Jump to content

No, This Can't Be Happening


blackpudd1n
 Share

Recommended Posts

This can't be happening. Not now.

 

It's Wednesday. She was running a bit of a temperature when I took her to the vet like 12 hours ago. But otherwise, up until that point, she'd been fine. Playing, eating, happy. She's gone off her food tonight, she's not eating. Nor drinking, and she loves her water. She's become lethargic the last couple of hours. She's avoiding all contact- doesn't even want to be touched, got upset when I picked her up earlier for a cuddle. She's not playing with either myself or Bruce. She's doing everything she did when she first got uveitis as a result of having the coronavirus. Also, her eye has started getting squinty again.

 

I had six months to go. All she had to do was get through another six months without getting sick again. It's 4:30am, and I'm not going to be getting any sleep tonight. I keep hoping that she's just reacting to the vaccination, because I know it can make them feel a little off, but she was running a bit of a temp when I got there. So if she hasn't perked up a bit by 8:30am, I'm taking her back to the vet.

 

Not only that, but I know she is unwell by how Bruce is carrying on. He has been distressed and sooky all night. He keeps howling and howling, and got really upset when he tried to play with her and she lashed out at him. When he's not howling, he's sitting just next to her, but not snuggled up like they normally do, like he understands that she doesn't want to be touched. When she's not sleeping, she's just sitting in the corner. It's not like her; she's usually so active and affectionate.

 

I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to pay for the vet tomorrow; I'll work something out. If it comes to it, I'll use the grocery money and other bill money. I've got some funds that I had put aside to more than cover their boarding fees while I am in hospital, but they're tied up in the bank, and being a Sunday, I won't be able to access them until Monday. At the very least I can pay part of the bill tomorrow, and the rest on Monday after going to the bank.

 

You know what just hit me, though? I haven't prayed tonight. Not once. While all of this has been going on, I didn't pray once. I just had a cry, called my dad, pulled myself together, and started focusing on the issue at hand. Fuck, my mind goes weird places at weird times lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

(((((Pudd)))))

 

(((((her puddins)))))

 

Keeping fingers crossed for your lil' furball...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

(((((Pudd)))))

 

(((((her puddins)))))

 

Keeping fingers crossed for your lil' furball...

 

Thanks man :) These two are my babies. All my maternal instincts go into them. I just want to cuddle her, but she doesn't want to be touched. And I keep trying to placate Bruce, but he's too upset. Only three more hours until the vet opens. I'll be waiting for them when they do. Either way, I'm going to be taking her in. Even if it's just to check her temperature. last time she got sick it got up to 41 degrees celcius; they start fitting at 41.5 degrees. At this stage, she hasn't crawled under the couch, but if she does, I'm calling the vet immediately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really sorry BP. I hope she perks up soon. I would feel just terrible if this happened to my Cazzo so I can really empathize with you here.

 

Thanks Vig. She still hasn't perked up. I don't like it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Her eyes are good, but she's still lethargic and grumpy as all hell. She just hissed at Bruce for moving in his sleep or something. I wish the vet would hurry up and open; I'm struggling to stay awake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

This is just a big, fat hug to keep you going hon....Got my fingers crossed for you.....hang in darlin'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh my gosh, I didn't realize it was that bad. BP, (HUGS) to you and a blown kiss to your sweet kitty (can't hug a kitty in that state after all). It's so scary and sad when a pet isn't doing right. Oh I really hope it's just a reaction and she'll be okay. Here's hoping it's something easy or nonexistent. :) Good luck sweetie. Good luck to you and to Wednesday. Let's go play video games. Just a bit more to go and you can get her to the vet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Babylonian Dream

You know what just hit me, though? I haven't prayed tonight. Not once. While all of this has been going on, I didn't pray once. I just had a cry, called my dad, pulled myself together, and started focusing on the issue at hand. Fuck, my mind goes weird places at weird times lol.

You're exactly like me aren't you, when you finally stopped going back to praying when things go wrong, you instead think about how you're not praying? I'm like that with alot of things though.

 

I hope for the best for the pudds. Hope your sick Pudd feels better soon!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hope things are okay with your little one Pudd. Well done on keeping it together and taking care of everything with a fairly level head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dad came over, and drove me to the vet (I've been up for 25 hours straight now- not a condition to drive in), got there right on opening time. They hadn't actually opened yet, so I rang, and the vet nurse came out, opening the door with a smile. I've gotten to know the staff there really well over the last six months, and they all love Wednesday. I told her that it was Wednesday, and she wasn't doing well, and she let us in and ran for the vet, who came rushing out and saw to her immediately.

 

Wednesday's temperature at 9am had already climbed to 40.4 degrees celsius. Knowing that Wednesday doesn't react well to most antibiotics, and fearing that she would start vomiting at some stage, the vet opted against giving her them, and instead gave her a shot of antihistamines, and a shot of an anti-inflammatory. Even the vet could tell that Wednesday wasn't herself, she was feeling too sick to care what the vet did to her and barely reacted to anything. The vet wanted to keep her for a couple of hours for observation, and told me to call at 11am to check on her. So dad and I went and had a coffee.

 

Come 11am, I gave the vet a call, and they hadn't been able to even touch Wednesday, let alone get temperature reading- her crankiness had reached complete non-cooperation stage, so dad and I drove back so I could settle her down and get her temp. They weren't kidding when they said she was uncooperative; she was in all-out feral mode, hissing and snarling, every hair standing on end. I just talked to her for a moment, picked her up, and took her into a room by ourselves for a few minutes, and calmed her down. Poor darling, she wasn't feeling well, she was cranky, she was stressed because some dogs they had in hospital had been barking, and her separation anxiety had kicked in when I left her there.

