Goodbye Jesus

Escape From Religion Update

highrishman

Hello again all! I've been largely absent from these here forums for a short while. I have just a tablet at home, and at times the browser seems to be a bit wonky, expecially on forums. Maybe it's good ol' Yahweh trying to keep me from all you satanic evil-doers. WendyDoh.gif

Jokes aside, I thought I'd come here and give you guys an update as to how I'm doing, as well as ask a few questions, and maybe even provide a little food for thought for some of you.

Where to start? Well, I've been an ex-christian now for several weeks, going on months. And the vast majority of that time, I feel good great about it. I must admit, there are days when I almost miss certain aspects of christianity. The main thing that this thinking stems from is the fear of death. I don't like thinking this could really be it. That's a huge think to imagine. That my time here is finite, and 25 years has already FLOWN by. Time is absolutely flying by before my eyes. People say that time goes even faster the older you get, and that scares the shit out of me, because time already passes fast. At the rate I'm going, when I'm 50 days will become minutes. And honestly, I think it's mainly because I enjoy and love life so much.

Even as an ex-c, the thought of a perfect afterlife with my friends and family seems amazing. Throw in the fact that we'll never have pain or sorrow, the streets are paved with gold, and you can sign me up! However, I know that it is not true. That place doesn't exist. And mortality is something I've come to terms with.

This leads me to a question for all, and any of you. How did you cope with the fact that there is no heaven? Was it difficult for you?

In search of answers, I've searched myself and tried to find what I believe for myself. The belief I seem to resonate with most is that we were born of this universe, we were formed from the same thing the planets, stars, and everything else is made up of. I've always honestly believed that we humans have a connection with the earth, nature, and even the cosmos themselves. I'm far from calling myself a pantheist, but I've enjoyed learning about pantheism.

So, question number two; In your escape from christianity, did you find something else to believe in? I'm so interested in learning about the world with a free mind.

Anyways, these past few months have been a rollercoaster for me on the religious front. While I am confident, and believe me ecstatic to be away from religion, it's still been difficult for me to let go of something I believed for 24 years of my life. And believe me, something about being free from that mindset has just made me so happy. I get butterflies in my stomach when I think about it. In fact, I'm so happy about it, I can't help but talk about it with some of my friends and family.

Should I feel obligated to tell my family about it? You should know that my family is a very close family. I've had discussions with most of my family about the subject, but I haven't come right out and said "I'm not a believer." The person I'm most worried about is my dad, because he and I are best friends really. He's a blind follower type, and he's also the type that gets mad when you present evidence contrary to his belief. Even if it's based in fact. An example: Just yesterday when talking about what we know about our existence through modern technology contradicting the bible, he actually said to me "How am I supposed to believe a bunch of guys have a telescope that can see billions of lightyears into space?" to which I replied "You'd rather believe an old book written by men thousands of year ago with no verifiable proof?" And of course, as you'd imagine this is where he got sort of frustrated and just puts up a wall blocking out anything that doesn't coincide with his beliefs.

I understand though, I used to do the same exact thing. The thing is, I want to tell him so that we don't have these awkward discussions about religion, and worst of all he doesn't keep asking me to pray at dinners and such. But I also know that he will react saying it's his fault for failing as the head of the house, and he wasn't a good enough dad and all that, and I really don't want to go through all that. He'll constantly worry and pray for me (he ended the conversation yesterday by saying " I won't worry, I'll lift you up to God's hands and He'll take care of the rest.) and I don't want to put him through that worry.

Just realized Ive kind of been rambling here. Sorry folks, I suppose I needed to get all the thoughts out onto... eh... screen? Nevermind that. I suppose I'll summarize by saying that while I'm fervently standing my guard as an ex-c, there are things that make it difficult at the same time. But I'm confident in my beliefs, and that's important.

Ultimately though, my questions are:

1) How did/do you come to terms with mortality, and did/do you struggle with that fact?

2) After deconverting, did you find something else to believe in? Or did you abandon any kind of religion/belief at all, in an effort to just live and let live?

3) Should I feel obligated to "come out" to my friends and family?

Thanks to any who read this, and thanks to those who take the time to respond! Have a great day!

Wait, you're not all the devil are you?

