Goodbye Jesus

Jehovah's Witness Visit

TrailBlazer

I was blessed this morning to get a visit from a cross-eyed Jehovah's Witness who smelled of mothballs and sported a bow-tie, a tweed jacket from the 80's and coke bottle glasses. I was indeed blasting Nickelback on my stereo when I answered the door. This JW hacked up a reading of Psalm 83 from his KJV and it became apparent to me at that moment that he was probably a hooked on phonics kid growing up. He sounded very nervous- I almost felt bad for him.

The JW then left me with this week's copy of "'Watchtower Magazine'- the Bible: what makes it unique?" and went on his merry way in his shiny Mercedes. I haven't read all the magazine yet (it's <20pgs) but I will write a review of it later after I finish reading it.

Aren't door-to-door evangelists supposed to convince you to join their cult? Aren't they supposed to ask you if you're a believer? Aren't they at least supposed to tell you about their faith and why they believe what they believe? I was SOOO ready to debate this fellow and he let me down!

What experiences have you all had with door-to-door evangelists? Good? Bad? Did you do any of that during your xian days?

Here is a link to the magazine I received, in case anyone is interested in reading it too: http://issuu.com/webox/docs/wp_e_20120601

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

I was blessed this morning to get a visit from a cross-eyed Jehovah's Witness who smelled of mothballs and sported a bow-tie, a tweed jacket from the 80's and coke bottle glasses. I was indeed blasting Nickelback on my stereo when I answered the door. This JW hacked up a reading of Psalm 83 from his KJV and it became apparent to me at that moment that he was probably a hooked on phonics kid growing up. He sounded very nervous- I almost felt bad for him.

The JW then left me with this week's copy of "'Watchtower Magazine'- the Bible: what makes it unique?" and went on his merry way in his shiny Mercedes. I haven't read all the magazine yet (it's <20pgs) but I will write a review of it later after I finish reading it.

Aren't door-to-door evangelists supposed to convince you to join their cult? Aren't they supposed to ask you if you're a believer? Aren't they at least supposed to tell you about their faith and why they believe what they believe? I was SOOO ready to debate this fellow and he let me down!

What experiences have you all had with door-to-door evangelists? Good? Bad? Did you do any of that during your xian days?

Here is a link to the magazine I received, in case anyone is interested in reading it too: http://issuu.com/web...s/wp_e_20120601

Actually, over the last decade or so, they are taking a more scaled back approach in some areas. I find the JW's around where I live are more passive aggressive than the Baptist witnesses. They knock, ask if I would take time to read about the Lord. Hand me the pamphlet and generally go away. Baptists though, he he he...THEY are way more personal around here. And usually they show up about 1/2 hour after the JWs show up, as if they are exerting damage control.... >o<

They caught my wife at home one day while I was at work. She let them talk and never mentioned that we're not Christians anymore, and especially didn't say that her husband is an atheist. She thought it was funny what they had to say about the end of the world. If they catch my I will definitely be no stranger to debate.

The JWs who showed up at my door a couple months ago didn't do any preaching at all--they just wanted me to take a handout about a "community event." They didn't even call it a religious or church meeting. It was exactly and precisely like how Amway people never want to tell you it's Amway before they try to rope you into joining.

It was realizing I was ashamed of my beliefs and reluctant to let outsiders see the full monte of crazy my church espoused that had a lot to do with my second-guessing the whole thing.

I've had a good deal of experience with them over the decades. Seems the last time they caught me, they were passive, but I've come to just not answer the door for them. I don't care to debate anything, it's easier. Anyway, I'm busy.

There's also a guy around here who limps pigeon-toed and wears coke bottle glasses. He looks sharp in a suit. I'm sure they work with him for sympathy conversions.

There's also a guy around here who limps pigeon-toed and wears coke bottle glasses. He looks sharp in a suit. I'm sure they work with him for sympathy conversions.

Lol, wouldn't surprise me. I've heard stories about how fundy evangelists will avoid "worldly looking" heathens individuals and go intentionally to affluent households to solicit evangelize.

There must be a "do not engage" policy around here, 'cause once I mention "atheist" they beat a hasty retreat and don't come back. I'd like to think my address is on a JW list somewhere.

If you took their magazine I wouldn't be surprised if you see them again.

That was so touching, Xtech.

That was great XTech, I never know what to say to these people other than I am not interested. I always feel bad when I see the young Mormon guys walking around on a hot summer day in their long sleeves and black ties. It's gotta be horrible being a Mormon evangelist in upstate NY.

Good work Xtech! Those types of encounters were what finally brought me around too.

