Goodbye Jesus

Christians Singing To Themselves

inorbit

This has bugged me since I was still a kid. Christians constantly singing quietly to themselves. Has anyone else noticed this? Not everyone does it, and it's generally women... but they're always Christians. They sing in a really soft voice that's mostly breathy and always out of tune. Sometimes they alternate with humming.

It. Drives. Me. Nuts.

It's not pleasant to listen to, it's inconsistent, it's arrhythmic, it's offkey... They sing in their cubicles, in their rooms, while in the car, while grocery shopping... I DO NOT LIKE IT, SAM I AM!

Conservative or charismatic, it doesn't seem to matter. They just absentmindedly sing/hum some random cheesy Christian garbage. I've asked some friends to please stop around me (politely), and they always look so hurt. Or, they'll pull the spiritual manipulation card. They'll quote from Psalms, or ask what's meant to be a rhetorical question along the lines of, "Don't you want to praise the Lord?" They'll even say I should examine my own heart, that I have demons or sin or something that is causing their "praise" to make me so uncomfortable. That's like saying that chewing your gum with your mouth open is irritating because I'm hungry.

I know, I know. This is really random vent. Maybe none of you have noticed this. Well, it drives me crazy and I needed to get it off my chest. I can hear my roommate humming right now, through the wall... *twitch*

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Try burping in harmony.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

That's one of my pet peeves too. My DFH* does it. He doesn't hum, but he sings offkey and also whistles (not at the same time!). Drives me nuts. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

*DearFundyHubby

I sing to myself but only when I know there is no one else around because I have no illusions that I sound good.

• Super Moderator

Try burping in harmony.

HA! I'd love to do that. If only I could! I've always been a bit envious of people who could burp at will.

• Super Moderator

I sing to myself but only when I know there is no one else around because I have no illusions that I sound good.

That's me.

Or if I'm really really REALLY drunk. And I still know my singing sounds like crap -- I just don't care. LOL

Sing or hum back a secular song. Feel free to choose the song based on how annoying they are -the more annoying they are the more offensive it could be.

Guest Babylonian Dream

Its crazymaking! I had a friend who would do it. Then again, there was a buddhist girl who did it, and she actually did sound good when she did it, so it doesn't always annoy me.

Happy people sing Wendyshrug.gif

But in public? That's annoying.

I don't mind the singing as much as I am jarred by the whispering under the breath "Jesus" or "thank you God" constantly. My SIL does this. She will catch herself mid-sentence saying something that might not, for example, exalt her husband to near-god status, for which she feels immediate overwhelming guilt and she cuts herself off to whisper a prayer under her breath. Wendytwitch.gif

I do that sometimes..., but I reproduce the melody faithfully..., and I keep the beat... I never noticed anyone looking annoyed...

At least I don't sing cheesy praise songs, right? Wendyshrug.gif

I do that sometimes..., but I reproduce the melody faithfully..., and I keep the beat... I never noticed anyone looking annoyed...

I sing to myself as well. At least, I am able to hold a note. I might hum some Dancehall raggae, old French ballads, and pop music. Depending on my mood, I might hum some Zouk (caribbean), or some Kompa (Haitian music). I don't think people get annoyed by my humming either. I have seen some folks break out dancing without any music...no wait, I have seen a few drunk people break out dancing before losing their balance.

• Super Moderator

I don't mind the singing as much as I am jarred by the whispering under the breath "Jesus" or "thank you God" constantly. Wendytwitch.gif

Yeah, that's even worse than singing....... and around here in the buybull belt, an every day event -- multiple times! WendyDoh.gif

Fight fire with fire. Sing Lennon's "Imagine" at them. They HATE that song!

Or if you really wanna turn up the heat, sing "Sodomy" from the musical Hair.

Theoretically, people who sing are happy. Why are they happy? They have the love of Jesus in their heart, of course!

I stayed with a host family on a choir trip once. I was sleeping on their couch when the wife got up at 4:45am to make waffles, all the while humming her favourite hymn.

The combo of her humming and it being the butt-crack of dawn was just too much. Had she not brewed coffee, I may have done something drastic.

• Like 2

Fight fire with fire. Sing Lennon's "Imagine" at them. They HATE that song!

Or if you really wanna turn up the heat, sing "Sodomy" from the musical Hair.

Better yet, sing Lennon's "God" 58.gif

People singing in general out loud is really anoying, i want to tell them to stop but then they throw a hissy fit.

People singing in general out loud is really anoying, i want to tell them to stop but then they throw a hissy fit.

And this is such an ironic reaction if it's true that happy people sing...

• Like 1

LOL, yeah, that's typical indeed. My father's wife does it all the time. And I agree, it's not pleasant. And it's not even because she's out of tune or anything. Just that it seems kind untactful of them, just another way to push their beliefs onto others. I mean you sit there, talk to them and she bursts out in a Christian song. WTF? It's like they think everyone around them would or at least SHOULD enjoy Christian songs. And yeah, if you'd ask them to stop, they'd say you have demons and that's why you get irritated by it.

On the other hand, I agree with Kaiser: people singing in general out loud is annoying, period. Regardless if it's a Christian song or not. To me it's like these people think they have a good voice that everyone around them would or should enjoy. Hell, NO! They are attention seekers IMO.

Caught myself doing the humming/singing thing today. Not a Christer song, obvies, I think it was "Moonlight Densetsu".

I annoyed myself with it.

Guest Babylonian Dream

I don't sing. When I do, I know I break mirrors and windows and peoples eardrums. So I just don't. Common curteousy.

You guys should try being less like Jeff Winger. Next time try singing along! Unless its a praise song... then there's just nothing to do but leave. : /

In the 7th timeline, Jeff goes to get the pizza and isn't there to mock Britta when she starts singing along to Roxanne. xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03vnLEMy3os

I hate those cheesy praise songs. If I'm riding with Mom, I often get to listen to Selah. They pretty much all go like this:

"Oh lord, I worship you....oh lord, your greatness

astounds me.... oh lord, I will glorify your name...." She knows I hate that and insists on assaulting me with it anyway. It's like me playing "Candyman" (Christina Aguilera) on Sunday.

Hmm... I've never really experienced this personally. Is it a regional thing?

as long as its not how great is our god...