Goodbye Jesus

Hello, Highrishman. Welcome back. In answer to your questions:

1. I still get the occasional bit of fear when I think about death, particularly when it comes to the actual dying part. I sometimes wonder out of curiosity what it actually feels like. It's not something I dwell on much. I don't worry about the part after the dying is over. As others have pointed out, I didn't know I wasn't alive for the 13 billion years or so during which the universe existed without me, and I most likely won't be aware that I'm no longer around once I'm dead.
  2. No, I didn't find anything else to believe in. I can't say I've really looked, either. I know that many people feel the need to have some sort of spirituality in their lives, but I'm not one of those people. I don't feel like I'm missing something. I don't feel incomplete. I don't feel I need some connection with the universe or some great spirit or consciousness. I'm happy just being a part of the universe as I am.
  3. That's entirely up to you. For those of us that are married, it can make a difference in our relationships with our spouses if we want to be honest about how we feel. I kind of figure it doesn't matter one way or the other when it comes to relationships with anyone else.

No, I'm not the devil. I'm just one of his minions.

1) How did/do you come to terms with mortality, and did/do you struggle with that fact?

2) After deconverting, did you find something else to believe in? Or did you abandon any kind of religion/belief at all, in an effort to just live and let live?

Nice to hear from you again, highirishman! Good questions, too.

My thoughts:

1. It's always weird to butt our heads against the idea that someday I just won't exist. That's a conundrum the brain just doesn't handle well. In my case, I never missed the idea of heaven because a) it always seemed so vague and downright boring and B ) I never expected to get there, anyhow. For me, though, it took years after my deconversion to get over the fear of hell. In fact, I doubt I'll ever completely be free of that evil scare tactic.

2. After deconverting, I spent years exploring all manner of belief (including other types of Christianity). I felt a lot of spiritual longing, but never once did I feel I found anything that would fulfill that longing. I concluded: there may be mysteries in the world, but anyone who claims to have solved them is just peddling woo.

3. I would tell my family and at least close friends. But that's just me. I can't live without honesty and openness. But I know for some people peace is more important, and they may want to avoid both confrontations and hurting the feelings of Christians who are close to them. I agree with Thought2Much; to tell or not is up to you. Go with your heart, gut, and brain on that one.

And keep us devils posted. :-)

1. Im am very familiar with those feelings. I am still settling into the idea of no afterlife. I am comfortable with the idea now but everyday it settles in more and more. Also, my life's mission was changed abruptly so I now live my life differently. It was almost as if someone deflated a ballon or as the finish line of the race of life was suddenly moved much closer. I live my life a lot different now.

2. Since deconverting, I now have my guard up. Particular to silly outlandish ideas with no basis so I have not found another religion nor do I plan on finding one since it all seems pretty silly at this point but since xianity has been disproven to me finding some happy religion is not at all important to me.

3. To expand on my above answer, i think looking back religion has severely hindered the progress of humans (no stem cell research because life is sacred, science is considered witchcraft, planning a family is putting us in control when it should be god's, i could go on forever). Because of that I would like to one day stand publicly against religion. I think people need a voice. Not that Im the one to do it, but i hate to have people suppress their intellect out of fear. People need to know they are not alone and they need to see that atheists are not evil. TTA show recently said something to the effect that "If you don't believe in the talking snake you need to get your head checked" thats sad but true. The pendulum needs to swing. its 2012. Because of all this that I felt compelled to tell at least my wife and raise my kids as logical thinkers. I'll tell them one day too.

Ditto what T2M said. If were are not conscious after death, then who the heck cares?

I live my life the same way...with love, compassion, and generosity. And it works exactly the same without a theistic belief. Who knew? ;)

Depends on our circumstances, but I couldn't imagine keeping that to myself, and especially not at your age. That's a long time to keep a secret. I say just live your life admirably and answer questions if the are directly asked. More importantly, if you get married, make sure she is on the same page.

Lots of good advice everyone, thanks! I totally jive with what you're all saying. I'm not saying I have to find something to believe in, because it's great to think with a free mind, and I wouldn't want to move from one controlling religion and/or belief, right into another. But I do think it's important to explore religions and other belief systems to better understand this world.

