Goodbye Jesus

Pic Speaks Eleventyzillion Words.

nivek

slaybutcher.jpg

kL

I'd tell ya to be careful what you post, bro; they might come lookin for ya.

But I pity the poor muslim terrorist that comes knockin on Nivek's door.

Makes ya wonder where this world's headed.

Slay! Behead! Butcher! Exterminate......!

......Because Islam is a religion of peace.

Islam is truly the gutter religion of the world. The sooner it dies out, the better off the world will be.

All over a cartoon too.

Silly angry men with their testosterone and brainwashed minds!

<dalek>"Exterminate... Exterminate..."</dalek>

What would Dr. Who do? :)

Violent Fundy Muslims have serious competition in their fundy christian brethern. From Westboro Baptist (see the photos below) to doctor murdering anti-choice christian nuts to this thinly veiled threat from a christian convention in Philadelphia in mid January...

The pastor of Greater Exodus Baptist Church, Reverend Herbert Lusk, told the audience at Justice Sunday III,

"I want to say, first of all, be careful how you fool with the church. You mess around with the church, something stirs up inside of me! You be careful because the church has surviving power. My friends, you know this and know this well. Don’t fool with the church because the church has buried many a critic, and all the critics that we have not buried, we’re making funeral arrangements for them!"

Westboro_1.jpg

Westboro_2.jpg

Westboro_3.jpg

Hell, at least they're smiling as they spew.

god loveth a cheerful prophet of doom.

Anyone who feels they must defend their god is assuming, by definition, that there god needs defending by a mere mortal.

What does that say about their god: stronger or weaker than humans?

The more humans that take up arms to defend their god, the greater the weakness that is evident of their god.

I rest my case.

<dalek>"Exterminate... Exterminate..."</dalek>

What would Dr. Who do? :)

He would find some interesting button to press.

The more humans that take up arms to defend their god, the greater the weakness that is evident of their god.

I rest my case.

Well-said.

I think what gets me most about all this is that so few people have come out to defend the artist's right to create those images in the first place.

I actually heard a person on NPR today say "Free speech is not obligated to offend religion."

Seriously, where the hell am I and what happened to the 21st century Earth we're supposed to be living in?

I actually heard a person on NPR today say "Free speech is not obligated to offend religion."
I was listening to NPR today also. It was early in the morning when they have that British dude (I don't know his name, but I like how he presents himself) interviewing some Muslim dude about the pictures and how everyone is in such an uproar about them.

The British dude actually came out and asked the guy, "If Islam is a religion of peace, then where were the protestors when live footage of beheadings were being seen all around the world?"

Muslim dude --> "Um um, thair wuss pdrotesting! But the Western ceeveelization doesn't want to show the pawseetive syeed of the Muslim community!"

(that wasn't exactly word-for-word, but you get the point. I like that British dude)

========================================

I don't know, Nivek. :scratch:

Is this picture from a trusted source?

Take a look at the dude with the camo hat at the bottom

right-hand side of the first sign.

slaybutcher.jpg

He looks a little Photoshoppy to me. :Hmm:

I was listening to NPR today also. It was early in the morning when they have that British dude (I don't know his name, but I like how he presents himself) interviewing some Muslim dude about the pictures and how everyone is in such an uproar about them.

The British dude actually came out and asked the guy, "If Islam is a religion of peace, then where were the protestors when live footage of beheadings were being seen all around the world?"

Muslim dude --> "Um um, thair wuss pdrotesting! But the Western ceeveelization doesn't want to show the pawseetive syeed of the Muslim community!"

(that wasn't exactly word-for-word, but you get the point. I like that British dude)

Is it any wonder I love public radio so?

Listening to a streaming of The World after getting home from work, I just heard a little while ago from reasonable muslims interviewed--mostly folks who grew up in the U.S. or Europe--that these protests and vandalisms really highlight many muslims' ignorance of free speech. Not to say these people weren't upset by the cartoons, but they understood that a true appreciation of free speech can only be had when you've defended the right of someone who's saying something highly offensive to you.

