Goodbye Jesus

Spelling

Guest r3alchild

Guest r3alchild

One thing out of the many things that hurt me about christians was being corrected if my spelling was wrong. This would happen alot in christian chat rooms and some times in christian forums. It was not just spelling that they would correct but not using caps for god or jesus or anything else they thought was godly. But it didnt end there no, they would also correct me if my grammar was not up to there level of perfection and if I would quote a scripture that was not word for word I would get slamed.

But when I came to ex c I was never corrected on such trivial matters in fact I have been here over a month and no one has corrected me in any of those ways. When I first joined ex c I decided that in all my posts I will never use a cap for god or jesus or any other god word unless it is the word at the start of a sentence or because I just choose it on rare occasions.

No one has found fault with me doing that and that is one little thing, but not so little, that helps me to see the true lack of love jesus never enables his followers to have.

Every little mistake fades away in the face of the world's biggest mistake ever:  christianity.

• Like 4

It is nice to be part of a community that is pretty non-judgmental overall.

• Like 1

I intentionally dont capitalize god, chrisitan or jesus unless the word prediction does it for me. i deal with the red squigglies under the words since my phone and computer are enabling such a stupid worldview.

Guest r3alchild

I intentionally dont capitalize god, chrisitan or jesus unless the word prediction does it for me. i deal with the red squigglies under the words since my phone and computer are enabling such a stupid worldview.

I dont capitalize any god words for the same reason. Also because it pisses some christians off to no end. I remember talking to this christian girl online once, who told me to use G when I typed god and when I asked her why, she said "because it shows that you respect him"

I dont capitalize any god words for the same reason. Also because it pisses some christians off to no end. I remember talking to this christian girl online once, who told me to use G when I typed god and when I asked her why, she said "because it shows that you respect him"

I only use a capital G, usually, when really taking a sarcastic jab in something I am saying. Then I use Gawd.  Pisses them off to no end, and I revel in it.

• Like 1

It's b/c you can't win with xtians. Nothing will ever be good enough for them. Even if you try to live up to their standards, they'll still find a way to bitch about it.

There is something to be said for writing coherently, and I have no patience for people who write incomprehensible diatribes in all caps or netspeak. However, the nit-picky "Don't you mean God!?" bs is more of a smugness power-trip. I got lambasted for writing "Xtianity": "Oh. Taking the CHRIST out of Christianity??" And the fixation on an obvious typo or something is sure a lot easier than answering the actual questions about problems with your religion, isn't it?

• Like 1

Hi Chrisstavrous: My opinion of their "nit picking" is this...they don't want to accept our view or "non-belief" as being valid. If they nit pic on our spelling or grammar, they are "one upping" themselves and "dumbing us down" so they can "look down upon us" for no longer being christians.

I know so many, so many christians who have atrocious spelling and grammar and it is usually always in their "preaching". If I "correct them", it will be seen that I am showing myself as better than them and they feel persecuted and "righteously" so. If I ignore it, I just laugh  LOL, shake my head at their idiocy and move on.

Anything that we say and do IS a big issue for them...they should do what they preach and check the LOG in their eye before trying to put out the little twig in other's eyes. 

Dude, you shouldn't have drawn attention to it.  I'm a huge spelling and grammar freak.  :)  The things I can't stand are misuse of apostrophes and mixing up "you're" and "your"; or "there", "their" and "they're".

But yeah I wouldn't start pointing it out, that's just being a dick about it.

Christians on forums don't tend to be the best examples of Christians, let alone internet people, let alone human beings.  So don't give a shit about what they say.

• Like 1

Taking the CHRIST out of Christianity??

Yeah, that's supposed to be their job!

• Like 2

Taking the CHRIST out of Christianity??

Yeah, that's supposed to be their job!

FTW! 

• Like 1

the only time I might ever call someone out on their spelling/grammar online is if the resulting sentence is unintelligible. Otherwise, I'm not grading a paper, it's just not worth commenting on.

• Like 1

One thing out of the many things that hurt me about christians was being corrected if my spelling was wrong. This would happen alot in christian chat rooms and some times in christian forums. It was not just spelling that they would correct but not using caps for god or jesus or anything else they thought was godly. But it didnt end there no, they would also correct me if my grammar was not up to there level of perfection and if I would quote a scripture that was not word for word I would get slamed.

But when I came to ex c I was never corrected on such trivial matters in fact I have been here over a month and no one has corrected me in any of those ways. When I first joined ex c I decided that in all my posts I will never use a cap for god or jesus or any other god word unless it is the word at the start of a sentence or because I just choose it on rare occasions.

No one has found fault with me doing that and that is one little thing, but not so little, that helps me to see the true lack of love jesus never enables his followers to have.

