Goodbye Jesus

What Does Your Name Mean In Christianese?

Kaiser01

I don't know if you have seen these before but i saw a big book in a Christian gift shop full of the "biblical" meaning for names. I quickly turned to my own and laughed my ass of.

My name, Zachary, means "God hath remembered," or "remembered by God."

I just wallow in the irony of this statement, just another reason to know God had no idea what he was doing.

What does your name mean in Christianese?

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Christopher - "Bearer of Christ"

Couldn't bear it any longer. Sorry, imaginary friend. I guess I am now the Antichristopher. AC for short.

• Like 4

Kirsten - "Stone church" on one site I saw and "Follower of Christ" on another GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

My name Justin, from Wikipedia -

Anglicized form of the Latin given name Justinus, a derivative of Justus, or "just." Justinus was the name borne by various early saints, notably a 2nd-century Christian apologist and a boy martyr of the 3rd century (possibly spurious). As an English name, Justin has enjoyed considerable popularity in the second part of the 20th century.

Ehh. I guess I'm not just in the eyes of god, but that's cool. I'm obviously more just than he is.

Robert: "bright with glory". It's a German name, and as far as I know, it is secular. At least I hope it is.

• Like 2

I think Walter translates into 'Walter?'

• Like 1

According to babynames.com, 'Walter' means 'army ruler'.

Rachel- lamb.

Oh this one good. I arranged my in to a sentence that makes sense but uses all three parts of my name. Brave People Love Horses because its God's Will. Thibodeau, Philip , David

• Like 1

oh man... I searched and searched but Kristen always comes back "follower of Christ"-- Baby Name Fail.

I like your idea, Eleandrus. In three parts my means:

Follower of Christ, God will Increase. From the Peat Moss.

Errrr... not quite as exciting as I'd hoped!

• Like 2

My given name meant "noble." But it's not in the bible. Guess I was born a noble heretic.

At least the heretic part is right. Noble would have been out of place in my neighborhood. I don't think they have any names that mean "scruffy working class scum."

Glad I didn't get saddled with one of those god or Jesus names. Amazing how many of you poor people got stuck with those.

Kristen....follower of Christ, annointed one depending on who you ask...

My given name is Hope. GUESS WHAT IT MEANS. It was popular among puritans. And christards still love to froth and go "YER NAME IZ SUCH A GLERIOOS TESTURMERNT!" and make me want to punch them.

My middle name is Marie - French Mary. But also the name of a Voodoo queen of legend. Suck it! xD

Full name meaning:

Carpenter; Beautiful song; Port by the sea.

My name is not at all biblical. It's about as Anglo-Saxon as you can get.

Matthew- gift from Yahweh

Well duh for my middle name (Christian)... my first name is 100 % certified heathen in origin so I'm sure it would translate to Saaataaan or Demon or such shit to them :fdevil:

Originally though it "just" means "Warrior of Thor" :lmao:

Daniel = Hebrew origin; "God is my judge" yelrotflmao.gif

I've thought on occasion of jettisoning the "-el" ("God") to leave "Dani", not officially but in practice. Many people I meet probably aren't aware of its Christianese meaning though.

Sarah-princess

Which is funny, because I always thought Sarah in the bible was a jerk.

• Like 1

My given name meant "noble." But it's not in the bible. Guess I was born a noble heretic.

At least the heretic part is right. Noble would have been out of place in my neighborhood. I don't think they have any names that mean "scruffy working class scum."

Glad I didn't get saddled with one of those god or names. Amazing how many of you poor people got stuck with those.

Me too. "Noble" or "of the Nobility". Trying to explain it to my Tibetan teacher I said "of noble birth". He liked that.

I am not crazy about my name. It's too long and sounds ugly to me except when a Spanish or French person says it.

From wikipedia:

Renée (often spelled without the accent in non-French speaking countries) is a French feminine first name.

Renée is the female form of René, with the extra –e making it feminine according to French grammar.[1] The name René is the French form of the late Roman name Renatus and the meaning is reborn or born again. In medieval times, the meaning was associated with the Christian concept of being spiritually born again through baptism.[2]

My middle name is Joy, which is kind of self-explanatory. So my name means "Born Again Joy". About as fundy as they come.

But, I guess I am reborn; reborn as an atheist, that is zDuivel7.gif And I'm very joyful about thatzDuivel7.gif

• Like 1

First Name = "God's Gift"

Middle name = "of Flaming glory"

Sounds like god gave you a nasty Urinary Tract Infection.

• Like 2

Sounds like god gave you a nasty Urinary Tract Infection.

Lol. thankfully, no.

• Like 2

Sarah-princess

Which is funny, because I always thought Sarah in the bible was a jerk.

I always hated her. She let Abraham rape her maid so the maid would have a child, who would legally be Sarah's child. Then when the maid didn't like Sarah, she kicked her and the kid out into the desert where they could have died. And the bible boneheads sing her praises about how she was a godly woman and all women should follow her meek, modest example.

On the bright side, there are Sarah Jessica Parker, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Sarah Ferguson (Duchess of York), and Sarah Edmonds, who dressed up as a man to fight in the American Civil War.

• Like 1

My first daughters middle name is Faith, and my second one's is Love. We did have a dog at one point named Hope.