Is it any wonder I love public radio so?
Call me stupid (which I'm sure that you won't have any problem with), but would YOUR NPR in Utah be the same broadcast that I hear over here in Ohio?

If so, do you ever here that guy come on doing The Writer's Almanac segment each day? I know that I look forward to hearing it every morning on my way home from work. He just picks pieces of poetry or short stories (usually lasting maybe a minute or two) from various authors (most of which you've never heard of) and reads them on the air.

There's a lot of good stuff out there that doesn't quite get the credit it deserves, that's for sure.

I don't know, Nivek. :scratch:

Is this picture from a trusted source?

Take a look at the dude with the camo hat at the bottom

right-hand side of the first sign.

slaybutcher.jpg

He looks a little Photoshoppy to me. :Hmm:

I thought it looked fakey, too. I never know what to make of pix like this. But...I support freedom of speech.

Where is the pix originally from?

LMBO! :grin:

TaxesFreethinker can I quote you on that?

So they want to talk about slaying somebody, huh? Oooh, I'm scared. :Hmm:

I'd love for these guys to come over and start protesting in drug/crime/gang/every other kind of vice-infested South Memphis........and see if they make it out without a bullet up their ass.

LMBO! :grin:

TaxesFreethinker can I quote you on that?

of course you can :grin:

... a true appreciation of free speech can only be had when you've defended the right of someone who's saying something highly offensive to you.

Very true.

Many people seem to misunderstand the concept of freedom of speech. Either they think it applies only when the person speaking agrees with them, or they think it means anyone has the right to say anything without worrying about the consequences.

Freedom of speech (at least in the US) means you can say almost anything without fear of government interference or government-imposed punishment. What you can't legally say includes certain types of lies against private citizens, making threats of violence, crying "fire" in a crowded building, etc.

However, having freedom of speech doesn't mean that you can say anything you want without social consequences. I'm within my legal rights to say that homosexuals are disease-carrying mentally ill perverts who - according to god - deserve to be stoned to death. However, this doesn't mean that reasonable people have to be tolerant of me for saying this. They are within their rights to speak out against my beliefs, to boycott my business, to take me off their christmas card list, etc. In other words, they can use their full set of freedom of speech rights to condemn me for my beliefs and can punish me socially in any legal way at their disposal. NOTE - that does not include using threats of violence.

I think we have to do both. We must defend the right of a person to say things we find vile and offensive AND concurrenlty use our own freedom of speech rights to loudly and strongly condemn the person who says these vile and offensive things.

It's very photoshoppy. Even in this thumbnail, blow it up to 400% and it's not only photoshoppy, it's bad photoshoppy.

slaybutcher.jpg

Disgusting. Yet I fear that's pretty much the normal reaction of a cult of monotheist madmen pushed with its back against the wall. What would those "christians" do if they'd get a series of arse-kickings by them ebil unbelievers? :scratch:

The (few I admit) muslims I got to know personally were perfectly okay, with their refusal to eat pig et cetera being pretty much the weirdest things about them. To honor them, I have to point out that not all muslims are as nuts as these ones in the image.

But fundies must be fought and punished, no matter of what cult they are.

That photo does indeed look Photoshopped, though there have been lots of protests over the cartoons, so part of it might be real. I haven't been following the story much, ignernt me. :Doh:

Those other photos must be of the Phelps crew doing their thing. I couldn't believe it when I first heard of them protesting at a soldier's funeral. I'm against the war but the last thing I'd do is show up at a soldier's funeral and say that they died because buybul gawd is punishing the US for being in the war. Sigh. They have the right to do it and I have the right to express my disgust and call them stupid idiots! :stop::vent::ugh:

I think we have to do both. We must defend the right of a person to say things we find vile and offensive AND concurrenlty use our own freedom of speech rights to loudly and strongly condemn the person who says these vile and offensive things.

Well said, and I agree completely.

I wonder, though, if fear of violent retaliation isn't at work in silencing the second set of persons; and what sort of freedom of speech do citizens have if only the first set of persons feels free to speak without fear of being hacked to death in broad daylight like that filmmaker descendant of Van Gogh?