Goodbye Jesus

Somebody "Up" There Must Be Looking Out For You

Guest SerenityNow

Guest SerenityNow

Say two DEVOTED "true" Christians are riding a bike and are hit by a MAC Truck, one is mangled for life and the other is without but a few scratches. The families both go to the same church and have the same circle of friends. At church people are saddened for the person who is crippled for life and they sympathize with their family and such, but for the other person they "Somebody (God) up there must really be looking out for you?"

Is it just me or does like make zero sense? Was god not looking out for the other person? Or could he only save one at a time? Of course the most likely excuse will be that "God works in mysterious ways and no one knows why he allows one pain and another not. Perhaps he allowed so and so to take the brunt because they will deal with it better and still remain faithful."

I think of all the stupid things people say, "Somebody up there must be looking out for you" takes the cake and gets in my top ten list of stupid and thoughtless remarks.

My current final straw 'if-you-say-that-i-may-have to kill-you' phrase is along similar lines - its the 'all things work for good for those who love God' one.

Now I still try to look see if there is any wisdom intended with bible verses, and I guess I can see something in the way we respond to tradegy - in that humans sometimes have this amazing ability to do incredibly wonderful things in the face of awful adversity.

But the idea that some sort of Fathergod deliberately allows terrible things to happen in order to teach us something valuable is just so warped and sick.

I knew this christian once who used to say 'god sure loves you' - in response to things going really badly wrong in your life. Her rationale was something to do with 'God chastises those he loves'

Boy was she a welcome sight on your doorstep when somebody died and you lost your job, dented your car and the kids came down with food poisoning just as the washing machine packed up.

Having been in a major accident with a Mack truck when I was 17, I can totally feel what you're saying.

You wouldn't believe the number of times that I've heard, "Somebody up there must be looking out for you," "You sure are blessed," "It just wasn't your time to go," and "God must have great plans for you."

Each and every one of those, each and every time I hear them makes me want to puke. Or at the very least explain the statistical probabilities of survival without major injury and to point out that just because something is on the small percentage end of the scale of probability does not make it impossible without divine intervention. Otherwise, the event in question wouldn't be on the scale of probability at all. Or, barring understanding and feeling sick just to smack the shit out of them.

So there's ....

'well we can pray about that can't we' and 'let's place it all in God's hands'

That really bugs me at the moment because nine times out of ten that means 'lets not actually do anything - let's not leave our nice little comfort zones - let's just pretend we care and lets hope God sends someone else to solve the problem or does a bit of hocus pocus zapping'

(every now and then it means something - I know people who act on their prayers. I do not have a problem with those kind of christians)

Some days - when I was a christian I used the above kind of praying as a sanctimonious get out clause. I'm ashamed that I ever did that. Sometimes I recognised a need and did something about it. I'm proud of this (although I still find it hard to say)

Is it just me or does like make zero sense? Was god not looking out for the other person? Or could he only save one at a time? Of course the most likely excuse will be that "God works in mysterious ways and no one knows why he allows one pain and another not. Perhaps he allowed so and so to take the brunt because they will deal with it better and still remain faithful."

You know, I got that so much after the fire. Why was he not looking out for my housemate? Why couldn't he have inspired my housemate to seek medical help, or at least TELL someone what he was feeling before he killed himself? Or is god bigoted towards people with mental illnesses like many Christians seem to be? Because you know, suicide is "the unforgiveable sin." Well, how the bloody hell can being sick and having your brain chemistry malfunction be a goddamn sin?

Wouldn't it be awfully selfish of me to actually BUY that? Why the bloody hell should I be so special, and not my housemate? Why are Christians so prejudiced when people commit suicide?

Okay, I know not all Christians believe this. But it seems to me that if you're going to cherry pick, then be consistent! Apparently homosexuality is the unforgivable sin nowadays, well that's genetic too.

Stupid moronic fundies.

:vent:

Okay, rant's over.

