Goodbye Jesus

Jehovah's Witness Visit

TrailBlazer

I am not so nice to door bangers. I have a sign on my door 'no religious soliciting'and it seems to ward off most people possessed with most types of religious spirits, especially JW and Mormons. I told JWs I wasn't interested and told the Mormons if they insisted on arresting gay people for kissing near their temple in Salt Lake City, Utah, then they had no business being on my property where I could also have them arrested. They all stay out of my yard, in fact they cross the street before passing my house, if walking. Bwaaaaaah! If more people were not so nice to the door bangers, there would be fewer brave enough to knock!

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing that Violet. Interesting to hear about life on the inside. I dated a recovering JW for a short while a couple decades ago, and she had much the same experiences. Mind control.

Violet's comment about being in a different room in the same house is a great description for all these denominations.

Huh. Weird: the moment that I read that comment, a visual image of "Pee Wees Playhouse" popped into my head.

Gosh, I wonder why? :)

• 1 month later...

I was graced with another JW at my door. - a couple visiting from 600 miles away. WTF? Are the JW sending out missionaries to remote locations on missions trips now?

This JW was more friendly and personable than the dork they sent to my house before. My poor agnostic father answered this time and didn't have the heart to send him away because the man had his adorable little wife with him. (They looked like they just walked straight out of a southern baptist church or something).

He asked my father where he turns to in times of trouble, then pointed him toward some scripture.

I thought about that Q, where do I turn? As a xian, I knew I SHOULD turn to God instead of other people, but when I was in trouble during my teens, god was the last thing I wanted to seek out, (which made me feel poorly about my spiritual life).

I wanted to turn to friends and people from my church, but they sometimes refused to comfort me when I was going through something; they said I had to seek God instead. So I turned to self-destructive habits instead.

Now, in times of trouble, I still want to turn to my bf, friends or family, and that's perfectly okay :)

...Then I started going to a non-denominational church and realized after a few months that this was a different room in the same fucking house...

Violet, your insightful comment made me think of this

The only door-to-door evangelists who ever approached me were Jehova Witnesses. I did engage myself in a discussion once with them when I was a Christian. Of course, each of us trying to convince the other that the other's interpretation of the Babble was wrong.

As a heathen I just try to avoid them - I simply do not open the door. I have better things to do.

Last year however a JW approached me at a bus stop. I was reading a book on cosmology and she started to ask me questions about what I read. I told her, but kind of tried to make her aware that I was not interested in a discussion with her, I just want to read my book, please leave me alone, thank you. But she would not go away. She started to talk about the Babble and then I told her that I know all that since I was a Xtian and the reason why I'm not any more is exactly that I know what's in the Bible. When she still would not go away, I started to remind her of Babble verses about the cruelty of her God. The baby killings, genocides etc. That kind of shut her up and finally I got rid of her.

My church did not require us to go door-to-door. That was too JW for them, I guess. But we were required to evangelize, of course. I rarely did and even then just to close family. I never succeeded. I'm glad about it now. I hated it too, because I'm very much an introvert and to me the order to evangelize was hell. I'm also not the type of person who likes to shove down my opinion on other's throats. And let's face it: evangelizing is exactly that. You cannot back-up what you claim with proof or logical arguments, you just have to try to shove it down on people's throats with either threats (hell) or cajoling (heaven). That was never my thing.

My church usually did the evangelizing with street performances - that kind of thing. Not door-to-door.

• 2 months later...

I like the JWs. Of course they are brainwashed in a similar way to fundamentalists, but at least they are pleasant individuals.

I studied the whole JW thing.. very interesting interpretations.

However I'm sure I'm on their 'do not call on' list.. last time they came by I was a full blown practicing witch (trad not wiccan), and I was doing some ritual thing (the stars were right that morning), skyclad...Altar, incense... knife, cauldron...etc... the whole kit and kaboodle. I answered the door in just my ritual robe and welcomed them in...

and began a serious bible debate... they were a bit...umm... freaked out I think (teehee) All the ritual stuff around and me quoting verse and countering every point they made. I'm sure they believe I'm the devil's concubine or something. They excused themselves pretty quick and haven't been back since.

