Goodbye Jesus

Spelling

Guest r3alchild

Dude, you shouldn't have drawn attention to it.  I'm a huge spelling and grammar freak.  smile.png  The things I can't stand are misuse of apostrophes and mixing up "you're" and "your"; or "there", "their" and "they're".

But yeah I wouldn't start pointing it out, that's just being a dick about it.

Christians on forums don't tend to be the best examples of Christians, let alone internet people, let alone human beings.  So don't give a shit about what they say.

To be fair, most internet communities are not the best example of what humanity has to offer. In fact, most internet debates I've seen go like this: http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-06-03/

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2006-10-27/ (see the next day's for the punchline)

The comments I see in some places actually make me feel stupider, stupidity and douchebaggery is far from just being related to Christianity.

Anyways, I'm not concerned about typos either unless I either can't understand what is being said or if the typo is something amusing. I make plenty of them

'snip

What sorta irritates me is the sentence "He is Risen!" It just sounds like bad grammar. "He has Risen" would be more appropriate. And I'm not considering capitals on words either. Is Jesus a verb or a noun? If Jesus' claim to fame were fly-fishing his way to heaven then Xians would say "He is Fished!" every Easter instead of "He has Fished!" I just don't get it.

What is particularly funny though is in Guildwars 2 there are zombie minions called "Risen" so someone in the development department has a sense of humor. :-)

You play guild wars 2 as well? Awesome. yellow.gif

Yes, mostly WvW. :-)

I am so perfect, that from here on out I'm going to correct every last one of all of your mistakes!

FIFY

Guest Babylonian Dream

I am so perfect, that from here on out I'm going to correct every last one of all of your mistakes!

FIFY

Didn't you hear me? Do you know who I am? I'm perfect! Don't correct what you think are my mistakes! XD

One thing out of the many things that hurt me about christians was being corrected if my spelling was wrong. This would happen alot in christian chat rooms and some times in christian forums. It was not just spelling that they would correct but not using caps for god or jesus or anything else they thought was godly. But it didnt end there no, they would also correct me if my grammar was not up to there level of perfection and if I would quote a scripture that was not word for word I would get slamed.

But when I came to ex c I was never corrected on such trivial matters in fact I have been here over a month and no one has corrected me in any of those ways. When I first joined ex c I decided that in all my posts I will never use a cap for god or jesus or any other god word unless it is the word at the start of a sentence or because I just choose it on rare occasions.

No one has found fault with me doing that and that is one little thing, but not so little, that helps me to see the true lack of love jesus never enables his followers to have.

What sorta irritates me is the sentence "He is Risen!" It just sounds like bad grammar. "He has Risen" would be more appropriate. And I'm not considering capitals on words either. Is Jesus a verb or a noun? If Jesus' claim to fame were fly-fishing his way to heaven then Xians would say "He is Fished!" every Easter instead of "He has Fished!" I just don't get it.

You do realize back when the earliest translations of the Bible into English were being carried out, English grammar actually permitted - and sometimes called for - the perfect tense being marked by 'is' instead of 'has'.

(However, 'he is fished' wouldn't pass in the English of that era, since 'to fish' is not in the class of verbs that call for 'is'.)

Dude, you shouldn't have drawn attention to it.  I'm a huge spelling and grammar freak.  smile.png  The things I can't stand are misuse of apostrophes and mixing up "you're" and "your"; or "there", "their" and "they're".

Christians on forums don't tend to be the best examples of Christians, let alone internet people, let alone human beings.  So don't give a shit about what they say.

To be fair, most internet communities are not the best example of what humanity has to offer. In fact, most internet debates I've seen go like this: http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-06-03/

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2006-10-27/ (see the next day's for the punchline)

The comments I see in some places actually make me feel stupider, stupidity and douchebaggery is far from just being related to Christianity.

Anyways, I'm not concerned about typos either unless I either can't understand what is being said or if the typo is something amusing. I make plenty of them

'snip

What is particularly funny though is in Guildwars 2 there are zombie minions called "Risen" so someone in the development department has a sense of humor. :-)

Actually I think it is more like this. 

duty_calls.png

I've seen the opposite side of this coin: atheists on several internet forums making fun of Christians whose spelling, punctuation and grammar are not up to par. It's a common trait among humans, really: find a flaw in someone, point it out in the most obnoxious and insulting manner possible, imagine this somehow demonstrates your own superiority.

(It gets really funny when the person pointing out the flaw has the very same flaw. That's usually when I like jumping in and pointing flaws out.)

One thing out of the many things that hurt me about christians was being corrected if my spelling was wrong. This would happen alot in christian chat rooms and some times in christian forums. It was not just spelling that they would correct but not using caps for god or jesus or anything else they thought was godly. But it didnt end there no, they would also correct me if my grammar was not up to there level of perfection and if I would quote a scripture that was not word for word I would get slamed.

But when I came to ex c I was never corrected on such trivial matters in fact I have been here over a month and no one has corrected me in any of those ways. When I first joined ex c I decided that in all my posts I will never use a cap for god or jesus or any other god word unless it is the word at the start of a sentence or because I just choose it on rare occasions.

No one has found fault with me doing that and that is one little thing, but not so little, that helps me to see the true lack of love jesus never enables his followers to have.

You do realize back when the earliest translations of the Bible into English were being carried out, English grammar actually permitted - and sometimes called for - the perfect tense being marked by 'is' instead of 'has'.

(However, 'he is fished' wouldn't pass in the English of that era, since 'to fish' is not in the class of verbs that call for 'is'.)

Language is fascinating. I bet trying to communicate with someone from the KJV times would be like speaking in a foreign language. :-)

>> 

'snip

Actually I think it is more like this. 

duty_calls.png

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2012/01/st_essay_autocorrect/

Language is fascinating. I bet trying to communicate with someone from the KJV times would be like speaking in a foreign language. :-)

Hilariously, the language of the KJV was sort of old-timey and defunct use of the English language (and, sometimes, technically incorrect), even at the time...

That's what I love most about English: even when you're a native speaker, it still makes little sense. Thou and thee used to be for informal second person (if you took Spanish, it was the English version of tu). Eventually, we dropped it in favour of the formal you. At least you can

. Yay,