Goodbye Jesus

Interesting Experience Today

Ouroboros

A friend of ours took us to a Tai restaurant we haven't been to before. I love Tai food. And lately, the last year or so, I've grown very fond of very spicy food.

We got the food and the plate of a variety of the hottest sauces they had. I mixed them, and had a great time.

Then I had just one single piece of jalapeño and by accident I got some of the juices in my larynx. Suddenly I my throat constricted, and I couldn't breathe. The spiciness basically forced my throat shut. The first thing the went through my head was... "oh, bummer, here it is. Today is the day I die." But it was a very calm realization. Then I started to think if I could just chip away and get just a little bit of air. So I calmly tried to breathe and got extremely small amounts of air. And my thought was to just keep on slowly get the little air I could until I either passed out or the throat opened up again. After a minute or two, it got better and I could slowly start breathing again. My company were trying to ask me how I was doing during that time too... which is funny since I obviously couldn't speak... FrogsToadBigGrin.gif

This is actually a serious allergic reaction. You need to get this followed up with a doctor and find out just what it is that you are allergic to.

That's a fun way to resign yourself to your imminent death. I did that once when I had a case of food poisoning- I was convinced at the time that I was about to die.

So I've been meaning to try Tai food- there's a restaurant here in town that's pretty popular. What would you recommend I start with? I like spicy food- but not crazy hot. Pretty much anything in a Mexican restaurant is fine for me.

This is actually a serious allergic reaction. You need to get this followed up with a doctor and find out just what it is that you are allergic to.

Not at all.

I ate a whole bunch of the spices after. It was just a little jalapeño juice that in the wrong pipe.

It's like if you fry habaneros. The vapors are so strong that people around you cough. Or slicing onions make you cry. Like that.

That's a fun way to resign yourself to your imminent death. I did that once when I had a case of food poisoning- I was convinced at the time that I was about to die.

I know, right. I have been close to death once before (or perhaps more, not sure), and I've wiped out on my bike and broken bones and such. But this was different in the sense that it was a longer time. I could consciously make my decisions, calmly, during the period.

So I've been meaning to try Tai food- there's a restaurant here in town that's pretty popular. What would you recommend I start with? I like spicy food- but not crazy hot. Pretty much anything in a Mexican restaurant is fine for me.

Do you like curry?

Whatever you order, order it medium and the spicy sauces on the side. One tip: don't breathe or talk while trying a spicy sauce... :HaHa:

If you drink beer, it helps a lot more than water. Or eat some steamed rice.

Tai food is very diverse and flavorful... and most of all, fresh (at least the places I've been to).

I know, right. I have been close to death once before (or perhaps more, not sure), and I've wiped out on my bike and broken bones and such. But this was different in the sense that it was a longer time. I could consciously make my decisions, calmly, during the period.

Do you like curry?

Whatever you order, order it medium and the spicy sauces on the side. One tip: don't breathe or talk while trying a spicy sauce... GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

If you drink beer, it helps a lot more than water. Or eat some steamed rice.

Tai food is very diverse and flavorful... and most of all, fresh (at least the places I've been to).

No, I don't particularly care for curry. Sometimes it's good- but mostly it isn't.

But I do like beer.

Oof Hans, death by jalapeno. Not a very noble way to die, but perhaps not the worst.

Gald you're still here with us instead of being judged before the Lord God Almighty in the blessed heaven above. :HaHa:

Same here. I got food poisoning and laid on the bathroom floor for two and a half days without water. At the time I thought I was going to die, and it seemed like a better thing.

You can't die like that. It has to be more dramatic. Like wrestling a grizzly bear and you both accidently fall off a cliff or something. But then you wake up to see Abraham Lincoln. Thus your new journey starts.

• Like 2

They usually have little stars next to each item that designates the spiciness of each dish, the Indian restaurants I've gone to do the same thing. There's a local Thai food place that I absolutely love. Once you have Thai food everything else seems a little more bland.

If you like noodles, Pad Thai is delicious. Otherwise, try the green or yellow curries. These are all good places to dip your toe in the water.

Thai food isn't crazy hot. In Thailand, they usually let you choose by giving you a condiment tray with dried chilis, chili water and salt and sugar, which you can use to flavor your plate.

Real Thai food is surprisingly sweet. They put sugar in everything. Completely different from Vietnamese and other regional foods.

As for beer, to make your day authentic, go with Singha or Tiger.

They usually have little stars next to each item that designates the spiciness of each dish, the Indian restaurants I've gone to do the same thing. There's a local Thai food place that I absolutely love. Once you have Thai food everything else seems a little more bland.

Well, except Indian food. :)

• Like 1

Loooooooove Thai fried rice and spicy curry!!

Good on you for staying calm in a scary situation!

When I was little (3 or 4) I was at a restaurant with my Mother and some friends, and I was talking to some older kids and one of them said "I bet you can't swallow this whole chip!" It was a large ruffle chip. Being a very young kid who didn't know any better I tried to swallow it whole and started choking. I ran to my Mother who picked me up by the ankle and belted my back. The chip came flying out and everything was fine. The other times I've had trouble breathing is when I slipped and fell into a wall when I was a kid. My back hit the corner of the wall and winded me. The other time was when I was going to see my Youth Pastor preach. This was during the time he claimed he have cancer, we all found out about a year later that it wasn't true. I was worried that he was going to die on the stage in front of me, and I got so worked up about it that I had to go to the doctor the day before the church service for breathing problems.

