Goodbye Jesus

Anyone Else From Northern Ireland?

justbreathe

I'm totally new here, this is my first post so forgive me if it's posted in the wrong place.

I'm from Belfast, although I haven't lived there for 7 years now. Anyone else from there? I feel like there's a different religious atmosphere there than anywhere else I've found, especially since the growth of American-style Evangelicalism there, and I'd love to know if anyone else shares my opinions on it.

Welcome to the forum JB :) I'm from Australia, unfortunately. I don't think we have many on here from the UK, but I'd love to hear more about what's going on in your corner of the world :)

Hi JB,

welcome to the forums. I'm from a strict Calvinist denomination in Canada (not remotely American evangelical), so I totally understand your search for people that share similar experiences. However, you will find a warm, caring and inviting group of people here so I hope you still feel comfortable... and hopefully someone from N.I. pops out!

Welcome again :) :)

Just an American here... but welcome to Ex-C!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes :)

Welcome! I'm from the green unpleasant land next to you. The brand of Christianity I was involved in has quite a strong following in Ireland, from what I remember Irish Brethren were seen as being even more strict than the English ones!

Welcome! I'm from the green unpleasant land next to you. The brand of Christianity I was involved in has quite a strong following in Ireland, from what I remember Irish Brethren were seen as being even more strict than the English ones!

Hi! I bet you'll understand more than most the type of stuff I grew up with :) It's good to know the tide is gradually turning in both our countries

I'm in the U.S. But quite of few of my ancestors way WAY back were Ulster Scots.

Love it how the Yanks love to claim their Scottish/Irish ancestry - we must be doing something right ;)

Love it how the Yanks love to claim their Scottish/Irish ancestry - we must be doing something right wink.png

Oh, I have Irish ancestry! ;)

ha! It's true, every American I've ever met (there have been a few, trust me) has claimed to be Irish somehow. Fair enough, nearly 1/3 of the population left during the Famine. And yep, Scots-Irish/Scotch-Irish is another way of saying Ulster Scot. Lots of Ulster Scots settled in what's now the deep south, I've been led to believe.

ha! It's true, every American I've ever met (there have been a few, trust me) has claimed to be Irish somehow. Fair enough, nearly 1/3 of the population left during the Famine. And yep, Scots-Irish/Scotch-Irish is another way of saying Ulster Scot. Lots of Ulster Scots settled in what's now the deep south, I've been led to believe.

I'm just a mongrel. Grey Kiwi father, mother a combination of French, German, English, and Scot. I'm your typical Aussie mongrel lol.

I meant Scottish and Irish as distinct nationalities, not Irish who wish they were Scottish.

Only 2 types of people in the world, those who are Scottish and those who wish they were :D

I meant Scottish and Irish as distinct nationalities, not Irish who wish they were Scottish.

Only 2 types of people in the world, those who are Scottish and those who wish they were biggrin.png

ahahahaha Ulster Scots do exist I'm afraid. Although I'm sure my Aberdonian grandfather would've agreed with you :P

I was born in Ingland, my family left when I was a child for the US. I remember we'd go back and visit and go to our old church, and there was all these pamphlets about "Popery" and how the pope is the antiChrist. But then we'd go to church in America and they'd say that Leonid Brezhnev was the antichrist so I didn't know what to beleive.

Only 2 types of people in the world, those who are Scottish and those who wish they were biggrin.png

ahahahaha Ulster Scots do exist I'm afraid. Although I'm sure my Aberdonian grandfather would've agreed with you tongue.png

Ulster Scot is just a label, it isn't a nationality :)

*sigh* This isn't going to be a debate in my first post, is it? I know it isn't a nationality, it's a sub-culture, and quite an old one. It started with Scottish settlers sent by the English to Ireland (mostly the North East, Ulster)who lived quite separately from the native Irish population. I identify as Ulster Scot, Irish, Northern Irish, and Nothing At All. I don't take any pride in any of the labels, but I don't like being told by others what I "am" or should be.

*sigh* This isn't going to be a debate in my first post, is it? I know it isn't a nationality, it's a sub-culture, and quite an old one. It started with Scottish settlers sent by the English to Ireland (mostly the North East, Ulster)who lived quite separately from the native Irish population. I identify as Ulster Scot, Irish, Northern Irish, and Nothing At All. I don't take any pride in any of the labels, but I don't like being told by others what I "am" or should be.

Never mind CDFree, justbreathe. She seems to lack an innate ability to interact with other people, not to mention empathy. There is an ignore option; feel free to use it. This is a place to find empathy, healing, and friendship, but nevertheless, it is the internet, and this shit happens. I'm glad you have come to this little corner of the web, and I hope you'll hang around for some time to come :)

Well, that, and we do tend to argue endlessly over the most pointless of things and usually at the most inappropriate times. ;)

Welcome anyhow. :)

And if Southern California counts then, sure, I'm from your neck of the woods too. We're all from there. :P

mwc

Never mind CDFree, justbreathe. She seems to lack an innate ability to interact with other people, not to mention empathy. There is an ignore option; feel free to use it. This is a place to find empathy, healing, and friendship, but nevertheless, it is the internet, and this shit happens. I'm glad you have come to this little corner of the web, and I hope you'll hang around for some time to come :)

I see you've forgotten to take your medication again!!!

Not a debate, but It's clear you wish you were Scottish ;)

Yes, you are quite right about the settlement in the deep south. My family geneology lists a Timmons line of some Irish ancestry. And there is a Timmonsville in South Carolina. "My" Timmons did leave during the famine and some settled in South Carolina, however, I'm not sure that the town of Timmonville was actually names after them.

Welcome to the board. I've always longed to live in Ireland.

Love it how the Yanks love to claim their Scottish/Irish ancestry - we must be doing something right wink.png

Almost everyone one in the eastern part of th united states has Irish heritage, just as everyone in Oklahoma has Cherokee.

Breeding like rabbits? Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm proud of my Irish heritage.