What sorta irritates me is the sentence "He is Risen!" It just sounds like bad grammar. "He has Risen" would be more appropriate. And I'm not considering capitals on words either. Is Jesus a verb or a noun? If Jesus' claim to fame were fly-fishing his way to heaven then Xians would say "He is Fished!" every Easter instead of "He has Fished!" I just don't get it.

What is particularly funny though is in Guildwars 2 there are zombie minions called "Risen" so someone in the development department has a sense of humor. :-)

Christians on forums don't tend to be the best examples of Christians, let alone internet people, let alone human beings.  So don't give a shit about what they say.

It figures. Xtians can be so damn petty that way. Anyways, i can definitely vouch for this. I used to post on an xtian forum toward the end of my stint in xtianity, and that place was a veritable cesspool of humanity. I've come across some truly vile individuals in the few months i was there, some to a lesser extent. From what i remember, the grammar nitpicking was really commonplace. As upsetting as it is, remember they resorted to personal attacks since they knew whatever they were arguing was nonsense. Their behavior speaks volumes about them, they know it, and it pisses them off.

I notice the spelling errors and stuff because I must do it in my job - but here as long as I understand what is being said I never comment or question it. For one thing, we are from all over the world and some here have English as a second language. Also, its quite petty to pick on trivial things like this. Who cares? We are all ex-c's!

I didn't know Xtians could write. Well, ok, some can.

I had a tendency to notice errors in writing, but the trouble was that I'd find as many in my own writing

as in others. So, I stopped looking.

But very smart people have known to be unable to read or write. Think of them. Joseph Smith, the

founder of Mormonism was one and look what he accomplished. And mohammed! What a mind. And we don't know if Jesus could write, but he apparently could read. So there. bill

• Like 1

What sorta irritates me is the sentence "He is Risen!" It just sounds like bad grammar. "He has Risen" would be more appropriate. And I'm not considering capitals on words either. Is Jesus a verb or a noun? If Jesus' claim to fame were fly-fishing his way to heaven then Xians would say "He is Fished!" every Easter instead of "He has Fished!" I just don't get it.

What is particularly funny though is in Guildwars 2 there are zombie minions called "Risen" so someone in the development department has a sense of humor. :-)

Is this not supposed to emphasise the fact that he has risen, and remains alive?

Guest Babylonian Dream

Unless I'm having trouble understanding what they're telling me, I really don't give a two flying hoots as to how they type and speak. As far as capitalizing gOd, hebrew does it all in lowercase, they have no upper case letters. Does that mean they disrespect their own god?

To be honest though, I prefer neat writing, but I don't really care.

That's just the thing about Christians, they're all overconcerned with what you're doing wrong. Nevermind focusing on their life and how to improve it, they're perfect. I've said it before, religion brings out the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder in otherwise normal people.

That's because most people who actually take the time to point out spelling and grammatical errors on a casual internet forum or comments section are dicks. 

Yes, I notice almost every spelling or grammar mistake that people make (including myself), but so what?  If it isn't an essay or a publication, what's the harm?  If I was in a parental or mentor role over somebody, then yes, it's totally necessary to point it out.  But random stranger on the internet?  It doesn't hurt me if they spell incorrectly.  I'm not your parent smile.png.  And me acting like one..would just be a dick move.  I HATE seeing people correct other people's spelling and grammar on an open/casual forum.  That's some real uptightedness right there. 

Not to mention, I'm probably very guilty of grammatical, punctuation, and sentence structure errors myself, as I moved through alot of schools as a kid and I'm pretty sure I somehow skipped alot of those writing fundamentals.  I don't know the technicalities whatsoever! 

Edit: fixed some typos ;)

• Like 1

Guest Babylonian Dream

I am so perfect that from here on out I'm going to correct every last one of all of your mistakes!

I'm a bit of a spelling nazi, but I wouldn't point it out to anyone. I get the idea of what they are trying to say. Doing that is just being a dick.

• Like 1

I only point them out when people end up creating phrases that end up being hilarious.

Let's eat, Grandma!

Let's eat Grandma!

Guest Babylonian Dream

I only point them out when people end up creating phrases that end up being hilarious.

Let's eat, Grandma!

Let's eat Grandma!

Unless you're a spider, I'm sure people will know what you meant..... XD

Dude, you shouldn't have drawn attention to it.  I'm a huge spelling and grammar freak.  smile.png  The things I can't stand are misuse of apostrophes and mixing up "you're" and "your"; or "there", "their" and "they're".

But yeah I wouldn't start pointing it out, that's just being a dick about it.

To be fair, most internet communities are not the best example of what humanity has to offer. In fact, most internet debates I've seen go like this: http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-06-03/

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2006-10-27/ (see the next day's for the punchline)

The comments I see in some places actually make me feel stupider, stupidity and douchebaggery is far from just being related to Christianity.

Anyways, I'm not concerned about typos either unless I either can't understand what is being said or if the typo is something amusing. I make plenty of them

'snip

You play guild wars 2 as well? Awesome. yellow.gif