T2M your response about not being aware for the 13 billion years or whatever, and I've never thought of it that way. Quite the insight there! I guess my qualms with mortality are that there's so much to experience in this world. I'm generally pretty happy with what the universe has thrown my way, so on one hand I'm not worried about it, what I don't want to be on my death bed asking myself what I've could've done differently. But thinking about that, I don't think that I will be, seeing as I'm rather optimistic.

1. The truth is none of us knows what will happen to us after we die. There might be some cosmic plan and re-incarnation process of spiritual evolution going on.

I think it's unlikely because the evidence suggests that everything that makes me aware will disintegrate when I die. It's not pleasant but then again the prospect of living forever is arguably worse. Fuck me, the boredom! My favourite things will become tired and irrelevant. Also I don't want to run into my ex-boss in the afterlife.

The afterlife I've described is obviously temporal. One in which time doesn't exist is meaningless to me so what's the point in thinking about it?

2. I got into New Age stuff after deconverting from christianity such as The Secret and even clairvoyance! I actually still quite like it and it has something relevant and positive to say but I don't really believe it is true. I'm a hard-nosed rational skeptic now.

3. In terms of coming out, make sure you are protected financially and emotionally first and you have an exit strategy worked out if necessary.

• Super Moderator

1) The idea of death doesn't bother me. I've had a good life, and everything dies eventually - even star systems such as ours. Since there can be no brain activity after death, there is nothing to perceive. I have no experiences from the time prior to birth, why should I afterwards? Neuroscience has made great strides in discovering the mechanisms that cause some people to accept a supernatural answer to a brain chemistry cause. All scientific evidence points to consciousness being generated and residing in the living brain.

2) I tried. I studied every angle on "spiritual" stuff, but ultimately I came up empty. I found no reason to entertain the supernatural any further.

3) Coming out to certain people is probably essential; otherwise you must live a lie every day. I see no reason to make a general announcement to the world, but I wouldn't shy away from being honest if it comes up. Christianity is not the default position and those who disagree with their beliefs have equal right to their opinions regardless of what some self-righteous believers may think.

It's the biggest struggle for me right now. But I have no answers. I want to believe in something after this but again, I still have no answers. All I have is questions and a desire to experience enlightenment, perfection and an all-consuming love. Hard to explain... But if you think about it, our potential as humans is so much greater... Maybe we'll get there one day, maybe not. But what I'm saying is that I'd love to experience our potential in the next life, if there is one... Because we certainly won't reach it in our lifecycle™.

Highrishman! :)

As far as struggles about my mortality..YES, but I don't think on it long because then it can be depressing. I see so many people who say "I've had a good life! no regrets!!" I don't really feel that way...I've made too many mistakes

& feel like because I was in the bible cult for almost 20 years, the best years of my life...I feel cheated! Be thankful you got out of the xian cult while you are young.

Then I think of people who never had much of a chance to live & my life probably looks good to them....

I get too emotional so I just try to let it go...but I feel like life is too short & by the time you figure shit out...it's too damn late!! I want a fucking re-do!!! :D

Though I can say I have good people in my life...& so in that regards I wouldn't want the do over. :D

Like you, when I was a xian I did look forward to seeing dead loved ones in heaven...but then the whole worshiping & singing songs forever & ever & ever made me wonder about the whole xian concept of heaven.silverpenny013Hmmm.gif

I don't know what I believe, but I do know what I DON'T believe. I don't believe that bible-god is any god at all except made up in some primitive man's mind. In some ways I miss the "certainties" of the bible cult, but only the idea of certainty...I hate the dogma to this day...but there was a feeling of security in *thinking* we had it all figured out. HA!! I can laugh about that now..:Dicon_lol.gif

But I'll admit, unlike others on the forum...I still have a nagging hope of some type of afterlife. I have no proof really & it's more a hope....I hate to think I'll never communicate with loved ones again after I've died or visa versa... :(

I want to think that most people are good & loving...we aren't just lumps of clay because we all have a spirit & a personality.

So I do hope there is something better after this life, but it's not a belief system I espouse or anything..it's more a lingering hope. ;)

I agree with others who have said you are under no obligation to share your beliefs or disbeliefs with anyone. So you just have to use your judgment. Some people know I'm not a xian anymore & others don't.

