Goodbye Jesus

Christians Are A Laughing Stock

1AcceptingAThiest1

A christian tells an Athiest about this verse what is a good defense an Athiest can use?..........

2 Peter 3:3-4 says, “First, I want to remind you that in the last days there will be scoffers who will laugh at the truth and do every evil thing they desire. This will be their argument: “Jesus promised to come back, did he? Then where is he? Why, as far back as anyone can remember, everything has remained exactly the same since the world was first created.” Wow, does that not describe the world we live in right now? I think it is amazing that the fact that people are laughing at and mocking Jesus Christ is a sign itself of his return.....ironic

A christian tells an Athiest about this verse what is a good defense an Athiest can use?..........

I don't know what Athiests would say, but I might be able to figure out some things an Atheist would say. Wendyshrug.gif

2 Peter 3:3-4 says, “First, I want to remind you that in the last days there will be scoffers who will laugh at the truth and do every evil thing they desire.

The scoffing is true. Laughing at the truth is not so much since science covers more about the objective truth than subjective belief. Not dismissing that subjective experience is part of reality and truth as well, but atheists rarely laugh at the objective and scientific truths. They do however frequently laugh at subjective experience. So that part is kind'a half-and-half. Something that's completely false in the verse is that they do every evil thing they desire. That's ridiculous and very accusatory. I'm an atheist at the bottom of my beliefs, but I do not... I repeat... do not every evil thing I desire. I just don't because that would be stupid to do. Besides, I don't desire to do evil things either! That's a stupid accusation.

This will be their argument: “Jesus promised to come back, did he? Then where is he? Why, as far back as anyone can remember, everything has remained exactly the same since the world was first created.” Wow, does that not describe the world we live in right now? I think it is amazing that the fact that people are laughing at and mocking Jesus Christ is a sign itself of his return.....ironic

That would only represent the first of three points in the Bible verse. Mocking? Yes. Laughing at truth? Not quite true. Desiring and doing evil things. Not at all. So 30% hit rate and you call that a win?

People have been mocking christians since jesus supposedly flew away, so this "prediction" has exactly the same weight as jesus' own prediction saying he will be back within the apostles lifetimes.

Also, if you are writing bullshit and want people to believe and follow it, a good fail safe is to add in there somewhere that believers will be mocked, but to carry on believing anyway.  There were educated people in the first century, they knew how to think critically, and they were much, much closer and familiar with the Pagan religions christianity stole from to begin with.  And whoever was writing or compiling and adding to the new testament were presumably intelligent and educated by the fact they could write.  Im sure they knew they were ripping off older ideas and would not be universally accepted.  This is also why they targeted the poor and uneducated to convert first.  They are the most desperate and gullible.

I don't know for sure, but perhaps others on here know of any similar verses in Mormonism?  If your making a new religion it makes sense to add an escape clause.  Scientology may also have a verse like that too...

2 Peter 3:3-4 says, “First, I want to remind you that in the last days there will be scoffers who will laugh at the truth and do every evil thing they desire. This will be their argument: “Jesus promised to come back, did he? Then where is he? Why, as far back as anyone can remember, everything has remained exactly the same since the world was first created.” Wow, does that not describe the world we live in right now? I think it is amazing that the fact that people are laughing at and mocking Jesus Christ is a sign itself of his return.....ironic

Well, I could write a really ridiculous book full of wacky predictions that will occur some day (with no specific deadline) and write inside it: "People will make fun of you for believing what I write in here, because it's true and they just don't want to admit it." What would you say to that?

But actually, the Bible says that not one generation shall pass before all is fulfilled. Well, a bunch of generations have passed. 

Also, Everything hasn't stayed exactly the same since the world was first created: We have a fossil record that proves plants and animals (including humans) have evolved from other previous creatures. The world is millions of years older than humankind or the Bible. 

I don't mock Jesus, and the reason I stopped believing is not the above reason you cite, that he hasn't returned to earth yet. That is irrelevant to my not believing in God or Jesus or the Bible anymore. 

I don't believe the Bible is real because it is inaccurate scientifically and historically. 

• Like 1

People mocked Jesus himself. The apostles were mocked. Every generation of Christians has been mocked (quite often by other Christians). 