How about this one"

"God allowed [death of a loved one, divorce, crippling disease, etc.] to happen to me so that I could minister to others who have experienced a similar tragedy."

Hello! Why is God putting others through these tragedies then?

Then there's the classic Catholic response, "offer it up" and be grateful that Jesus has deemed you worthy to share in His suffereing :rolleyes:

Say two DEVOTED "true" Christians are riding a bike and are hit by a MAC Truck, one is mangled for life and the other is without but a few scratches. The families both go to the same church and have the same circle of friends. At church people are saddened for the person who is crippled for life and they sympathize with their family and such, but for the other person they "Somebody (God) up there must really be looking out for you?"

Doncha know? God has a higher purpose in life for the mangled dude.

Just like Joni Eareckson Tada. Broke her neck in a diving accident and was a quad at 16. She's so brainwashed, thirty years later she still thanks God for it.

And, when someone dies prematurely, and no "higher purpose" can be found within the world of human rationalization, then we get to "God's ways are not our ways"

Christians' way of saying "shit happens".

And, when someone dies prematurely, and no "higher purpose" can be found within the world of human rationalization, then we get to "God's ways are not our ways"

Or the much overused "Well, god has a plan" line. If he has such a plan, you'd think he could've put it in the bible as an appendix or something.

a few years ago I was in a major car accident the day before Thanksgiving.

My car was destroyed, both knees were pulverized, I've had multiple surgeries and still have pain every day.

And the one thing I was GUARANTEED to hear from my believing family/friends was:

"I guess you've got a lot to be thankful for this thanksgiving!"

yeah, yeah...I know...I lived....but it felt really lame when people said that, considering what I went thru. Oh well....

a few other phrases that grate on my nerves:

"God doesn't believe in atheists!" - delievered with a knowing/smug look, like they've said something profound.

"The Lord knows where you're at." - a typical response to friends/families that ask about my unbelief, but don't want to actually think about what I'm saying.

I want to add all christian BUMPER STICKERS.

I read somewhere that the hypocrisy of the occupants rises in exact correlation to the number of bumper stickers and is multiplied by however irritating and silly the rhymes are.

I'm not going to contribute any quotes - I'm already in way to much of a pissy mood.

....Just like Joni Eareckson Tada. Broke her neck in a diving accident and was a quad at 16. She's so brainwashed, thirty years later she still thanks God for it.....

She came to our christian high school in the late 70s. Good example for this thread!

I remember when a family friend (who was a christian but partying all the time) was killed in a car accident his mother said, "Well, the lord took him because of the way he was living his life"...all that boozin and pot smoking must have got the GoodLord annoyed, so he killed him. What hogwash.

It still makes my blood boil. Totally ignoring the fact that he was speeding downhill in his muscle car, lost control and ended up spinning out and getting hit. Oh noooooooooo, it was God all the time. :Hmm:

In 1998, my 17 yr. old cousin was killed in an auto accident. From that, I think I heard my two least favorite things people say to try to "console".

The first was in chit chat at the visitation and funeral. "God must have needed her in heaven." Uh, no. I'd like to think that if god even gives two cents one way or another (and at that time, I was sure he did - heavily into my faith walk then), that when a young, promising, beautiful young woman was mindlessly snuffed out, maybe...just maybe...he even wept. He doesn't snatch up teenagers for his own purposes. Who would worship a god like that!???

The other was said to the parents - and this one just...I'm steaming even getting ready to type it. "Well, at least you still have Amy." (the surviving sib) Mindless, thoughtless and really - just fucking cruel.

The other was said to the parents - and this one just...I'm steaming even getting ready to type it. "Well, at least you still have Amy." (the surviving sib) Mindless, thoughtless and really - just fucking cruel.

Isn't it just freakin assinine? Thumpers have to have an answer for everything. Even when the answer is the stupidest thing imaginable. It would be so much better, so much more human, to just say - "I don't know why things like this happen". "I'm so sorry".