Too bad really.. I had wine and cakes ready too zDuivel7.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you took their magazine I wouldn't be surprised if you see them again.

This makes me think of a response I would like to try some day if JWs come to me sometime(though saying it might make me sound like a psychopath). I'll say, "I will look at your Watchtower and Bible, return in a week and I will tell you what I think about it."

Then when they return say, "I have done what I said I would do. I will hear no more of false gods. Leave now and I will spare your life..." Even though this idea sounds amusing when it is just an idea, I probably wouldn't ever actually try it. I wouldn't want to risk police being called because of a death threat...

I was blessed this morning to get a visit from a cross-eyed Jehovah's Witness who smelled of mothballs and sported a bow-tie, a tweed jacket from the 80's and coke bottle glasses. I was indeed blasting Nickelback on my stereo when I answered the door. This JW hacked up a reading of Psalm 83 from his KJV and it became apparent to me at that moment that he was probably a hooked on phonics kid growing up. He sounded very nervous- I almost felt bad for him.

The JW then left me with this week's copy of "'Watchtower Magazine'- the Bible: what makes it unique?" and went on his merry way in his shiny Mercedes. I haven't read all the magazine yet (it's <20pgs) but I will write a review of it later after I finish reading it.

Aren't door-to-door evangelists supposed to convince you to join their cult? Aren't they supposed to ask you if you're a believer? Aren't they at least supposed to tell you about their faith and why they believe what they believe? I was SOOO ready to debate this fellow and he let me down!

What experiences have you all had with door-to-door evangelists? Good? Bad? Did you do any of that during your xian days?

I have a strange feeling that this nervousness could be either he is extremely uncomfortable speaking with people he does not know, but must do it anyway as a requirement for being a member of his cult, or maybe he does not believe in this crap anymore, but is afraid to come forward about it and is nervous about pretending to be a JW while trying to evangelize.

I suspect you did not get an opportunity to debate with this person because he was too nervous. Fortunately I have had no experience with door-to-door evangelists and I never did anything like that myself. Maybe if another JW comes, hopefully it's someone that isn't as nervous as him, so at least then you will have an opportunity to properly debate.

• 4 months later...
Guest r3alchild

I have had alot of mind numbing encounters with mormons and they are bible twisting super apostles. Also I have had the good old jw around but not as much as the mormons. I just tell them the truth, I left christianity. I used to welcome them in but not anymore.

I studied the whole JW thing.. very interesting interpretations.

However I'm sure I'm on their 'do not call on' list.. last time they came by I was a full blown practicing witch (trad not wiccan), and I was doing some ritual thing (the stars were right that morning), skyclad...Altar, incense... knife, cauldron...etc... the whole kit and kaboodle. I answered the door in just my ritual robe and welcomed them in...

and began a serious bible debate... they were a bit...umm... freaked out I think (teehee) All the ritual stuff around and me quoting verse and countering every point they made. I'm sure they believe I'm the devil's concubine or something. They excused themselves pretty quick and haven't been back since.

Too bad really.. I had wine and cakes ready too zDuivel7.gif

Hahah, I just about died laughing!!  Wow, movie material right there!! Awesome! 

• 9 months later...
Guest MadameX

Yesterday, on Christmas day, the doorbell rang and I could see two elderly African American women on the porch with some, um, literature in their hands. I made it quick this time, but as I stood there, enjoying a delightful day with my loving family, with good friends, treating each other kindly, living the best life we know how, holding a warm soft icing bag in my hand as we'd been  decorating cookies together, I just felt so so sad for these women. JW seems like a particularly harsh death cult. I mean, can you have any pleasure in life? Is it all a trial before you die and even then odds are not in your favor for salvation?

:-(

The JW's in my area seem to love me. They have been here probably half a dozen times this year. I always engage them in debate as I think it's fun. Things only ever got heated once. One of them went so far as to tell me that the longer I avoid God the more miserable my life would get. It was quite an assumption and it ended with me telling them that I'm not buying what they're selling. Best thing is to do is to not take their material, as I think they view it as a "win".