<mocking>

You wanna tap into fear and pull out obscure passages from a book of fables, be my guest.

</mocking>

• Like 2

Laughing at the Christian is a good defense.

I am actually more concerned with this quote from Lord of the Rings: Aragorn said, "It is an army bred for a single purpose: to destroy the world of men. They will be here by ... Too few have come. We cannot defeat the armies of Mordor."

Did you hear that prophecy? We cannot defeat them. Holy cow!

BTW - If you're a protestant, you aren't, technically, a Christian at all. Read the Church Fathers. You're all a bunch of apostates to whom nothing but the self is sacred.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Matt 16:28  "And I tell you the truth, some standing here right now will not die before they see the Son of Man coming in his Kingdom."

So? Is this verse right or is it the other one? The Bible also says to stone unruly children and that bats are birds and a snake can talk. So?

Besides, I mock other religions too. That makes them all true?

I am not actually a human being, like I have been pretending to be. I am actually an alien from another planet, disguised as a human, to fit in. One day, a fleet of war ships from my home planet will come to the Earth. Everyone who refuses to become slaves to my kind will be beamed up into the ships to be probed and dissected while being kept alive during the process. Before the invasion, many people will not believe that it's coming.

From now until the invasion of Earth, there will be scoffers who will laugh at the truth. Those scoffers will say that I am making this up or I'm delusional. Anyone who believes that what I say is true will also be laughed at. If anyone laughs at me and/or those who believe my claims, from now until the invasion, that proves that what I say is true.

• Like 5

It's not ironic, it's moronic. How about the church cleaning up its own act before telling others they are lacking?

Mat 23:23-29 MKJV  Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithes of mint and dill and cummin, and you have left undone the weightier matters of the Law, judgment, mercy, and faith. You ought to have done these and not to leave the other undone.  (24)  Blind guides who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!  (25)  Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of extortion and excess.  (26)  Blind Pharisee! First cleanse the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of them may be clean also.  (27)  Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which indeed appear beautiful outside, but inside they are full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.  (28)  Even so you also appear righteous to men outwardly, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.  (29)  Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because you build the tombs of the prophets, and decorate the tombs of the righteous,

Run along.

• Super Moderator

I am not actually a human being, like I have been pretending to be. I am actually an alien from another planet, disguised as a human, to fit in. One day, a fleet of war ships from my home planet will come to the Earth. Everyone who refuses to become slaves to my kind will be beamed up into the ships to be probed and dissected while being kept alive during the process. Before the invasion, many people will not believe that it's coming.

From now until just before the invasion of Earth, there will be scoffers who will laugh at the truth. Those scoffers will say that I am making this up or I'm delusional. Anyone who believes that what I say is true will also be laughed at. If anyone laughs at me and/or those who believe my claims, from now until just before the invasion, that proves that what I say is true.

You weren't supposed to tell them, crazyguy.  You're going to be in big trouble when the Six-Nippled One (Glorify Her Name) finds out that you've been spilling the beans down here!  I'm putting you on report as soon as I return to the mother ship.

• Like 3

"A christian tells an Athiest about this verse what is a good defense an Athiest can use?..........

2 Peter 3:3-4 says, “First, I want to remind you that in the last days there will be scoffers who will laugh at the truth and do every evil thing they desire. This will be their argument: “Jesus promised to come back, did he? Then where is he? Why, as far back as anyone can remember, everything has remained exactly the same since the world was first created.” Wow, does that not describe the world we live in right now? I think it is amazing that the fact that people are laughing at and mocking Jesus Christ is a sign itself of his return.....ironic "   1AcceptingATheist1

Wow. Well, that's it !  Who could overcome that logic? Back to Xtianity I go.

I think the existence of the verse indicates that the early Christians were butt-hurt because people were snickering at them and debunking them even way back when.

• Like 3

I think the existence of the verse indicates that the early Christians were butt-hurt because people were snickering at them and debunking them even way back when.

Exactly ... it was not a prophecy. it was just recording what was happening at the time ... after all ... let's remember they were expecting him to return in the lifetime of some of those standing there by the admission of Jesus himself!