There must be a "do not engage" policy around here, 'cause once I mention "atheist" they beat a hasty retreat and don't come back. I'd like to think my address is on a JW list somewhere.

Bahahahaha! The JW Temple has you red flagged Par4. Watch out

Xtech, you get major points for that visit!

I have always preferred to simply answer the door and say, "Thank you so much for sharing your opinions with me. It's so beneficial for us to be able to share our beliefs, isn't it? I personally worship Satan, and we're having a virgin sacrifice at 3:00, if you'd like to come, Cake and ice cream of course, and Diet Coke! Would you be interested in purchasing some Amway products?"

Strangely enough, they never even blink through any of it up until I reach that Amway part. That's always guaranteed to makes them run screaming down the street.

Guest Xtech

Oh thanks, as I have written before, I don't have quite the baggage others on the site do, and I also have had many years to temper my disillusionment and to mellow with age. It is often very interesting to engage with fundies or others from different belief systems, and to get to know what it is that makes them tick, and for them to learn about others' views, too, if they are open to it. I really do believe in compassion and see it as part of my mission in life to promote peace, love and understanding.

So many of us have had some wacky dogma pounded into our young heads, and really need to be given a chance. That JW at your door may be your opportunity for outreach.

I really do believe in compassion and see it as part of my mission in life to promote peace, love and understanding.

So many of us have had some wacky dogma pounded into our young heads, and really need to be given a chance. That JW at your door may be your opportunity for outreach.

I met this woman at a friends house, they met a church. So she starts telling me she was a lifelong JW, but then she started reading the bible and questioning what they do. So she became a Baptist cause now she's got the real word. She was explaining to me how controlling it all was and that her family and friends have shunned her, which is really sad. I was trying to understand what was different between the JW bible and NKJ, and my friend tells her that I went to seminary. And I never do this, but I blurted out, but I'm not a Christian. So she was like, are you an athiest? And I was like, well I really don't like label myself based on what I don't believe in, but I guess you could call me that. Anyway, it was really awkward after that because I could tell she felt weird about me. She was talking about how abusive the JW church was, and I was saying I could relate to that from my experience in Christianity. But she couldn't see that connection at all. So, in my head, I am thinking - jeeze you just left one black & white oppressive church for another. I guess because she can wear jean skirts now she thinks she's more free. But I realized later, the way I was talking, I probably sounded condescending because she reads the bible but she doesn't really know anything about theology, I was confusing her on top of being an evil athiest. So my lesson is I need to work more from compassion, love & understanding like you said above. And not blurt out, but I'm not a Christian!

Last spring a lovely JW girl came to my door as I was putting away groceries. I was happy to invite her in.

She wanted to read me some from Psalms. That was fine. My maternal instinct kind of kicked in, she was young and precious, so I gave her my best ex-C spiel, and showed some atheist love: told her she was not an original sin; she was an original blessing. Told her she was in a harsh cult, but as her whole life was wrapped up in it and she rarely got off the rez, it would be hard for her to realize it or to do anything about it. Told that people who are not JW are good people too, and going to heaven, that is if there were such a thing.

Gave her a glass of water and fed her some fresh strawberries. After a half hour she was the one that was squirming and making excuses. I told her to come back anytime, and to be careful going door to door like that.

<APPLAUSE>

Here is a link to the magazine I received, in case anyone is interested in reading it too: http://issuu.com/web...s/wp_e_20120601

I haven't, but many years ago, I had a friend that was a "fallen" JW. She had been ostrasized by her church, when she had finally decided to divorce her "husband."

That poor woman was SO messed up: her pastor had not only sexually abused her as a child--she was also forced into marrying him when he got her pregnant when she was only sixteen. (Of COURSE she had been told that it was her fault, because she had "enticed him into sin."

From what she told me, when she and her "team", or whatever they called it, proselytized, they had had some sort of a quota of respondents that they were supposed to provide. I never did understand her explanation. And she said that it almost put them over the edge at times, with worrying that they couldn't make it.

The one thing that I remember the most distinctly about her was that she had PTSD so severely, that she finally reached the point of having to be heavily medicated, 24/7. The last time I saw her before I moved, she could barely even function.

The saddest thing was, she felt that SHE had let down her faith.

I've had a Horrible time even being polite to a JW ever since.

Oh yeah, sure. "Praise god! Let's bring OTHERS into the fold."

I haven't, but many years ago, I had a friend that was a "fallen" JW. She had been ostrasized by her church, when she had finally decided to divorce her "husband."

The saddest thing was, she felt that SHE had let down her faith.

I've had a Horrible time even being polite to a JW ever since.

Oh yeah, sure. "Praise god! Let's bring OTHERS into the fold."