You probably had a laryngospasm ( yes, not made up) where your vocal cords get irritated and spasm and close.

I don't believe it was allergenic..

Guest wester

Glad you made it. Tai is the Chinese word for "too much" ......Tiger beer is from Singapore

Next time you can ask for "My pet" -- Mai Peht in Thai --- Stands for "Not Spicy"

Or you can practice eating more and more Jalapenos and Red Peppers until you build your tolerance.

Some of the Thai people around me eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with a direct IV drip of flaming chili peppers.

Astonishing.

Tiger beer is from Singapore

Didn't know that. Last time I was in Thailand, my British landlord was putting away about 12 of them before lunch. The stuff gave me a headache, but I assumed it was Thai.

You probably had a laryngospasm ( yes, not made up) where your vocal cords get irritated and spasm and close.

I don't believe it was allergenic..

Oh. Thanks. That sounds exactly right.

Glad you made it. Tai is the Chinese word for "too much" ......

GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Next time you can ask for "My pet" -- Mai Peht in Thai --- Stands for "Not Spicy"

Or you can practice eating more and more Jalapenos and Red Peppers until you build your tolerance.

No, I do eat spicy and can handle it. I eat spicy like native Mexicans. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif I have Mexican friends, and we play around with salsas and sauces that make most people cringe. Even my oldest kids who eat very spicy food thinks what I eat is too strong.

The funny thing is, I didn't use to like it or handle it like this. I developed the taste for spicy food in the last year. All of a sudden it doesn't burn as much as it used too. Perhaps I'm developing some nerve disease or something... Wendyshrug.gif Or I'm going through the guys version of menopause. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Some of the Thai people around me eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with a direct IV drip of flaming chili peppers.

Astonishing.

I wonder what the medical effects are of eating these intense chillies?

I love Thai food. Unfortunately, all the best Thai restaurants close to me either closed down, or have gone downhill in their food. I love spicy curry - both Thai and Indian curries.

One of my favorite things is Tom Ka Gai soup - coconut milk with chicken, some vegetables and the awesome Thai spices.

I also love Thai basil - if I am not in the mood for something really spicy, I will order Chicken basil. Usually the server will ask how spicy you like it.

I'm glad you're still with us, Ouroboros. If you're gonna go, it might as well be doing something you love.

I love Thai food. My favorite is gaeng kiew wan, which is green coconut curry and vegetables with meat. I also love tom ka gai soup, and chicken satay, drunken noodles, or massaman chicken. And then there's the Thai iced tea, which is awesome.

• Super Moderator

I love hot spicy food too. Years ago I was eating nachos that had some killer jalapenos. I was also drinking a margarita through a straw. DH took a sip of my drink, started choking and broke out into a sweat from the second-hand heat transfer from the straw. eek.gif

Glad you're ok, Ouroboros, and lived to tell the story. biggrin.png

I love hot spicy food too. Years ago I was eating nachos that had some killer jalapenos. I was also drinking a margarita through a straw. DH took a sip of my drink, started choking and broke out into a sweat from the second-hand heat transfer from the straw. eek.gif

Glad you're ok, Ouroboros, and lived to tell the story.

Damn. I like spicy food, but not that spicy.

• Super Moderator

Glad you're ok, Ouroboros, and lived to tell the story.

Damn. I like spicy food, but not that spicy.

Didn't seem that spicy to me. DH hates spicy, so I think it was as much mental as physical -- if not more!

A friend of ours took us to a Tai restaurant we haven't been to before. I love Tai food. And lately, the last year or so, I've grown very fond of very spicy food.

We got the food and the plate of a variety of the hottest sauces they had. I mixed them, and had a great time.

Then I had just one single piece of jalapeño and by accident I got some of the juices in my larynx. Suddenly I my throat constricted, and I couldn't breathe. The spiciness basically forced my throat shut. The first thing the went through my head was... "oh, bummer, here it is. Today is the day I die." But it was a very calm realization. Then I started to think if I could just chip away and get just a little bit of air. So I calmly tried to breathe and got extremely small amounts of air. And my thought was to just keep on slowly get the little air I could until I either passed out or the throat opened up again. After a minute or two, it got better and I could slowly start breathing again. My company were trying to ask me how I was doing during that time too... which is funny since I obviously couldn't speak... FrogsToadBigGrin.gif

oh wow, this happened to me when my husband and I ate at a sushi restaurant for the first time. the waiter told me to try the wasabi in the soy sauce and i ate the whole thing. it burned so bad. i am amazed you were calm about the prospect of dying, though...

Here's a drink for ya: IMG_0665.jpg

I took tequila, sliced up jalapeños, habaneros, ceranos, and some tai chili and put them in the tequila to infuse for a couple of weeks. It's extremely spicy. It's liquid hotness. A couple of times, my oldest kids and I take a small shot of it (like a tablespoon of it is enough). My youngest daughter (16) insisted she could try. I let her, and she was running around in circles afterwards screaming for water. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif (damn us evil parents!)