Goodbye Jesus

Somebody "Up" There Must Be Looking Out For You

Guest SerenityNow

Just curious. IF you were God, what would you do?

Taking into account one needs a lesson in "whatever" and the other needs to learn "whatever" and this will help XX number of people... and so forth.

Taking into account that you know one of them (if you save him) will eventually cause the death of X number of people... and so forth.

And any number of permutations which may or may not affect X number of lives... and so forth.

Not easy to be God i think.

This scenario that you have presented actually highlights the improbability of the existence of God.

Supposedly he is observing all 6+Billion humans plus all the bajillion animals every second of every day. He monitors their interactions an a per-second basis. If any human is hurt or killed we must therefore presume that God *could* have stopped it but did not for reasons such as you have suggested. This leaves us with quite a dilemma as it means that God 'allows' the following scenarios to happen in order to 'teach' something to us:

- Rape

- Torture

- Disfigurement

- Severe burns

- etc.

My Dad is a lifelong pastor, but I'm sure even HE would hesitate to console a rape victim by telling her that the reason a man raped and beat the shit out of her was that God wanted her to learn how to forgive......

To have a God that could come up with ANY 'lesson' or reason to allow a violent crime such as rape is to have a God that is unworthy of worship or allegiance.

Taking into account one needs a lesson in "whatever" and the other needs to learn "whatever" and this will help XX number of people... and so forth.

Not easy to be Human either.

*sigh*

Yes, I suppose it's MUCH easier being a fucking retarded, lobotomized sheep of "Christ".

Seriously, pug. WTF is wrong with you? "One needs a lesson"? WTF?!?! A LESSON?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!? (I'm choking on my own rage!!!!! FUCK!)

I'm a father. "God" is supposed to be "The Father". Now, as a FATHER, I think that I can come up with any NUMBER of less tragic ways to teach my children a "lesson". And strangely enough, NONE of MY ideas involve blood, broken bones, fire, torment or loss of life. Are you seriously telling me that your all-powerful "God" can't do what I can? Gimme a break.

Why do you fucking religious idiots always go on and on about we lowly humans needing to be taught "lessons" through suffering? And why can't you see how fucking insane that makes you sound? Who the fuck told you that we NEED to be taught a "lesson"? What the hell is life? Some big school, where your "God" gets to put us through our paces? And for what? To "teach" us something?

Get fucked, dude. Or better yet, come by my house so that I may teach YOU some lessons about being a stupid fucktard! Let's find out what "lessons" your "God" would have you learn by having me torture you for twenty fucking years. Sound good?

Fuck! Pug, do us and yourself a favor...don't post anymore, unless you discover what it means to be "human". Because you obviously don't get it.

(Damn! I HATE reading stupid Christian posts!!!!!!! :vtffani: )

Dear All,

Noted your comments, thanks.

I think, no matter what we say to console, during someone else's tragedy, it will never ever come out right or be interpreted as intended. The cliche "I'm sorry" for instance ~ why should I be sorry? More so if you are a pastor, especially if you are an unbeliever. And if you are, sure tests your faith, huh? ....

"Why should you be sorry"?

Maybe because it's the human thing to feel when someone endures a tragedy, that's why.

Geesh... :twitch:

Dear All,

I think, no matter what we say to console, during someone else's tragedy, it will never ever come out right or be interpreted as intended. The cliche "I'm sorry" for instance ~ why should I be sorry? More so if you are a pastor, especially if you are an unbeliever. And if you are, sure tests your faith, huh? ....

"Why should you be sorry"?

Maybe because it's the human thing to feel when someone endures a tragedy, that's why.

Geesh... :twitch:

I must be blind and not finding where this was originally posted, however...I can still comment on it.

You say "I'm sorry" b/c you're sorry it happened. You are extending sympathy, empathy, compassion. It's an expression to say as much. You're not taking blame for it, you're having a fucking HEART!!!

Or...is that too complicated to understand?

Dear All,

He's saying it's not HIS fucking fault, so why should he be sorry!

I guess being a Christian means you are exempt from human compassion, empathy, and concern for your fellow man, which by the way are emotions not words. You don't have to say anything to feel anothers pain and offer support.