It would be so much better, so much more human, to just say - "I don't know why things like this happen". "I'm so sorry".

This is exactly what my family was saying - even my pastor was appalled when he heard this. I think some of it just comes from a strange desire to have something to say...when in reality, there are no words.

And silent support is so wonderful. The human race in general, not just fundies (although, I agree, they seem to be the worst) needs to appreciate and embrace it more.

Here is some awful excuses for god Christians give:

Along time ago a three year old baby was in front of a school bus the driver didn’t see her and ran over her. When I hear Christian’s talk about it they’d say it must have been her time to go.

What fucking bullshit! Why would a three year old be supposed to leave so early.

Damn a little toddlers time is supposed to be that short.

Also the reasons iv heard Christians give for letting terrorists bomb the world trade center is so people will wake up and repent.

Christians in my town are morbidly insane

My favorite asinine thing said by a Xian was reported to me by my rabidly atheist grandmother.

Years ago she was speaking with the Episcopalian minister from the church in her town, about a youngish gal who'd had kind of a rough experience with drugs & alcohol, who was in the midst of cleaning herself up when she was killed in (I think) a car accident. My grandma reportedly commented on how unfortunate and sad it was that someone so young should go, and how unfortunate it was for her family.

The minister promptly replied with "Well, she wasn't a very worthwhile person, after all."

Boys and girls, can you say: :asshole2:

I think if my grandmother wasn't the extremely well-mannered individual that she is, she would've punched him out.

Even with all the stupid platitudes Xians tend to offer when something tragic happens, some comment like that is just appalling. I mean most of the time when I've heard something like "It was God's will" or whatever, at least the person means well. But this guy - man. Pissed my grandma off no end. You just don't say demeaning shit like that about people.

But, well, ya gotta dig that groovy Xian love and compassion! :Wendywhatever:

But, well, ya gotta dig that groovy Xian love and compassion!

Especially the two-facedness of their responses. All nicey nice to your face, but watch your back.

Lessee, the "give it up to the Lord" crap, I guess fundies have a nice escape clause for getting out of that personal responsibility thing. Also the "first thing to do is pray." thing. What the flying fuck is that going to do for you?

I don't mind the "it was time" thing, though. Sometimes it just is someone's time to die, best I can rationalize it, especially after a long bout with some disorder or disease wth fourteen syllables in its name...

Went to a wedding for a friend who was about to have her first child in three days (well, she was having contractions on the altar), and while there the pastor lets the "this is a union between three people (name omitted), (name omitted) and God."

Yeah, right.

Dear All,

Noted your comments, thanks.

I think, no matter what we say to console, during someone else's tragedy, it will never ever come out right or be interpreted as intended. The cliche "I'm sorry" for instance ~ why should I be sorry? More so if you are a pastor, especially if you are an unbeliever. And if you are, sure tests your faith, huh?

I will strive to be more careful and remember your valid comments.

I'm sorry for your loss seems to be a pretty acceptable thing to me, honest, generally sincere and bullshit free. Sorry to hear bad news as it means someone had to go through it, makes sense to me.

Say two DEVOTED "true" Christians are riding a bike and are hit by a MAC Truck, one is mangled for life and the other is without but a few scratches.

Just curious. IF you were God, what would you do?

Taking into account one needs a lesson in "whatever" and the other needs to learn "whatever" and this will help XX number of people... and so forth.

Taking into account that you know one of them (if you save him) will eventually cause the death of X number of people... and so forth.

And any number of permutations which may or may not affect X number of lives... and so forth.

Not easy to be God i think.

The remarks of people... well, depending on the receiver, believer or un-believer, we can only hope to be compassionate ~ even silence can be misconstrued as un-caring, so...

Not easy to be Human either.

