Goodbye Jesus

Euthanasia

R. S. Martin

Ever since my grandparents moved in with my family I have become VERY pro-assisted suicide. . . .

Conure,

Oh man, shit and Shinola and a box of granola--that must be horrifically exhausting to have to cope with that. Especially the fact that you're having to care for them, but the "them" that they used to be basically no longer exists (even though they don't have Alzheimer's) because they've both been reduced to children once again--and you're "Mommy" now. Total suckage. Yet such is, life, eh?

Well, just try to take the best care of yourself that you can, despite the circumstances, and be as kind to yourself as you can be.

And: make sure that you give yourself time to grieve, even now. 'Cause you don't have to wait until they die to do that, you know.

Oh, and please forgive me for sounding Buddhist, but you, m'dear, are earning some damn good Karma for yourself, some damn good Karma, indeed. Hang in there, and always remember a motto that I made up for myself long ago:

This too, shall pass. Admittedly, maybe like a ten pound kidney stone, covered with glass shards and Tabasco sauce--but, just rest assured that this too shall pass.

Hang in there. smile.png

Well the good news is I'm going into nursing so this is excellent experience. I learn tons from my mom who has been a nurse for more than 30 years herself. I don't care if it's allowed or not, taking care of them is going on my resume!

• 2 months later...

Euthanasia is one of the things I re-evaluated my opinion on after I deconverted. I don't see it as evil any more, in fact I'd like to have the option, as under certain circumstances it lets you go with more dignity and without having to go through unnecessary suffering and pain.

When an animal is suffering we do it, yet when it's people for some reason we consider it taboo. IMO that's hypocrisy and I think it has its roots in religious tunnel vision about the "sacredness" (superiority? - how arrogant are we, human beings?) of human life bla-bla-bla. As if letting people go through unnecessary pain and suffering makes us respectful of that alleged sacredness of human life.

When I think of euthanasia in this sense, I think of voluntary euthanasia, when the person to be euthanized makes the choice himself or herself. Or when someone cannot make that choice, but he or she is only kept alive by machines with no hope of recovery. I don't see good reasons to oppose this type of euthanasia and IMO the most people who oppose it do it for religious reasons and those are not good enough reasons for me to make people suffer more than they should and to deprive them of their right to self-determination.

I personally can't see any reason to prohibit euthanasia in animals. This is one thing that Buddhists do that does bother me. Watch a poor terminal animal suffer until it dies. That doesn't make sense to me in view of their emphasis on compassion.

Humans, I can see some difficulties because the opportunity for murder arises, but in a lot of cases I would certainly also be in favor of it. Pulling the plug on a hopeless brain dead case is not the same as murder. It has only become possible because of our advanced technology.