Goodbye Jesus

Who Does God Actually Love?

London

Too often I see and hear people spouting on and on about gods love. Feeling his love, being loved by him etc.

<choke> <choke> <puke>

So it made me think, who does god claim to actually love. Where in the bible are the verses that say who god actually loves, not claims as his people, but who he admits to loving. I honestly cannot remember any of that.

So my question to all who are very familiar with the text, where does god say directly who he loves.

I suspect that there are none. I suspect that god never proclaimed his love to humans.

Am I wrong?

Too often I see and hear people spouting on and on about gods love. Feeling his love, being loved by him etc.

<choke> <choke> <puke>

So it made me think, who does god claim to actually love. Where in the bible are the verses that say who god actually loves, not claims as his people, but who he admits to loving. I honestly cannot remember any of that.

So my question to all who are very familiar with the text, where does god say directly who he loves.

I suspect that there are none. I suspect that god never proclaimed his love to humans.

Am I wrong?

That is another question I have: Think of everything your parents have done for you and if you have kids, think of everything you have done for your kids. Think of the sacrifices made for that toy, that suit of clothes, the grief when you or the kids fucked up bad etc.

Now let us look at our heavenly father: all he has to do is wish it and:

no more suffering, no more illness etc, etc

Also, how is it tempting God to ask for something non selfish?

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world...

Omitting the rest of the messy verse with all the conditional stuff. If he loves the world, that would presumably include everyone and everything.

I think the book of John is the one where this idea is presented. God is love. I think it is stated outright, but can't remember exactly the verse. Of course if God IS love, that would mean logically that God loves, and where we experience love, we experience God.

I have been out of church and not reading the Bible for so long I can't really remember any other ones.

Omitting the rest of the messy verse with all the conditional stuff. If he loves the world, that would presumably include everyone and everything.

I think the book of John is the one where this idea is presented. God is love. I think it is stated outright, but can't remember exactly the verse. Of course if God IS love, that would mean logically that God loves, and where we experience love, we experience God.

I have been out of church and not reading the Bible for so long I can't really remember any other ones.

Isn't it odd that he gave his son's life for us, but cannot give a child starving in a mumbai slum a plate of food?

God does claim to love his people a couple of times in the old testament:

7 The Lord did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples. 8 But it was because the Lord loved you and kept the oath he swore to your ancestors that he brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

Deuteronomy 7:7

“When Israel was a child, I loved him,

and out of Egypt I called my son.

2 But the more they were called,

the more they went away from me.[a]

They sacrificed to the Baals

and they burned incense to images.

3 It was I who taught Ephraim to walk,

taking them by the arms;

but they did not realize

it was I who healed them.

4 I led them with cords of human kindness,

with ties of love.

To them I was like one who lifts

a little child to the cheek,

and I bent down to feed them.

Hosea 11

However, this is always the love of an abusive husband:

"If you stay with me I will treat you well, but if you dare to even look at someone else I will kick the shit out of you."

Edit: This video nails it.

• Like 1

'"As it is written, 'Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.'" So anyone who was descended from the guy who got cheated out of his father's blessing is out of luck.

@Leith: the abusive-marriage relationship is all over the bible. Take Hosea 2:2-23.

He loves himself, the entire bible is evident of this. Your entire existence is for Gods pleasure, itsself narcissistic love.

He loves himself, the entire bible is evident of this. Your entire existence is for Gods pleasure, itsself narcissistic love.

I feel really stupid, that one was so obvious, it's everywhere you look these days. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Isn't it odd that he gave his son's life for us, but cannot give a child starving in a mumbai slum a plate of food?

Exactly, he does not really love anyone. "god loves you" are just 3 words, nothing more, no meaning what so ever.

That video was very helpful. I just knew there was a contradiction I was missing.

'"As it is written, 'Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.'"

He is so crabby and unloving.

He's like a sadist just getting off on people's pain.

Thanks for the help. I was beginning to doubt what I was remembering. I get really tired of all the things xians make up about god and xianity when they don't exist in the bible or are twisted to make it all look like a Disney movie.

It's a low budget horror flick about a psycho king that terrorizes his kingdom. A complete sociopath!

Which by the way I wanted to mention, lately when I revisit some of these tales and people are actually having a conversation with god, it really sounds like it's some emperor, ruler, whatever. And everyone calls him lord. Even though I have known for decades that it is all written by man, the older I get the more glaring it is, almost to absurdity.

God does claim to love his people a couple of times in the old testament:

7 The Lord did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples. 8 But it was because the Lord loved you and kept the oath he swore to your ancestors that he brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

Deuteronomy 7:7

“When Israel was a child, I loved him,

and out of Egypt I called my son.

2 But the more they were called,

the more they went away from me.[a]

They sacrificed to the Baals

and they burned incense to images.

3 It was I who taught Ephraim to walk,

taking them by the arms;

but they did not realize

it was I who healed them.

4 I led them with cords of human kindness,

with ties of love.

To them I was like one who lifts

a little child to the cheek,

and I bent down to feed them.

Hosea 11

However, this is always the love of an abusive husband:

"If you stay with me I will treat you well, but if you dare to even look at someone else I will kick the shit out of you."

Just wanted to say a BIG thanks for posting this video - I am only just coming out of Christianity (days) and would love to watch/listen/read more things that take you through the contradictions in the bible.

Just wanted to say a BIG thanks for posting this video - I am only just coming out of Christianity (days) and would love to watch/listen/read more things that take you through the contradictions in the bible.

Check this post for more. http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/52823-need-support/page__st__140#entry795431

Also that entire thread has many other links and videos.

Nehemiah 13:26 says that the bible god loved Solomon. Of course we all know how that ended up. Biblegod got pissed off with Solomon and punished him by tearing apart his kingdom, but he didn't actually punish Solomon, he punished his son after Solomon died, but it wasn't because he loved Solomon, it was for his father David's sake. More of biblegod's "pure, unconditional love" served up with god-logic for ya!

Check this post for more. http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/52823-need-support/page__st__140#entry795431

Also that entire thread has many other links and videos.

Thanks London - I appreciate the link :)

God is love. So... when two men love each other, according to the christian's own definition of love, God is there in the midst of that relationship, is he not? In fact, he is present in the very act of homosexual love. Oh no, says the christian, but that's not 'real' love. Ok, what is it? Friendship? Architecture? A watermelon?

I am only just coming out of Christianity (days) and would love to watch/listen/read more things that take you through the contradictions in the bible.

ProfMTH (the maker of that video) has a lot of great stuff on that topic.

This video, for instance, is a favourite of mine. It addresses messianic prophecies in the old testament.