Unless they bring it up....I wont share it. but my closest family & friends know the evil truth of my defection from the xian faith. zDuivel7.gifzDuivel7.giffiredevil.gificon_lol.gif

1) I'm not worried about death. It's disappointing that we don't get to live as long as we would like to, but when I am dead I will no longer care. Its hard to contemplate the idea of simply not existing. We do lose self-awareness though all the time when we sleep, so its not a totally foreign concept.

2) Not really. But as a non-religious person you can still form your own strong personal beliefs about morality, and politics.

3) I haven't come out to my family yet either. At this point I would think it's really up to you. Not coming out is the equivalent of telling an ongoing white lie, whether it is to prevent disappointment, rejection, or damaged relationships. But it does restrict you when you have to pretend. I don't think it's particularly easy either way, so maybe it is just a matter of choosing the least unpleasurable course. You could also try a more gradual approach - you could continue saying/hinting that you have issues with your faith by bringing up questions or objections when applicable.

Thanks to any who read this, and thanks to those who take the time to respond! Have a great day!

No, but I might the The Antichrist. :)

1) This was a hard one for me but as I get older my body betrays me more and life becomes physically painful. It seems very natural that this will eventually end. Eventually I realized that I didn't exist before I was born so it wasn't so bad. Been there, done that. Having a short life means that we have to make the most of it and make right now count.

2) For a while I tried to believe in some kind of god but I was just trying to hold onto my indoctrination. I eventually became an atheist and after a harsh adjustment I became happier in the end.

3) You are under no obligation. Tell them if you want. Keep it to yourself if you want. Don't feel guilty if you choose to go through the motions as Christians are full of hate. If you do tell them lay down some boundries so they don't walk all over you.

1. I really haven't thought much about being dead. I only got reminded about death when I hear or read something about it but then I recover eventually. Sometimes I tell myself I don't wanna die yet. I don't fear death, I just don't want to think about it. If it comes, let it come but still I'm being careful with my health and all the things that I have control with because I don't wanna cause trouble or burden to people when I get sick or become an invalid.

2. When I accepted fully that I no longer believe in god, that was the end of it. I didn't even try to search for a different religion though I kept on reading about all existing religions in the world for a while to at least get a full picture of what they are, to understand why people still believe then eventually that craving subsided.

I have a religion though, a religion of goodness!

3. The thing about telling friends and family is that, most of the times, they don't wanna ask what made you NOT believe anymore? When I renounced Christianity my family, my sister particularly, has quoted me as being influenced by my atheist husband (he hasn't accepted any religion but I still call him atheist...should I call him godless instead?) as if I don't have "thinking" of my own. But still it is much better if they know. But be ready with their reactions and treatment to you. Some of my friends consider me as attacker or trouble...trouble to their peace of mind. Lo!

And oh, I am not the devil nor the Antichrist but I may be an angel...without wings!;))

Guest wester

I don't think anyone ever comes to terms with death.

The best approach is Socrates "The unexamined life is not worth living."

or Albert Camus "A Happy Death" or "The Myth of Sisyphus"

2) After deconverting, did you find something else to believe in?

I think belief absent evidence is asking for a hard-core, severe beating from reality.

I try to follow the advice of Mr. Buddha: "To try to see the world as it really is."

or as Socrates might say: "I believe in the Truth." however horrifying or uncomfortable that might be.

If I came out directly to my mom, she would probably commit suicide. No joke.

So we just continue to play the game of pretend and make believe all watched over by machines of loving grace, even though everyone obviously knows something is awfully amiss.

Sounds like a lot of us have similar issues when it comes to coming out to family and friends. I must admit, seeing as I live in a close, loving family I'm fortunate. It's a shame that religion has such a hold on people that they'll even turn their backs on loved ones.

I try to follow the advice of Mr. Buddha: "To try to see the world as it really is."

or as Socrates might say: "I believe in the Truth." however horrifying or uncomfortable that might be.

This very premise helped expedite my "recovery" even though I am still trying to find who "I" am since I was a god-bot for so long Im having to rediscover who I really was that whole time. I know that sounds like a cheesy psych therapy non-sense but in reality I suppressed my true thoughts and feelings sometimes out of trying to be that christ-like character but quickly threw it all away as I learned the truth.

