Goodbye Jesus

Want To Go To The University Of Oxford To Study Theology

Victory2011

I would like to go to the University of Oxford to earn a Ph.D in Theology. It will not be easy, I am going to have to speak to an academic counselor and work out a path and a plan of how someone in my situation can get there.

I would love to go to one of the top Universities and study the Bible and the one thing I love the most: GOD

It really would not get any better than that, for me anyway. I want to understand more, learn, and spread the gospel....especially to those religious folks out there who know everything, but do not know Jesus Christ Himself. It is my heart's desire to be there in a few years time. I need to take the GREs and everything else that comes along with the application process. I am getting a Masters in Divinity right now, but it is not from a very prestigious school. BUT I do know that with God, ALL things are possible!

http://www.theology....n-theology.html

Interesting. Do you get more support for this goal by sharing it with a group of ex Christians than you do with Christians? If so, you might want to do a double major in case you learn things that might make you change your mind and want to go into a different field.

Consider reading Bart Ehrman's, "Jesus Interrupted" if you haven't already. Ehrman was in a similar situation but had no ex-C forum to turn to when he had questions. Instead he went in convinced that nothing could shake his faith in god until he began to study the Bible historically and-- horizontally.

Good luck and be sure never to question your teachers. Questioning is bad news. Never do it.

Vic,

I haven't been the most active member lately, and you haven't been terribly prolific on this board. Even so, I recognized your name, and went back to scan a couple of your OPs.

The grammatical error someone pointed out notwithstanding, you can put together a coherent paragraph, a skill you would need at Oxford (along with many more). You also seem like you might have the potential for critical thought.

It fascinates me that there are some areas of studies one can earn an advanced degree in that are shams, and theology is the quintessential example. Oxford offers a fine education in general, and I would suppose that in terms of scholarship their program would be as good as it gets. Assuming you were to to succeed at your ambitious plan of getting accepted (or if you studied theology in depth elsewhere), you might well come to see your religion for the sham that it is. Best of luck.

Are you a glutton for punishment? Why would you come to a site like this and espouse intents that will only bring a backlash? Many will give sincere and/or intelligent discourse an objective listen but it is obvious that you are up to something else. You really are sticking out like a troll. You should refrain from such rhetoric on this site. Go to church and share with those who will stroke you with approval.

• Like 1

Better be careful. A critical study of the bible, its history, and the early church's establishment (thanks to Constantine) often leads to one becoming an ex-christian.

I was going to say the exact same thing, I really can't understand why anyone who does an honest critical study of the bible remains a christian. There are many here who lost their faith when they finally got serious and studied.

• Like 2

Going to the same college for theology that Dawkins works for sounds like a death sentence for your faith to me.

Oh, Victory2011, you want to come join us as an ex-christian!! Good for you! Quick, grab your bible and start reading. The Ex-Christian Testimonies section is just down the hall on your right. See you there! Don't forget to stop off for a dose of rejection and judgement from your friends and family on the way- it's a blast, promise!!!

• Like 1

Well, whether you're going there to study theology, physics, literature, or just to wait tables in a pub, you couldn't pick a better place to do it. I was only a tourist there for a couple of days, but Oxford is one of the most amazing places I've ever been and I envy anyone who actually goes there.

Plus, I would expect a graduate of their school of theology to have a more sophisticated and interesting view of religion than the douchebags excreted by places like Liberty University or Bob Jones University. Go for it! And don't forget to send me a sweatshirt.

..... I want to understand more, learn, and spread the gospel....especially to those religious folks out there who know everything, but do not know Jesus Christ Himself.

'Jesus Christ Himself™'! I thought his last name was Christ, not Himself? What a confusing post! Are studying Jesus™, The Real Jesus™, or are you studying Jesus Christ Himself™ that must be a neighbor of yours? If you are studying The Real Jesus™, then you cannot be studying Jesus Christ Himself™. Damn! It's like talking to a wall!

Better be careful. A critical study of the bible, its history, and the early church's establishment (thanks to Constantine) often leads to one becoming an ex-christian.

I was going to say the exact same thing, I really can't understand why anyone who does an honest critical study of the bible remains a christian. There are many here who lost their faith when they finally got serious and studied.

Yep, I started their larnin' process at Trinity Seminary School. Got only as far as Moses crossing the Red Sea and dropped out. The lecturer on the subject came across as someone smoking crack when he added his belief that Moses would have crossed on 'frozen ground', which indicated to me he did not read his own babble, and I didn't want to spend a few grand listening to that shit. So I went and started my own ministry and taught my own shit. Then when what was coming out of my mouth caught up with my head, I just couldn't keep teaching the babble and its mythologies any more. I came across a scripture that went something like, 'be ye therefore transformed by the renewing of your mind,' so I deconverted. It was a painful process but I got through it and anyone with or without a degree in theology should be able to also. Thousands of Christians go to classes and spend big bucks for a worthless degree, as it's been pointed out, but few question the teaching they get and use their degree to prove how 'christian' they are. They did go to school after all, and paid a lot of money, so it must be a valid degree! Even Christians try to be elitists too. When I was a fundy, I found the Christian elite to be some of the most pompous of douchebags even by Christian standards.