 

We were able to get her temperature, but it had only dropped to 40.2 degrees celsius. So we agreed that I'd take her home, monitor her overnight, and call the vet in the morning to report on her. I've got another three days worth of anti-inflammatories for her, too. At this stage, we're not entirely sure what's wrong; the vet thinks it may have been either she was fighting a minor flare-up with the coronavirus when she was vaccinated yesterday, and she wasn't able to cope with the vaccination; or, the uveitis is coming back, and I've caught it in the early stages. She was in the upper levels of the normal range for temperature yesterday, but as she had been playing normally, eating well, drinking, and everything else, we'd decided to go ahead and vaccinate her. And she was pretty much normal up until about 8:30pm last night, after which she just went downhill really fast. Personally, I don't think she's had a reaction to just the vaccine, simply because she hasn't reacted in the past, and last year was when she was getting her kitten vaccinations done. But a note has been put on her file that she may react, and she's to be given precautionary medication along with any future vaccinations. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and have to deal with her being sick again. She's been sick too much already in her short life, between the coronavirus, and the uveitis and food intolerances that that caused. And I'm still not out of the woods with her with regards to whether or not she'll develop Feline Infectious Peritonitis, which will be fatal if the coronavirus mutates.

 

So now, she's home, and I've got to keep an eye on her. The vet thinks she should be okay, but if she's still off her food or starts vomiting or having diarrhoea by tomorrow morning, she's got to be seen again. The vet said she was glad that I brought her in straight away, because of how fast and how high her temperature had climbed overnight. She didn't charge me for a consult, only medication, which came to a total of $31.

 

Thanks for all the support guys, I really appreciate it. It's been a hell of a night and morning. I'm going to try and get some sleep when I can unwind a bit. I've got another long night ahead of me, keeping an eye on her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about Wednesday. One of ours reacts really badly to one of the vaccines (FIV I think).

 

It is intensely painful for him and he always gets taken back for pain relief. You're a good cat mum for being so alert and caring about her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

(((Wednesday, Bruce & BP))) Hope she's doing better and feeling better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She's perked up a lot :) She's had a couple of small feeds now, and even wanted a tummy rub just before :) She's also talking again :) She's still rather quiet, and sleeping more than usual, but she's looking a hell of a lot better than she did when I took her to the vet this morning. She's actually got a bit of spark and life back in her, which is a relief. She's a lot happier than she was last night, and Bruce is a lot calmer. She's not quite 100% yet, but it's a huge improvement on how she was :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

She's perked up a lot smile.png She's had a couple of small feeds now, and even wanted a tummy rub just before smile.png She's also talking again smile.png She's still rather quiet, and sleeping more than usual, but she's looking a hell of a lot better than she did when I took her to the vet this morning. She's actually got a bit of spark and life back in her, which is a relief. She's a lot happier than she was last night, and Bruce is a lot calmer. She's not quite 100% yet, but it's a huge improvement on how she was smile.png

biggrin.png

 

Very happy to hear this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She's perked up a lot smile.png She's had a couple of small feeds now, and even wanted a tummy rub just before smile.png She's also talking again smile.png She's still rather quiet, and sleeping more than usual, but she's looking a hell of a lot better than she did when I took her to the vet this morning. She's actually got a bit of spark and life back in her, which is a relief. She's a lot happier than she was last night, and Bruce is a lot calmer. She's not quite 100% yet, but it's a huge improvement on how she was smile.png

biggrin.png

 

Very happy to hear this.

 

:) Yeah, I'm really relieved :) Having a sick animal on your hands is bad enough, but I've been walking on a tightrope with her for the last six months, watching for the slightest change in her health. It's scary, wondering every day if today is the day the virus will mutate, and what of the two forms that mutation will take, and whether I'll be able to get the trial medication in from America in time to save her if if takes the one form that it works with. The medication is released purely on compassion grounds; it's taking a long time to trial even though they've been trialing it for years, simply because the mutation can not be reproduced under lab conditions. The age of the cat and its genetic makeup determines whether the virus will mutate, so basically the researchers have to wait for cats to come to them with the mutation in order to trial it. So far the results have been promising for one form of the mutation; it doesn't cure it, but the cat is able to live happily with the FIP, and their bloodwork returns to normal on the treatment. Currently, FIP is a death sentence; the wet version will kill the cat within days to weeks of the mutation, and the dry form will kill it within weeks to months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She's perked up a lot smile.png She's had a couple of small feeds now, and even wanted a tummy rub just before smile.png She's also talking again smile.png She's still rather quiet, and sleeping more than usual, but she's looking a hell of a lot better than she did when I took her to the vet this morning. She's actually got a bit of spark and life back in her, which is a relief. She's a lot happier than she was last night, and Bruce is a lot calmer. She's not quite 100% yet, but it's a huge improvement on how she was smile.png

 

That's fantastic! woohoo.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so glad your kittay is better! I don't know how I missed this thread yesterday.

 

At the Ro-bear house we have two new kittays; they were on the road next to dead momma cat. One had one of its eyes all goopy. They are wild as can be, but they are starting to settle down a bit. They are more interested in food than affection at this point. Of course there is a trust issue because about half the time we grab them we do unpleasant medical stuff. The girls talked me into letting them keep them. The cat with seniority is a bit put off by this new development and is spending even more time outside. Hopefully she makes nice before it gets cold. I told the girls that if the beagle eats the little furballs, it's their fault. So far beagle is behaving like a gentleman.

 

Well, that's all my kitty news. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.