I don't like to waste time and once I determined that it wasnt true I quickly moved on from dependence on it and everything that was entailed by belief in that concept. but I still think some of the teaching are reasonable....not profound or anything we couldnt figure out innately but a good way to live.

• Like 1

I did struggle with it, and it took a while, but now... no problem at all. I was struggling with it even as a Christian. I could never feel convinced that I had all things right with God and going to Heaven. Even as a Christian, it scared me. Now, when I don't believe there is an afterlife (after the struggle), I feel I'm at peace.

Mostly abandoned it completely. Now, I see the universe, existence, reality, whatever-you-want-to-call-it (ground of all being?), as my only "religion".

No. Give it time. You'll find out eventually who you can talk to and connect to in your family. And eventually they'll see that you're not religious anymore. It's easier for them to accept that you're not into religion anymore than to come out and say you're an atheist. There's a lot of stigma in the word. It's easier for them to hear "I don't know" than "I know you're wrong."

I rarely talk to my friends or family about faith. It doesn't concern me what they believe, so it shouldn't concern them what I don't believe. My mom still tells me things like "I'm praying for you" and such. It doesn't bother me.

Yes! How did you know?

I was lucky that death wasn't something I experienced close to my deconversion, so it wasn't something that was on my mind a great deal. For a long time I realised I was not living a Christian lifestyle, but I found it reassuring that I had been forgiven, just in case God were real after all. Eventually as my faith dwindled to nothing I stopped thinking about that.

By the time I did experience a major loss, I found myself totally at peace with the idea of no afterlife. I spent a lot of evenings sitting outside in my garden watching the stars come out of an evening. I named the stars after people who had died, and thought of them looking over me. For about 5 minutes. Then I realised I was looking at burning balls of gas, and that people who had died simply did not exist any more. And I honestly felt totally comfortable with this, and still do.

For a long time after I left the church I still called myself a Christian. I just felt they had made some mistakes and god wasn't quite like they described. They taught that they were the only true christians, so I wasn't a christian by the definitions I'd been taught, but I still thought I was one. But I never looked for another church, and gradually my faith totally left me. I now have no supernatural/spiritual beliefs at all. I think you just have to look at things with an open mind, eventually you will settle into beliefs that you are comfortable with.

It takes time, but you do get there in the end.

Thanks for the responses everyone! Had a LONG weekend, and unfortunately it was not a fun one, what with moving and whatnot.

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in struggling with mortality. But I'm glad to see that others who've had the same questions as me have found some peace. It gives me hope that understanding this life and the struggles we go through are possible to overcome.

That reminds me, one thing that always bothered me about christianity is that it devalues your sense of self, and accomplishment. You're constantly told you can't go it alone, and that the only way through this life is a life through christ. It's ridiculous, and I'll never tell my kids they're not strong enough to make it through their struggles without help. I'm not saying that any of us never need help. In fact, we all do at some points. But that's why we have friends and family. We have each other to lean on. But the point is, that you should never doubt your own strength to overcome obstacles in your life. Sometimes when faced with a seemingly overwhelming problem, I like to say something like "I am human, hear me roar!" I think to myself, all the things humans have struggled through, I know that I can make it through this. I'm not going to rely on an imaginary figure to solve my problems for me. It's up to ME!

I don't know, just my thoughts this morning. I guess after having such a long, hard weekend, it's nice to be on the other side and know that everything's finally finished, for the most part.

Just remember, you're tough! You can make it through any struggles your facing. We humans are the top of the food chain here on earth, and deservedly so. Surprise yourself, you never know how strong and tough you are till you're pushed to the edge.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses everyone! Had a LONG weekend, and unfortunately it was not a fun one, what with moving and whatnot.

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in struggling with mortality. But I'm glad to see that others who've had the same questions as me have found some peace. It gives me hope that understanding this life and the struggles we go through are possible to overcome.

That reminds me, one thing that always bothered me about christianity is that it devalues your sense of self, and accomplishment. You're constantly told you can't go it alone, and that the only way through this life is a life through christ. It's ridiculous, and I'll never tell my kids they're not strong enough to make it through their struggles without help. I'm not saying that any of us never need help. In fact, we all do at some points. But that's why we have friends and family. We have each other to lean on. But the point is, that you should never doubt your own strength to overcome obstacles in your life. Sometimes when faced with a seemingly overwhelming problem, I like to say something like "I am human, hear me roar!" I think to myself, all the things humans have struggled through, I know that I can make it through this. I'm not going to rely on an imaginary figure to solve my problems for me. It's up to ME!