From memory, I think it's that a Christian always has to have to have an answer for everything, no matter how self righteous or stupid or callous or insensitive or totally inadequate it ends up being. And that answer always has to be the last word, because a Christian always has to have the last word.

When I think back to when I was a Christian, all the stupid things I used to say (as well as all the stupid things said to me), how utterly useless and unproductive they were, allI can do is give a big Homer Simpson "D'oh" and slap my forehead in the appropreate manner.

I can't remember many of them now, and I don't really want to. Usual things like "Give Jesus a chance" and "I'll pray for you". They were always parting comments, because, you know, a Christian always has to have the last word.

My boss isn't a super religious Catholic, but she has the annoying habit of saying "Well, at least God never gives me more than I can handle." Last time she said that, I said, "How nice for you - but what about all the suicides? Apparently THEY got more than they could handle...and now they are burning in hell for it, right?" She just looked at me strangely and changed the subject. LOL.

I'm alway appalled after a tragedy, so the tsunami or Katrina, when survivors talk about their prayers being answered. What about all those others who perished, or were horribly harmed? Were their prayers not compelling enough? Were they not desparate enough, or not contrite enough, or perhaps just not worded properly? Perhaps if they'd had an opportunity to submit an annotated outline for comments in advance, they'd have fared better.

It seems to me that it's callous and heartless to attribute one person's survival to prayer when many more have perished.

im gonna play phychic.

pug will say it was them peoples time to go be with the lord

or those people who died were in sin and god ignored them.

(puts away tarot cards)

To have a God that could come up with ANY 'lesson' or reason to allow a violent crime such as rape is to have a God that is unworthy of worship or allegiance.

Almond to that. Anyone who thinks that one should worship a god who causes horrific things to happen to people to learn some kind of lesson has to have their head in the sand. This is an example of mental gymnastics to justify terrible things that happen to good people which can't be justified. If you want to worship a god out of fear, then that's your problem, but don't expect the rest of us to.

My mother drives me nuts. Every time something horrible happens, she says, "Everything happens for a reason." and "God knows what he is doing." I get absolutely no emotional support.

I think she is like this so she won't have to deal with life. She tends to be this sickningly nice person, but she's really judgemental underneath.

I have to agree with everything she says or she'll get really defensive and tell me that all I ever do is argue with her, which isn't true. (I agree with her just to agree with her most of the time.) She has always punished me by crying hyterically and having to be in bed for a couple of days because I've upset her so much, I've made her sick. Which is basically the reason I haven't told her I am not a Christian anymore.

(Sorry, a little off topic, just venting.)

Taph

I think, no matter what we say to console, during someone else's tragedy, it will never ever come out right or be interpreted as intended. The cliche "I'm sorry" for instance ~ why should I be sorry? More so if you are a pastor, especially if you are an unbeliever. And if you are, sure tests your faith, huh?

Ok, so the pastor isn't allowed to be cliche, just because the person he may be offering condolences to isn't a Christian? That makes so much sense. Honest to fucking shit.

Truthfully, though, I hate funerals. I hate going to them. I hate having to deal with the emotional burden of knowing someone is gone and having it paraded around in front of me: I KNOW they're dead, I KNOW I'll never see them again. I don't need the proof in a box. But I've also gone to about a grand total of six in my whole life, two of which I was too young to remember, one of which was a grandfather who didn't even want to give us the courtesy of telling us he was dying (he hadn't talked to our family in so long, I thought he was already dead), and the other three were due to car accident, suicide, and prostate cancer. All of them were family, so saying "sorry for your loss" is rather a silly statement, only because it wasn't only their loss, it was mine too as their niece/grandchild.

But still. Saying something like "It was God's will" is utter bullfuckery. Should I have told my cousins that their mother was shot in the head by a drug dealer because it was the drug dealer's will to kill her? What kind of fucking thing to say would that be? You wouldn't, because it is completely fucking callous. That's like one of my customers saying her accountant (who had to have an eye removed thanks to some kind of growth behind it) had a cancer scare before the surgery because God wanted to make her thankful that it was 'only the eye' being removed. Yes, be thankful, you ungrateful whore, that God is only taking your eye, and that the doctor was playing right along with His game by telling you you only had six months to live. Whoops!

Death is natural in life. Trying to shoehorn it into their reason and rhyme is what gives Christians the ammunition they need to keep squacking their bullshit.