*sigh*

I'm going through a lot of bad shit in my life right now (take a look at my early posts if you want even the slightest idea) and it looks like it's only going to get worse real soon. The best answer anyone can give me when I go crying on their shoulders is "I really don't know what to say." I know they don't. I just like the support of their being there for me. They listen while I prattle on and I feel better. When I sense they're tired of me I switch off and listen to their stories. Some bullshit about "god" this or some such sucks. "God" hasn't done shit for me. My friends and family all have and by admission they don't have any answers (whereas "god" has them all from what I've heard).

mwc

P.S. Oh, and Pug. I couldn't give two shits about how hard it is to be "god." If he didn't want the fucking job then he shouldn't have created shit. He did. Too late. He's got the job and he sucks huge cock at doing it so "god" can shove himself up his tight perfect asshole!

pug, that's just crap.

It's a load of crap.

Someone who genuinely gives a rat's ass about other people? Says to someone who lost a friend or loved one, "I'm so sorry for your loss. Please tell me if there's anything I can do for you."

Someone who is only interested in proselytizing says, "Well, it was God's Plan." God's plan for a seven year old to die from injuries sustained when a drunk driver hit his parents' car? What kind of a fucked up god is that? And what kind of a fucked up PLAN is that?! You must be kidding if you think that's going to help.

If I were God what would I do with two people hit by a Mack truck? How the hell would I know, when did I purpote to be God? And what kind of a stupid question is that?

And no, it's NOT easy to be human. You have to deal with the complexities of other members of the human race, whether you want to or not. Acting like you have The One And Only Truth just because of some mythical religious belief you spout off doesn't aid in dealing with the complexities of other humans.

In other words, if you can't say something besides the inane, "It was God's plan," or, "I guess God needed another angel," or, "Somebody up there must be looking out for you," do us all a favor, and have a nice tall glass of shut the fuck up. My Christian husband doesn't say stupid shit like that, and he's a True Believer as much as I am an agnostic Deist. But then, my husband is a good person who genuinely gives a shit about his fellow man, unlike most fundamentalist nutjobs I have met. They only care about other people if they're fundies too, otherwise, forget 'em, they're not One Of Us, therefore, they're worthless.

I'm going through a lot of bad shit in my life right now (take a look at my early posts if you want even the slightest idea) and it looks like it's only going to get worse real soon. The best answer anyone can give me when I go crying on their shoulders is "I really don't know what to say." I know they don't. I just like the support of their being there for me. They listen while I prattle on and I feel better. When I sense they're tired of me I switch off and listen to their stories. Some bullshit about "god" this or some such sucks. "God" hasn't done shit for me. My friends and family all have and by admission they don't have any answers (whereas "god" has them all from what I've heard).

mwc

P.S. Oh, and Pug. I couldn't give two shits about how hard it is to be "god." If he didn't want the fucking job then he shouldn't have created shit. He did. Too late. He's got the job and he sucks huge cock at doing it so "god" can shove himself up his tight perfect asshole!

(quick hijack of thread)

mwc, lots of hugs to you. I know what it's like to be in a place where you get nothing but shit handed to you.

I certainly hope things get better for you soon. If not, please come and rant here, you'll get plenty of hugs, good vibes, good wishes, and shoulders to cry on.

Isn't it just freakin assinine? Thumpers have to have an answer for everything. Even when the answer is the stupidest thing imaginable. It would be so much better, so much more human, to just say - "I don't know why things like this happen". "I'm so sorry".

Exactly. A fundy friend of ours lost a baby like a week before it was due.

I went to the funeral and was very careful of what I said to the parents. I think it was something simple like telling them I'm sorry for their loss and a big hug.

My s.o. tells me the mother got the usual heartless crap like god let this happen to you because you could handle it and what not.

Assholes.

In 1998, my 17 yr. old cousin was killed in an auto accident. From that, I think I heard my two least favorite things people say to try to "console".

The first was in chit chat at the visitation and funeral. "God must have needed her in heaven."

I just related a similar incident in this thread (which I've now requested to be merged into this one)

A Needy God