• Like 1

The Great Record of the Flying Spaghetti Monster:

The holy FSM told the first disciples:

"Behold, in the last days, people will mock you and laugh at you and call you idiots for believing in me. Do not fret, for it is a sign, that my Awesome, off-the-chain return is nigh! I will come in the clouds boiling like a pot of Italian pasta! The moon will be as red a marinara sauce, and the sun will be as black compared to my Glory!"

So let the unbelievers scoff, my glorious return is upon you!"

Wow! So amazing. Just like modern day, people laugh at the pastafarians and write hate mail, and they don't believe! People have no respect for the FSM, just like he said would happen.

Amazing prophecy! His return is nigh, repent and believe the gospel of our holy pasta!!!!!

• Like 1

"Wow, does that not describe the world we live in right now? I think it is amazing that the fact that people are laughing at and mocking Jesus Christ is a sign itself of his return.....ironic" 1AcceptingjATheist1

So your argument goes something like this: When people are mocking Xtianity. that "proves" that Xtianity is true. When they don't mock Xtianity, it is true because nobody disagrees.

For clarification, if disagreement with Xtianity proves it's true, how does one object to Xtianity if it is false without  also proving it to be true, according to your enlightened view? Or is your whole point that there is no way to prove it is false, even if it is?

How many mockers does it take before mocking Xtiantiy proves it is true? One? A thousand? 

What if atheists in the US mock Xtianity but no one in Europe does? Is it true in the US, but false in Europe?

Who does the census, or is it an imaginary one like the census of tax payors during Jesus' time?

Does mocking atheist prove atheism to be true? Or does it only work for Xtianity? Or is it just a matter of your subjective opinion?

bill

• Like 2

Theres always been people saying "where is this Jesus?" even in Paul's day people scoffed at his beliefs. But then people scoff at many other peoples beliefs as well but that does not make those other beliefs true.

From now until just before the invasion of Earth, there will be scoffers who will laugh at the truth. Those scoffers will say that I am making this up or I'm delusional. Anyone who believes that what I say is true will also be laughed at. If anyone laughs at me and/or those who believe my claims, from now until just before the invasion, that proves that what I say is true.

You weren't supposed to tell them, crazyguy.  You're going to be in big trouble when the Six-Nippled One (Glorify Her Name) finds out that you've been spilling the beans down here!  I'm putting you on report as soon as I return to the mother ship.

Can I be dissected by The Six Nippled One (Glorify Her Name)? 

Kinda sounds like my kinda thing...

• Like 1

Wow, does that not describe the world we live in right now?

No,

No it doesn't. Sorry. 

Dude, your standard on "signs" are very low. People have been mocking Jesus from day one. Some of it is even documented in the bible. 

I predict that the Sun will rise tomorrow. Wow. Such psychic. Doge.

Any religion can predict its eventual demise. It's basic logic. Beliefs falter. 

I can predict that the next 100 religions and cults that come into existence in the near future will also meet their eventual demise. This is not a supernatural prediction, it's called education. There was plenty of history and knowledge 2000 years ago for someone to know this. "Messiahs" back in those days were actually extremely common, and many of them "foresaw" their own decline as well. These psuedo-predictions can actually be seen as evidence against any religion that makes them, in the same way that a salesman making use of dishonest closing tactics can be seen as evidence that the sale is in fact a scam.

If anything the fact that Christians actually look to this "prediction" as proof just shows how desperate and sad they are. You cling to each and every straw there is to grasp regardless of validity.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Can I be dissected by The Six Nippled One (Glorify Her Name)? 

Kinda sounds like my kinda thing...

The Six Nippled One (Glorify Her Name) is likely to rape you, kill you, and skin you; although she may not do it in that order.

• Like 1

^^^ (Sounds like an accurate description of a cat...)

As others have said, mocking has been going on since Jesus's day.

I think it's very easy to make a prediction that people will mock you. I could say I'm going to start my own religion and that when I do people will mock me for it. Think it will be an accurate prophecy?

• Like 2

Guest OldSeer

The Jews have been waiting for their Idea of the Messiah for ?-- how long. 4000 years maybe. Take into account the book says JC is "the word". Word imparts knowledge. It's new knowledge that is to arrive. :)