Goodbye Jesus

Facebook Is Killing Me

roadrunner

Advice to parents... DON'T let your kids have a facebook account - it's a fucking NIGHTMARE when they are teenagers. (paying the price now  sad.png  )

Ravenstar can you please be more specific?  Any and all details you can share will help.  I'm having a very hard time raising kids in the internet age because prior to this humans never had to adapt to having a box that connects to the whole world.

Goodbye Jesus

For teenagers it's THE way to plan parties, trade/sell drugs, 'hook-up', gossip.. be bullies and just basically be anti-social little brats.

Myself and a couple of other parents have 'monitored' our kids facebooks (ages 13 - 16) a while back, and that of their friends clandestinely..(we had good reason and it was suggested by the police - who also monitor it when they have legal reason). and I'll tell you... you don't want to know what goes on there. shocking! Drug dealers find contacts (our kids) on it, pimps are searching for vulnerable kids, and the drama and threats of violence are appalling. It's easy to be tough behind a monitor - it's also illegal. The kids today - because of social media are not learning to deal with others face to face.. and that is causing a whole lot of problems. We had to deal with maybe 400 kids in high school.. and we didn't interact with most of them... the kids today are interacting with thousands (my own has over 1000 facebook 'friends' and a lot are much older than they are.)

That doesn't include the 'creepers' (as the kids call them) that try to friend them and message them on a regular basis (usually men over 19.. more likely over 30).

Without total control over the account.. and a keyboard logger.. I wouldn't suggest it for any parent.. especially if they are 12 and over.

I'm not exaggerating.. talk to any police officer.

Why does everybody blame Facebook and act as if it's an all or nothing proposition? You can easily control what you see and whom you deal with. You can control who sees your posts, too. I don't know why so many people have a problem with Facebook. It's very useful if you tailor it to your needs and don't leave yourself open to every idiotic thing that everybody you know might want to post.

Agree and disagree.  Facebook is a social phenomenon.  Yes, you can choose who your friends are and who aren't...but if you have a facebook page choose not to friend your religious relatives (and they are ALL on there), it can become an issue.  Mom and Aunt Mary want to know why you are ignoring them on facebook.  Much easier to just NOT have a facebook page as an excuse to avoid unnecessary conflict. 

I think facebook can be useful if you have a business or other needs to get information out to people regularly, but quite frankly for MOST people it is just a time-waster.  I don't think facebook is evil or bad, but you can easily stay in touch with the people who matter without it.  If you enjoy it great.  For me, the stress wasn't worth it.  I'm also not keen on some of the privacy issues.  But i'm not one who wants everything I do every day out there on the web.  To each their own.  I know people who have a much happier, healthier life without watching TV.  That doesn't mean everyone should follow suit.  But it is an option.

I have to say that you can friend them but block their posts from your page. =) you hover over their name and hover over the friends button and then you change what shows up in your news feed, alternatively if they post a religious comment you can hide it and from there change what you see in your news feed from that person. I have done this myself and my family has no idea i cant see anything they post. also I joined a lot of great groups like the we love atheism group and others and it keeps the humor alive in my page, I also like fb because I can get info from the things like want to see like the science pages and great cooking ideas and other cool stuff.. FB doesn't have to be all about family and friends.. =) 

Well, it seems they have added some control features since I left...which has been quite awhile ago.  Meh, I still don't miss it! Haha.

Without total control over the account.. and a keyboard logger.. I wouldn't suggest it for any parent.. especially if they are 12 and over.

It’s against their policy to have users 12 and under anyway. I hear that some kids lie about their age to get an account, but if they do that, they certainly won’t let their parents know. (And if the parents lie about their kids’ age, well... I guess you have nothing to say to them.)