Goodbye Jesus

Honor Your Father And Mother

amateur

I'm adopted I've had two sets of parents: Bio= non-religious but spiritual, Adoptive= fundy.  My bio parents win hands down.  They cared about ME, my fundy parents cared about religion, church, their social status in the church, but never about me.  I was a person to my real parents, but just an object to my adoptive parents.  As soon as I entered my adoptive parents home I was on eggshells all the time, in trouble for everything under the sun (things that weren't even wrong), neglected, poorly clothed, poorly treated, dirty.  My real parents would never have let me to be dirty, or clothed in rags.  So much for Christian love.  They sure do love their Jesus though.  That's great because it's all theyre ever going to have. 

Why were you adopted, if you don't mind my asking?

I don't mind.  There was an accident and I lost my family (parents).  I was very young. 

"Honor your Father"....even when he crucifies you.  Sad how in the bible Jesus really did love his father and look what the father did to him.  I don't think the father deserved for Jesus to love him. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only Toobis can decide what is stupid and what isn't!!!!

I call upon the Flord Our Mod to smite thee, troll!

This isn't trolling.

I am just stating that just one guy can be an authority on what is and isn't, especially since he has changed the world, just as I have done.

How have you changed the world?

This isn't trolling.

I am just stating that just one guy can be an authority on what is and isn't, especially since he has changed the world, just as I have done.

He gets very quiet when asked how he changed the world.  He also gets quiet when asked if his hero Toobis was ever arrested for domestic abuse.

This isn't trolling.

He gets very quiet when asked how he changed the world. He also gets quiet when asked if his hero Toobis was ever arrested for domestic abuse.

Who's Toobis?

• Super Moderator

Also, there are alot of opinions on here I don't like.

No fucking shit. Bye bye, troll.

Darn. Might have been interesting to get into an argument with him. Oh well. Praise be to the Flord Our Mod!

Darn. Might have been interesting to get into an argument with him. 

So far all attempts to communicate with Toobis . . . er I mean Christaffsssfff were very disappointing.

Oh well. Praise be to the Flord Our Mod!

Our Mod does answer prayer!

• Like 1

So far all attempts to communicate with Toobis . . . er I mean Christaffsssfff were very disappointing.

I haven't thought of my attempts as disappointing. He was a very amusing troll.

So far all attempts to communicate with Toobis . . . er I mean Christaffsssfff were very disappointing.

I haven't thought of my attempts as disappointing. He was a very amusing troll.

He was a cutie. We need more trolls.

OP, I totally agree. Respect should be earned, not demanded, and that includes parents.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Here is my number one rule for parenting:  Just because you are the parent doesn't give you the right to dictate the terms of the relationship.  This applies to me as a father as well.

• Like 1

HonorThyFatherTattoo.jpg

• Like 2

HonorThyFatherTattoo.jpg

*Yoda*

Mmm . . . awkward this is.

*/Yoda*

The whole "honor your father and mother" thing backfired on me. One of my primary reasons for not being more outspoken about my faith was out of respect to my family. My parents both had religious upbringings, bad histories with the church. Neither of them are believers. So I respected them enough to mention my own choices to convert, join a church, etc.

None of my extended family is involved in the church either. One cousin is nominally Catholic, had her daughter baptized in the church and sends her to Catholic school. Other than that, nada. Zip. Kinda strange, when I write it, but my family just doesn't do religion. All of my grandparents are dead except for one. My mom's mom left the church after her husband passed away in the late 60s and hasn't been back since except for funerals, baptisms, and the like.

I honored my parents by not discussing my beliefs with them. My pastor, friends in the church, mentor...all were upset that I wasn't willing to "spread the good news". I couldn't seem to make them understand that my parents have been there, done that. So has my grandmother and my mom's siblings. They all had bad experiences in the church that resulted in them leaving in their teens or 20s. None of them had been back on any real level, and they're all in their 50s-60s now. My dad's family is much the same and I don't have contact with them anyway.

Whenever I read the verses where Jesus says "I came to put mother against daughter, son against father, etc", I would freak out. I didn't want to give up on my family! I never understood how so many Christians could be so cavalier about familial relationships. Some people cut ties with their kids or parents or their whole family! Other people just act like it's no big deal that their family wants nothing to do with them. They latch onto this idea of Jesus, Father, Spirit and the church is like this replacement family.

The whole "honor your father and mother" thing backfired on me. One of my primary reasons for not being more outspoken about my faith was out of respect to my family. My parents both had religious upbringings, bad histories with the church. Neither of them are believers. So I respected them enough to mention my own choices to convert, join a church, etc.

None of my extended family is involved in the church either. One cousin is nominally Catholic, had her daughter baptized in the church and sends her to Catholic school. Other than that, nada. Zip. Kinda strange, when I write it, but my family just doesn't do religion. All of my grandparents are dead except for one. My mom's mom left the church after her husband passed away in the late 60s and hasn't been back since except for funerals, baptisms, and the like.

I honored my parents by not discussing my beliefs with them. My pastor, friends in the church, mentor...all were upset that I wasn't willing to "spread the good news". I couldn't seem to make them understand that my parents have been there, done that. So has my grandmother and my mom's siblings. They all had bad experiences in the church that resulted in them leaving in their teens or 20s. None of them had been back on any real level, and they're all in their 50s-60s now. My dad's family is much the same and I don't have contact with them anyway.

Whenever I read the verses where Jesus says "I came to put mother against daughter, son against father, etc", I would freak out. I didn't want to give up on my family! I never understood how so many Christians could be so cavalier about familial relationships. Some people cut ties with their kids or parents or their whole family! Other people just act like it's no big deal that their family wants nothing to do with them. They latch onto this idea of Jesus, Father, Spirit and the church is like this replacement family.

But you were honoring your parents and family by respecting them!  I grew up in an agnostic family, and there was no way I could've or would've tried to talk them into anything.  I never had to deal with the church putting pressure on me to try to convert them, and I'm glad.  That would not have gone well!  I probably would've just lied to the church and said they went to another church, but if they caught me in an honest moment it would not have ended well.  I would have been very angry at the church for even suggesting I do something like that!

I never understood the "putting family member against family member" thing, too.  Sure, if you have a crappy, dysfunctional, destructive family that you choose to keep away from, that's one thing.  But over religion?  Where's that unconditional love that gets talked about so much?

I'd like to know where the unconditional love is when it comes to the church....*crickets*...oh yeah, it's fictional. Christians only love you when you're on their side. The love of Christ is 100% conditional. Nothing can compete with their love of Jesus, y'know.

It's sad to me, that a lot of sincere believers (whatever that is) would actually pick Jesus over their spouses, kids, siblings, etc. They pick the Bible over real relationships, prayer over actual conversation, and respect over love any day of the freakin' week. Or at least the Christians that I know would.

• Like 1