Goodbye Jesus

I Pmed This To Ironhorse...he Didn't Reply. Of Course.

bornagainathiest

Bang on, MR nails it. 

Gus wrote the post above after writing:

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/62847-why-are-we-here/?p=969480

Admitting I don’t know on some subject does not lessen to me the truth of the bible and the existence of God

We ultimately run into the same thing with every christian here.  Every single one.  They all have the "truth" and it ultimately reverts to them preaching, not having a "discussion."

Gus, it seems to me, is trying to engage in a discussion here.

He did not say he had all the truth on every subject, but that did not diminish his faith in the truth of the scriptures. 

Could you at least acknowledge his statement without reverting to the same old cliches here?

Actually, TinPony, Gus has interacted with me as much as anyone; and while I appreciate his thoughtful approach (in contrast to your copy and paste style), the sad truth is that when I ask him a tough question or make a point he cannot rebut, he does very often fall back on the old "I don't know but the bible is true 'argument'".  It can't be helped, as he is still trapped in The Matrix (don't think the irony of his profile pic is lost on me), bless his heart.  You could learn a thing or two from him, though, TinPony, if you'll learn to pay attention.  

However, with that said, it's not the same old cliche if it's true.

Please post one of these old cliches that is true. Beyond any doubt or question.

• Super Moderator

Bang on, MR nails it. 

Admitting I don’t know on some subject does not lessen to me the truth of the bible and the existence of God

We ultimately run into the same thing with every christian here.  Every single one.  They all have the "truth" and it ultimately reverts to them preaching, not having a "discussion."

He did not say he had all the truth on every subject, but that did not diminish his faith in the truth of the scriptures. 

Could you at least acknowledge his statement without reverting to the same old cliches here?

Actually, TinPony, Gus has interacted with me as much as anyone; and while I appreciate his thoughtful approach (in contrast to your copy and paste style), the sad truth is that when I ask him a tough question or make a point he cannot rebut, he does very often fall back on the old "I don't know but the bible is true 'argument'".  It can't be helped, as he is still trapped in The Matrix (don't think the irony of his profile pic is lost on me), bless his heart.  You could learn a thing or two from him, though, TinPony, if you'll learn to pay attention.  

Please post one of these old cliches that is true. Beyond any doubt or question.

No.  You are plenty clever enough to understand when a cliche fits and when it doesn't.  Therefore, you are more than welcome to read back over BAA's OP and see how it applies to both yourself and Gus.

Bang on, MR nails it. 

No.  You are plenty clever enough to understand when a cliche fits and when it doesn't.  Therefore, you are more than welcome to read back over BAA's OP and see how it applies to both yourself and Gus.

You said this..."it's not the same old cliche if it's true."

I am seeking understanding on what you mean by a cliche that is truth.

Guest Marty

Bang on, MR nails it. 

Shut the fuck up and go away, Tin Pony...

• Super Moderator

Bang on, MR nails it. 

Your jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find".  Perhaps you should put your problem to him?  Or, you could just go back to the OP, as I clearly instructed you to do.

Bang on, MR nails it. 

Your jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find".  Perhaps you should put your problem to him?  Or, you could just go back to the OP, as I clearly instructed you to do.

You are not answering my question.

I did seek and find. I don't have any problems with the rebel from Nazareth.

Go back to the OP? What question did I miss?

Bang on, MR nails it. 

His statement states that even if he doesn't know subject X or Y, he will STILL believe in the truth of his holy book.  That is by definition a leap of faith.  I know you can't see it, because you've allowed your own mind to be clouded by the dogma, but this is not how normal people conduct debates or pursue knowledge. 

This is believing in spite of any evidence to the contrary.

I don't understand your purpose. What is it that you want from us?

We ask for evidence… you give us the same old non-answer. It doesn't work for us anymore. We ask for reasoning.. still.. the same non-answer. We ask questions about ethics and we get the same non-answer. You are obtuse to an insane degree. Or as Jethro Tull put it, "Thick as a Brick".

You've got nothing… except some vague feelings and indoctrination.

But you can't see this…at all, you are completely blind. It is extremely frustrating, and mind-boggling.

Again, what do you expect here?

We ask for evidence… you give us the same old non-answer. It doesn't work for us anymore. We ask for reasoning.. still.. the same non-answer. We ask questions about ethics and we get the same non-answer. You are obtuse to an insane degree. Or as Jethro Tull put it, "Thick as a Brick".

But you can't see this…at all, you are completely blind. It is extremely frustrating, and mind-boggling.

I don't expect anything.

The Lion's Den is a forum of this online community that allows Christians to post and

share their faith. I really appreciate the administrators of this site to allow Christians a voice here.

I did do a few post in Totally Off Topic and the News forum,

but I'm restricting myself to the Lions Den. I don't even visit or read the other forums.

You say I'm blind.

I think I'm awake.

I don't expect anything.

The Lion's Den is a forum of this online community that allows Christians to post and

share their faith. I really appreciate the administrators of this site to allow Christians a voice here.

I did do a few post in Totally Off Topic and the News forum,

but I'm restricting myself to the Lions Den. I don't even visit or read the other forums.

You say I'm blind.

I think I'm awake.

You do expect something, you expect to be able to share your faith and to have a voice in an ex-xian community.

Why do you want to share your faith?  To proselytise to those who don't need or want to hear it.  It's fundamentally disrespectful.  Your own holy book says we shall know you by your fruit.  I don't recall reading about the character Jesus promoting disrespect.

What this choice of yours results in is you (rightly) being the target of ridicule and abuse, and lurkers (who probably include xians doubting their faith) being put off xianity further.

If that's what you want, keep doing what you're doing, but you have no right to complain to us about the way we treat you.

• Super Moderator

You are not answering my question.

Does your own medicine not taste good to you?

Ironhorse, you're the one who brought  up "cliches," so demanding to be shown one doesn't make much sense.

But here's what you folks sound like:

xtian: Jesus is awesome! Here's stuff you all heard years ago.

ex-c: We've heard all that. It's all based on taking the bible seriously, and we don't, because it's not possible.

xtian: Yes it is!

ex-c: No. Explain these contradictions. Explain why christians can't agree what it means. Explain why god seems so terrible in it.

xtian: I can't explain everything, but that doesn't lessen the truth of the bible.

ex-c: Except that it totally does. We just told you why we can't take the bible seriously. If you can't answer that, asserting it's truth is meaningless.

I don't have any idea what YOU claim is an ex-c cliche. But if you're tired of hearing, for example, that we don't think the bible is the reliable 'word of god' then provide some evidence to refute that. Otherwise, if you admit you can't, then quit trying to argue for an indefensible position.

• Like 4