Goodbye Jesus

Christian Fundamentalism

Deva

^^^  But they cherry-pick the 'commands' to suit their personal biases, bigotry and ignorance (I've yet to meet a fundie that was well-educated - they may exist, but I would be deeply concerned about their mental health). I have yet to meet one fundamentalist christian that follows ALL the commandments, or even most of them. Honestly, I don't think most of them have actually read their bibles.

They do a lot of yapping, but their actions don't jive. The one thing they DO have in common is the ability to judge other people, viciously. They almost seem gleeful at the prospect of eternal torment for those who do not believe EXACTLY as they do. Christianity is not the only offender though... fundamentalists of all religions (or even ideologies) are all the same.. as far as I can see.

Funda-MENTAL.

Funda-MENTAL.

Yes, they do a real job on your head.

As far as knowing the Bible, the fundamentalists I knew that were fanatics (such as my mother) know it chapter and verse. They read it all the time. They memorize it. It seems incredibly important that they know where all these verses are found in the Bible. It is HOW they read it that is so amazingly different. As Geezer said, it is all taken as literal truth. It is really no different than how they read the newspaper or glean their knowledge of the world from FOX news.

That they idolize a book actually never occurred to me until I was well into adulthood.

^^^  But they cherry-pick the 'commands' to suit their personal biases, bigotry and ignorance (I've yet to meet a fundie that was well-educated - they may exist, but I would be deeply concerned about their mental health). I have yet to meet one fundamentalist christian that follows ALL the commandments, or even most of them. Honestly, I don't think most of them have actually read their bibles.

They do a lot of yapping, but their actions don't jive. The one thing they DO have in common is the ability to judge other people, viciously. They almost seem gleeful at the prospect of eternal torment for those who do not believe EXACTLY as they do. Christianity is not the only offender though... fundamentalists of all religions (or even ideologies) are all the same.. as far as I can see.

I agree with most of the thoughts you've expressed, but my experience suggest all fundies are not ignorant or uneducated.

After getting away from religion I have come to realize what a powerful and effective tool indoctrination really is. I’m convinced the average person doesn’t understand the power of indoctrination. Done right it has the power to virtually take over an unsuspecting person’s mind.

As far as there being educated fundamentalists I can personally attest to the fact they not only exist but in significant numbers and I saw no signs of any of them being mentally ill when I was a member of the Church of Christ.

The Church of Christi is about as whacky as religious fundamentalism gets. College educated people with graduate level degrees were common in the c of c. I knew a number of medical doctors, engineers, college professors, and yes even scientist. They somehow managed to compartmentalize and separate their religious beliefs from their secular education. They were able, as I was, to work through their cognitive dissonance by rationalizing the conflicts and inconsistencies.

My experience indicates that all fundamentalists are not by definition ignorant or uneducated people. They all are, however, thoroughly brainwashed and susceptible to allowing superstitious beliefs to override their normally rational thinking. That, of course, is the result of having been brainwashed.

If the premise is accepted that all religions are cults, and dealing with their followers must be done as would be common with any member of a cult. Their members have to be deprogrammed before they can be re-educated and brought back into the real world. It has been noted many times on this board that entering into a discussion with a fundamentalist is pointless because they're brainwashed. They simple do not process words and concepts the same way rational people do. IMO, there is a big difference between being brainwashed and being ignorant and uneducated. That said, we all are aware there are a number of uneducated brain dead religious fundamentalist. They are IMO and experience, beyond help.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
Many times i have thought that I am over this stuff, and I could just move on. Then out of the blue, it gets triggered

I'm right with you on that, Deva.  I'll do great for months, then suddenly .. BAM.  

During the past ten years or so, I have figured out that my triggers seem to happen more often during election times when the xtian nutjobs are trying to elect candidates who want to pass laws to turn this country into a theocracy.  We can't get past one election before another campaign gets started causing this antagonistic political atmosphere to seem constant.

Then there's my family.  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Maybe it's akin to sensory overload.  I don't know, but I have to come back here for a dose of sanity.  And reality.

------------------------------------

I totally agree with you and Hitchens about that racist, misogynist, cruel, compassionless, greedy poor excuse for a human being, Falwell, as well as all of the other moral majority/religious reich/dominionism/reconstruction types.  Usually I don't say "all" about anything or any group.  But I swear, I can't think of a single one of them who would be an exception.