I don't know, just my thoughts this morning. I guess after having such a long, hard weekend, it's nice to be on the other side and know that everything's finally finished, for the most part.

Just remember, you're tough! You can make it through any struggles your facing. We humans are the top of the food chain here on earth, and deservedly so. Surprise yourself, you never know how strong and tough you are till you're pushed to the edge.

boy, you got that right especially the last sentence or two! I dunno if you're familar with that insipid 'Footprints in the Sand' picture. If not, it shows a single set of footprints in the sand - a person is questioning where was this god while he/she was going through whatever hell they were experiencing at that time. A response came back saying the god was carrying the person through the ordeal. It was supposed to show how we always need a magical god to carry us through something since we can't make it on our own.

During my deconversion out of that crap, I tossed out the picture of that which was hanging in our bedroom.

• Like 1

I dunno if you're familar with that insipid 'Footprints in the Sand' picture. If not, it shows a single set of footprints in the sand - a person is questioning where was this god while he/she was going through whatever hell they were experiencing at that time. A response came back saying the god was carrying the person through the ordeal. It was supposed to show how we always need a magical god to carry us through something since we can't make it on our own.

OMG, that damn footprints in the sand thing makes me cringe as much as any piece of Christian glurge I've ever seen.

I always want to say, "Look, do you think I'm such a moron I can't tell the difference between when I'm walking on the beach or being carried down it?" I mean, seriously. Do people actually think they wouldn't notice if somebody (let alone a magical being) suddenly picked them up, swept them off their feet, and went striding along?

Glurge. Hate freaking glurge. Worse, I'm alarmed by people who accept that sort of syrupy shite as a substitute for truth.

Oh. And congratulations on continuing your journey so well, highirishman. I agree with R. that your last lines sum up a great, noble (if sometimes daunting) reality.

I dunno if you're familar with that insipid 'Footprints in the Sand' picture. If not, it shows a single set of footprints in the sand - a person is questioning where was this god while he/she was going through whatever hell they were experiencing at that time. A response came back saying the god was carrying the person through the ordeal. It was supposed to show how we always need a magical god to carry us through something since we can't make it on our own.

OMG, that damn footprints in the sand thing makes me cringe as much as any piece of Christian glurge I've ever seen.

I always want to say, "Look, do you think I'm such a moron I can't tell the difference between when I'm walking on the beach or being carried down it?" I mean, seriously. Do people actually think they wouldn't notice if somebody (let alone a magical being) suddenly picked them up, swept them off their feet, and went striding along?

Glurge. Hate freaking glurge. Worse, I'm alarmed by people who accept that sort of syrupy shite as a substitute for truth.

ROFL. I never took it quite so literally as you've just depicted it. But you do make another great point. The turn off to me was the message behind the footprints, ie: we're so freaking weak and helpless that we need Santa to wipe our arses every time we do anything.

ROFL. I never took it quite so literally as you've just depicted it. But you do make another great point. The turn off to me was the message behind the footprints, ie: we're so freaking weak and helpless that we need Santa to wipe our arses every time we do anything.

Well, that too, actually. I know what you're saying. My reaction to that damnable poster is on both as literal a level as I posted, and a figurative level, too. If someone is suffering, fearing, crying out to god and he's not giving the slightest bit of comfort or relief, it's damned ridiculous (and as insulting as you note) to claim after the fact that he was actually the one bearing the entire burden. Ugh. That whole thing is horrible on SO many levels.

So, per the sig line of a woman I know, I'll close with ... "Teddy bear hugs from god and me."

(Yes, clearly a woman who has never read her old testament.)

Thanks MerryG! It's been quite an experience.

That Footprints In The Sand think is ridiculous. Of course I loved it when I was a xtian, but now I see it's as ridiculous as the rest haha. It makes us seem so weak and helpless, when in fact we should be teaching the opposite! We're all going to go through hard times, but you can't rely on an imaginary person to carry your burdens for you.