Goodbye Jesus

Reverence For Dependent Co-Arising

Legion

Gee, I know I'm not welcome here, but I thought I asked a reasonable question. Thanks for the response, BD. The rest - never mind.

Oh yeah- I didn't realize this was in the "Exchristian Spirituality" section where comments from us heathens are not welcome.

Sorry I intruded. Carry on, Enlightened Ones.

:sing:

If Legion says that

he holds something dear,

then I'll be sure to

evoke his tears.

He's been such an

asshole to me.

I figure that I'm just

his Karma, you see.

Deva, Do you believe in a literal, supernatural Karma and reincarnation? Is so, I am interested in what convinced you of their validity.

....Why are you interested?

I suppose that it's an intellectual curiosity at this point, trying understand someone else's perspective. smile.png

That's a good enough reason. I don't have time right now, but will PM you later so as not to further derail this thread.

Yes it does. Thank you. I would like to talk with you in greater depth about pratitya-samutpada in order to see how it is similar to, and different from, aition in your mind. But I don't want to be distracted with irrelevant comments from others during the discussion.

This is a busy weekend for me. I'll try to elaborate when I have some time.

That's a good enough reason. I don't have time right now, but will PM you later so as not to further derail this thread.

Thanks, Deva. I look forward to it.

Object, flow, and relation

This is how the things appeared

First thing I saw was matter.

Then it went and disappeared.

Next thing I saw was movement

form of justice in the air.

There were ups linked to some downs.

cost to us of leaving chairs.

Then I saw this wonderous thing

prati...tya...sumut...pada

the interconnectedness

see it and you see darma

But I may choose suffering

I think my people need me

It may be pain and learning

Ask bold, and accept humbly.

I'll try to elaborate when I have some time.

I look forward to it. Thank you.

What might be some of the consequences for me, if I had reverence for dependent co-arising?

It's rather obvious, I think, that everything affects everything. Every action precipitates other actions. No man is an island. The Butterfly Effect. Some look at this, our reality, as some kind of mystical Buddhist revelation. To me, simpleton that I am, the interconnected state of everything is self evident. Everything is "mutually causative." Is that even in question anywhere?

Am I missing something, or are you (and Buddhists) making it more complex than necessary? I really don't know the answer to that.

If it seems self-evident then that's a good sign that this way of understanding is making its way to culture at large. This wasn't always the case. The Butterfly Effect you cited comes from Chaos Theory, which only really came into fruition in the mid-1900's. Not so self-evident before this apparently.

interconnectedandinterdependent

Legion, I'm interested in what you have read concerning aition which has lead you to associate it with pratitya-samutpada. The difference may be as simple as the difference between the Western literal interpretation of time vs. the Eastern cyclical view, but I am not sure that I have ever associated the two concepts prior to reading your OP.

My understanding of aition is one of origin stories and elementary lessons regarding human nature and relations. The pratitya-samutpada is all about perpetual relations, influences, dependencies, and effects.

In my current perspective, the primary contribution to the masses of the common Buddhist philosophy is the concept of living in the moment, in contentment.

I keep seeing Reverence for Co-dependent Arising too.

Where do you see that, aside from what is highlighted when you click "View New Content" on ex-christian.net?

Where do you see that, aside from what is highlighted when you click "View New Content" on ex-christian.net?

When I view new content my mind plays tricks on me and that's how I read it.