points to that meditation builds the brain:

Meditation builds up the brain

by Alison Motluk

This link here, is from the same site. :Hmm:

If meditation is good, God makes it better :Doh:

Praying could be good for you if it is done in a meditative way, since some research points to that meditation builds the brain:

Meditation builds up the brain

by Alison Motluk

This link here, is from the same site. :Hmm:

If meditation is good, God makes it better :Doh:

That is a seriously strange article, I completely agree. I took the liberty to copy that whole article for non-subscribers to read here... (hopefully I won't get into trouble for this... :ugh: )

GOD can help you relax, according to a study of meditation. People practising spiritual meditation were more relaxed and better able to withstand pain than those performing secular meditation.

College students who volunteered for the study were randomly assigned to one of three groups regardless of their spiritual beliefs. The 25 students in the spiritual meditation group were told to concentrate on a phrase such as "God is love" or "God is peace" during their meditation periods. Those in the secular meditation group used a phrase such as "I am happy" or "I am joyful" while the third group were simply told to relax.

Subjects were asked to practise their technique for 20 minutes each day for two weeks, at the beginning and end of which the researchers used psychological profiling to assess their mood. They also tested pain tolerance as measured by the amount of time the volunteers could keep their hands in water at 2 °C (Journal of Behavioral Medicine, DOI: 10.1007/s10865-005-9008-5). Those practising spiritual meditation showed greater reductions in anxiety than the other two groups and were able to keep their hands in the cold water for nearly double the time - on average 92 seconds versus 49 for the relaxation group.

Amy Wachholtz of Bowling Green State University in Ohio, who conducted the research, says that spiritual meditation brings more than just deeper relaxation. "It is also likely that there is something unique inherent in the practice of spiritual meditation that cannot be completely conveyed through secular meditation and relaxation," she says, but admits that she doesn't know what it is.

Elizabeth Valentine, emeritus professor of psychology at Royal Holloway, University of London, says that the result could be down to a placebo effect. Participants in the spiritual group might simply have expected benefits because they were practicing "real" meditation.

The study raises the question of the effect of a negative spiritual phrase. "We suspect that if people were asked to repeat negative spiritual phrases, such as 'God hates me,' it would have destructive effects," says Ken Pargament, also of Bowling Green State University. But he adds that to test the hypothesis would probably be unethical.

I apologize to all for my appearance of arrogance, I know that my social skills are not what they should be. I very resoundingly lectured daniel on his insistence that arrogance was proper. One of my problems is that I ran out of questions concerning this subject of religion versus rationale. Except that instead of finding that all of the religions were just misled fools, I found that they began very intelligently, but then got carried by people who mistook many things and made many mistakes.

"Humility is the tight wire between the mountains of wisdom"

:thanks:

Wonderful! I know I'm all :dumbo: . :grin:

I know I'm all :dumbo: .

That's only 'cuz we ain't got no legs emoticon. :mellow:

:HaHa:

I know I'm all :dumbo: .

That's only 'cuz we ain't got no legs emoticon. :mellow:

:HaHa:

HA! :lmao::grin::funny::grin:

You're a funny little :fart: aren't ya?

You're a funny little poop.gif aren't ya?

There! I fixed it for ya. :HaHa:

:cunn:

You're a funny little poop.gif aren't ya?

There! I fixed it for ya. :HaHa:

:cunn:

Thanks, but I was just trying to watch my language. :tongue: