Goodbye Jesus

Noah: The Movie

owen652

anyone seen this trailer? There certainly seems to be a lot of money in Hollywood at the moment being thrown at Christian propaganda films. They've even taken on board (pun intended) the creationist idea of geysers of water shooting up through the earth's crust, to get around the problem of there not being anywhere near enough water through precipitation alone to flood the earth. 

Why Rusty, why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OSaJE2rqxU

Such a movie should make money, that's why.

• Like 1

Wow I'm surprised by the big names in this movie. Maybe all the Christian movie crap is riding on the coat tails of the success of that bible series that was on around Easter this past year. Perhaps they learned there are a lot of religious nuts they can be catering to. It seemed that kick started an interest in visualizing the stories of the bible too. I dunno, just a theory.

But Russell Crowe and Emma Watson... I'll probably go see it lol

Part of me is sickened by the idea of this film. I am not looking forward to the reactions I know we'll hear from Christians saying this film glorifies their god. And I'll be mystified as usual, wondering how anyone with a functional mind isn't repulsed by this monster god character, slaughtering every innocent kitten and cockatoo.

But I also have a hope for this film, that a number of people will see it and it will spark a realization in their minds that this is the worst horror story ever told, and will be disgusted by it, and will think about it, and will keep thinking and wondering why in the hell they should believe this garbage. If it has this effect on anyone then it will be doing good.

Lol, fuck noah and the boat he rode in on.

• Like 4

Wow I'm surprised by the big names in this movie. Maybe all the Christian movie crap is riding on the coat tails of the success of that bible series that was on around Easter this past year. Perhaps they learned there are a lot of religious nuts they can be catering to. It seemed that kick started an interest in visualizing the stories of the bible too. I dunno, just a theory.

But Russell Crowe and Emma Watson... I'll probably go see it lol

And Ray Winstone and Anthony Hopkins. And above all, Darren Aronofsky directing! I mean, this is the guy who did The Wrestler and The Black Swan -- movies about madness and agony and ... well, movies that nobody would ever consider to be Christian or inspiring.

I sure don't like what I see in the trailer, either. But I can't help but think Aronofsky is likely to make a movie that challenges assumptions.

Yeah, with that cast and that director/co-writer I'll watch it, too, even as I go "yuck!" about the very idea of the thing.

Personally, I enjoy watching movies showing Biblical and other mythological events.  If done well, they can be quite entertaining.  You have to admit that, though the events of the flood and ark carrying all those animals is not remotely possible, there is much drama in the story.  For example, surely the character Noah had his doubts that it was really God speaking to him and imagine the doubts that his family must have had.  Then there's the drama of the rains beginning and going on and on and on to the point when people who were not securely in the ark began to worry and then become scared, then frightened beyond all imagination, and then massive drownings.  Imagine Noah wondering whether what he built would withstand the waters and wondering just how he and his family were going to care for all the animals.  Once the waters covered the surface of the entire earth (according to the story), I can picture Noah and the family being fearful that maybe the waters would never recede so he keeps checking (sending the birds out) until finally he is relieved and overjoyed when the dove returns with proof that the waters had begun to recede.

It's a great story but that is all it is - a mythological story.

• Like 2

Personally, I enjoy watching movies showing Biblical and other mythological events. If done well, they can be quite entertaining. You have to admit that, though the events of the flood and ark carrying all those animals is not remotely possible, there is much drama in the story. For example, surely the character Noah had his doubts that it was really God speaking to him and imagine the doubts that his family must have had. Then there's the drama of the rains beginning and going on and on and on to the point when people who were not securely in the ark began to worry and then become scared, then frightened beyond all imagination, and then massive drownings. Imagine Noah wondering whether what he built would withstand the waters and wondering just how he and his family were going to care for all the animals. Once the waters covered the surface of the entire earth (according to the story), I can picture Noah and the family being fearful that maybe the waters would never recede so he keeps checking (sending the birds out) until finally he is relieved and overjoyed when the dove returns with proof that the waters had begun to recede.

It's a great story but that is all it is - a mythological story.

I agree, but for me personally, I am still fairly fresh in my deconversion, and the fact that just a year ago, I would have watched this movie and actually believed in the myth, makes me cringe in anger and disgust that I could be so deluded by a book of myths.

The thought of watching biblical movies at this stage, still makes me feel disgusted. I think that after I have stabilized, I will be able to watch biblical films without a problem, but for now, it just makes me angry that I believed in all this mythological BS, and millions of people around me still do, including my dad.

I'm sure my dad will watch the movie with relish, and be delighted to watch it on screen as his god destroys the earth in judgement. He's a very "end times" kind of Christian, and he actually gets a thrill from the idea of god wiping out the earth and destroying everything.... It makes me sick, that my dad is such a whack job, and this movie is just another awful reminder of that to me.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

I thought everyone in Hollyweird was a Scientologist. That's what Christians tell me, yet here they are making more Christian propaganda movies.

I still remember the movie, "The Bible: In The Beginning" from 1966. Well done with some very big names (John Huston, George C. Scott, Peter O'Toole, Ava Gardner, and more) and we got to see a little side boob. I've always liked the major Bible epic movies. What I don't understand about them is why the Romans always have an English accent.

I also note that the intro statement that flashes onscreen so briefly at the beginning of the trailer says not only that the world was wicked -- but that the solution was wicked, too. And we all know who was responsible for that wicked solution.

The trailer seems to show a standard biblical epic writ even larger with 21st century special effects. But moviemakers don't usually have control over trailers (IIRC), so it may be that the money people insisted on a "biblically correct" trailer while Aronofsky has created something more subversive. Anyway, so we can hope.

I don't know if I can watch it. The thought of all those people...drowning. That's nightmarish. I think it briefly showed a wall of water rushing over some people, knocking them off their feet. That's enough to make me vomit. What a cruel punishment! Surely not EVERYONE was evil except for Noah and his family. Surely there were others.

Oh. Yeah, I forgot. It's not real.

Atleast its not a 2 hour movie filled with blood and gore like the one about Jesus.

The bible story is very short i dont know how they want to make a long movie out of it without being too creative (and pissing of the christians). and i am really curios how they want to explain/show that there are all sorts of animals in the boat and if they will have penguins too :D maybe this movie makes people realize how stupid the story is.

• Like 1

I can't wait until those fundies says good things about the movie, exaggerated review, must watch, my faith is stronger, bla bla bla

Prepare for passion of christ v.2.0

Anyway about the trailer, I'm not sure about the meteorites falling off the sky

Raoul!!!  Good to see you  :)

But I also have a hope for this film, that a number of people will see it and it will spark a realization in their minds that this is the worst horror story ever told, and will be disgusted by it, and will think about it, and will keep thinking and wondering why in the hell they should believe this garbage. If it has this effect on anyone then it will be doing good.

Eh, from the trailer, it looks like bible-pushing. Xians will go, "Finally! The world is

realizing that our god is an awesome god!" Now if they made a bible movie with all the rape, genocide, and Jeebus's mental illness, that would be interesting.

• Like 1

Hey Raoul, haven't seen you in awhile. Welcome back.

About the snakes: I think god used his powers to keep them from biting other creatures on the boat. How strange that he couldn't use powers to make all the bad guys on earth suffocate so there wouldn't have to be a flood.

Anthony Hopkins is in this?? Hannibal Lecter has been disgraced.

• Like 2

My Church of Christ friends are already complaining about how inaccurate it's going to be.

The only thing that could get me to watch this is if Christopher Walken is in it.

My Church of Christ friends are already complaining about how inaccurate it's going to be.

If it's about wardrobe, I agree with them. "Noah" looks like he just made a five minute sweep at Kohl's and then rolled around in the parking lot for a few minutes.

The only thing that could get me to watch this is if Christopher Walken is in it.

If Christopher Walken played the voice of GOD, I would be the first one in the theater. Love his whacky voice.

• Like 1

This doesn't have to be propaganda simply because it comes from a religious text. It's a good story, just like the Superman, etc... myths are good stories, that have the potential to make a good movie if done right.

As someone showed to me earlier when I commented on my frustrations regarding it, the movie might not be what it looks like from the trailer. The original script would make one believe it is an environmentalist movie with little connection to the points the biblical story made. Read this before judging it: http://godawa.com/movieblog/darren-aronofskys-noah-environmentalist-wacko/

In general, though, my beef with religious movies is that they're not just fiction or a fairy tale. Sure, you could say they're interesting, but the fact is that very, very many people believe these stories amid all the logical fallacies in them. Most people I know truly believe the flood happened as the Bible described, so it's frustrating for me to see it actually being taken seriously at all.

LOL Hollywood are just trying to make money out of the bible as they have no more other stories really that will make them big bucks. there are millions of people who will pay to see this. especially with the actors they've got.

my mum would say they're making a mockery of god because the actors in it are sinners...... could be a good laugh perhaps...