All I can say is, WOW. You hear about that sort of church abuse, but not from people you meet in real life, so sad. I sure hope that her particular JW church was an atypical representation of what goes on inside that denomination. How do people justify doing that kind of bullshit to other people in the name of Jehovah/ God/ YHWH/ Allah/ Whomever-the-hell-he-is!

I used to be a J-Dub. We spent about 2 hours a week in the ministry school learning how to talk to people at the door. Some people were better than others at the door to door (called "going out in service") stuff and the ones that weren't either made phone calls or did what the OP's visitor did-just hand over the magazine. But yes, there is a monthly quota so to speak. You have to turn in a service report every month with how many hours you did and where you went and what happened with each visit. You can't just go where ever either, you are given a service territory. You will get in trouble with an elder if you aren't making your hours. You can pledge to do a larger amount of hours every month (I forget exactly how many hours it is but it's more than the average quota) then you are called a "Pioneer" and those people all think thery're the shit.

So yes, they are a very high control group with 5 to 6 meetings a week where you will be told what to wear, what kind of jobs are ok, what to watch on TV (I was once told by an elder that "Bewitched" was evil but "I Dream of Jeannie" was ok...go figure) and so on and so on. If you mess up on any of it then you will receive a "sheperding call" when the elders surprise you at home and tell you off for whatever stupid thing you did that was considered a poor reflection on Jehovah. And no matter what...you are always told to just wait on Jehovah. After I got out of that mess I thought for a long time that I sucked because I just wasn't good enough to be a JW. Then I started going to a non-denominational chruch and realized after a few months that this was a different room in the same fucking house.

Anyways theres loads of crap about the JW's I could go on about. Most of them are really deceived people that have good hearts and I don't hold all the shit I went through against any of them after all I fell for it all myself too. I blame the assholes running the show...the governing body...a small group of old men that just make shit up as they go along.

• Like 2

I used to be a J-Dub.

Anyways theres loads of crap about the JW's I could go on about. Most of them are really deceived people that have good hearts and I don't hold all the shit I went through against any of them after all I fell for it all myself too. I blame the assholes running the show...the governing body...a small group of old men that just make shit up as they go along.

Wow, thanks for sharing Violet. Very informative! That all sounds really nerve-racking, about not living up to expectations and getting reamed out by the elders and all, my church was pretty laid back- I can't imagine what it would be like to be in that

I used to be a J-Dub. We spent about 2 hours a week in the ministry school learning how to talk to people at the door. Some people were better than others at the door to door (called "going out in service") stuff and the ones that weren't either made phone calls or did what the OP's visitor did-just hand over the magazine. But yes, there is a monthly quota so to speak. You have to turn in a service report every month with how many hours you did and where you went and what happened with each visit. You can't just go where ever either, you are given a service territory. You will get in trouble with an elder if you aren't making your hours. You can pledge to do a larger amount of hours every month (I forget exactly how many hours it is but it's more than the average quota) then you are called a "Pioneer" and those people all think thery're the shit.

So yes, they are a very high control group with 5 to 6 meetings a week where you will be told what to wear, what kind of jobs are ok, what to watch on TV (I was once told by an elder that "Bewitched" was evil but "I Dream of Jeannie" was ok...go figure) and so on and so on. If you mess up on any of it then you will receive a "sheperding call" when the elders surprise you at home and tell you off for whatever stupid thing you did that was considered a poor reflection on Jehovah. And no matter what...you are always told to just wait on Jehovah. After I got out of that mess I thought for a long time that I sucked because I just wasn't good enough to be a JW. Then I started going to a non-denominational chruch and realized after a few months that this was a different room in the same fucking house.

I'm on my way to bed, but I just wanted to say, great post Violet. It clarified some stuff that I had trouble ubderstanding before.

It's nice to meet you. I'm a newbie too. :)

That's weird that your JW had a mercedes. Most of the ones around here are restricted to bikes and good ol' walking.

I've told this story before, but it's worth repeating:

When I was little, and my family didn't go to church we lived in a different spot in Virginia. We were tight with the neighbors and would look out for each other. So when the first house on the block got visited by a solicitor, they would call EVERYONE and give them a heads up of what was coming. One time, we got a heads up of a JW pair coming down the street. My mom told me to hide and be quiet, we closed all the blinds, locked the doors, turned off all the lights and the TV and just sat there and waited. We'd hear the door bell ring about 10 times before we'd peek just a little to see if they were gone. Then, when they'd moved on about two houses down, normal life would resume.

It was almost as if we were running a tornado drill!

• Like 2

That's HILARIOUS!

Violet's comment about being in a different room in the same house is a great description for all these denominations.