Goodbye Jesus

Witnessing On The Exchristian Site

Seabiscuit

OK, I'm still new to the site. Last night I was reading a thread about the fear of hell. When, guess what, a christian broke in and started witnessing. Wouldn't shut up, in fact. The rules are pretty clear here.

So what happens to a "sheep" who come into our site in disguised as a "wolf?" Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE being on the wolf side of all this!

Can their long winded preaching be removed?

Before I post this, I'm taking a moment to really rant! How dare "they" come into a place where their preaching is clearly not welcomed! I'm angry because I've had to sit through endless sermons, endless parental lectures, and endless, yet, friendly advice from church friends. I've had enough! If after 38 years, I've decided its all a fairly tale, then I don't want to hear it any more. I'm sick of listening--and to the same stuff again and again.

Ranting on...I hate the xian lanuage. I try to be nice and polite. Being NICE in fact so I don't hurt feelings! I'm sick of listening, listening, listening.

The next time I meet a family member who wants to tell me how jesus changed their life that day or about the wonder of faith and love, I'm saying, "I don't discuss religion with anyone and I don't want to hear about your religion." So I end up with no family. At the moment, I don't give a DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMN!

I'm building my religious boundaries over again. I'm making them out of steel and brick. The little white picket fence just doesn't work! :twitch:

I come to this site because its a safe place to say unspeakable things. After said unspeakable things are in front of me on the screen, the words become real, speakable, and my personal truth. I recognize many of you now and treasure what you have to say no matter what your belief strucutre may be. I enjoy so many new ideas so many wise people.

To end my ranting, I have this question with a very obvious answer, "Why can't christians stay away from this board?" Don't answer it! I already know the answer--just had to ask the question.

Done ranting! Thanks! :woohoo:

I understand where you're coming from, though Christians can try & witness all they want, as long as it's not in areas like Testimonials or ex-Christian life. Those are obviously areas for ex-Christians to work things out without interruption & witnessing should not be tolerated there.

With you all the way on that one.

I recently had to put up with one of the local Jesus freaks here,

not in the forums but in response to my original letter to the editor (webmaster)

which lead to me becoming a regular member here.

If you want to soak it all in, here it is.

I started out as "Atheist99" and posted a couple times as "anonymous" and then as Greg-FNA.

(Just couldn't seem to get my account to take on that page).

http://exchristian.net/letters/2006/02/say...-christian.html

The fellow trying to shine the light of christ on me goes by "pault".

Can't miss 'em. :Doh:

-FNA

What site were you on where this urchin was trying to witness? Bring it on... is my motto. I trip them up on their own bible all the time.

It was the Hell thread happening over in Ex-Christian Life Forum. No worries, Loren and Nivek handled the matter.

I think the offending posts that started the uproar are still there though, some talk about wondering if they can be removed.

Am I one of the few? I love it when fundy's come on to this site because I learn so much.

Reading the debates and participating in them has strenghthened my deconversion. I realize all the more what a bunch of bull Fundy's spout is and how warped the mindset is.

I don't think one person has reconverted back to Christianity because of them, but I do know that I don't ever want to be a Christian again, all the more, because of them.

Taph

I come to this site because its a safe place to say unspeakable things. After said unspeakable things are in front of me on the screen, the words become real, speakable, and my personal truth. I recognize many of you now and treasure what you have to say no matter what your belief strucutre may be. I enjoy so many new ideas so many wise people.

To end my ranting, I have this question with a very obvious answer, "Why can't christians stay away from this board?" Don't answer it! I already know the answer--just had to ask the question.

Done ranting! Thanks! :woohoo:

Seabiscuit ... I normally wouldn't "come out" like this. But, the information does relate to your question.

I am Christian and the minute I saw those posts I PMd the moderator and webmaster and asked that something be done. I was as frustrated as you - and many others were. :shrug:

I have no problem with christians in our forums. As far as I'm concerned, they can be as preachy as they like in the Lion's Den (as long as I can say whatever I like in return :pureevil: ).

As for the Testimones, and Ex-Christian Life, I don't mind christians there either, as long as they are sympathetic and don't point fingers, I don't have a problem at all. But some jackoff coming in and telling everyone off in christian-ese is deserving of a swift kick in the hemorrhoids.

I'm sorry I missed all the fun. Apparently, the witness for Jesus commented right after one of mine and quoted me, but his stuff was deleted before I had a chance to see it. No great loss, I suspect. Loren and Nivek handled it coorectly; no reason the original poster should have to put up with that stuff.

One would expect a religious person to at least TRY to be a good ambassador for his faith and observe the bounds of site decorum and common decency. Jacob's Ladder either lacked wisdom or tact with his massive intrusion.

I don't mind the Xians coming around here, and going back and forth with them can be fun. But it's their zombie-like devotion to a religion of cruelty and absurdity that helps me, too, to stay away from their cult. I simply don't want to be a zombie anymore.

I don't mind the Xians coming around here, and going back and forth with them can be fun. But it's their zombie-like devotion to a religion of cruelty and absurdity that helps me, too, to stay away from their cult. I simply don't want to be a zombie anymore.

there are zombies everywhere. its really ashame they often don't practice what they preach. my motto is put up or shut up... or was it put out or get out. either way, xians - on the whole - fall grossly short of both...

Hey now... it kinda ticks me off when you guys delete the offending posts before I get a chance to read them. ;)

They're entertainment for me.

But seriously, I'm glad Rosa doesn't have to read them.

It botherd me to, that's why I posted the Bullshit Pix to him..

One would expect a religious person to at least TRY to be a good ambassador for his faith and observe the bounds of site decorum and common decency. Jacob's Ladder either lacked wisdom or tact with his massive intrusion.
Just to give you an idea of the audacity that this fundy portrayed, once he was called out on preaching in the testimony section and instructed that if he is to post there it is to be in support of ExChristians, he came right out and said that, biblically speaking, it is impossible to say anything that is in support of ExChristians which automatically gives him the right to post as he pleases.

So yes, he took a nice healthy dump in there.

It botherd me to, that's why I posted the Bullshit Pix to him..

Which I LOVED!!!

I've been thinking more about why witnessing bothers me so much. I can understand why some of you like the challenge.

For me its different. My experiences with fundemental christians has taught me that that group isn't harmless. I remember when I was a kid, I'd watch my dad's face intently waiting for him to get a word from the lord on what he should do. The lord told him and my mother many things even frigthening things like to go through with a beating. (OK, they called it spanking, but it wasn't.)

I'm struggling because you're suppose to get over this stuff. But I'm having a hard time getting over some being, which I never saw, telling my parents to hit me until my will was broken. God told them other stuff that would turn out to have made my life harder then it was.

For me listening to xians talk isn't challenging or fun. Its frightening. The xian people I knew would actually carry out the "big guys" wishes. I believe my father loves me and we're trying to patch up our relationship. He is sorry he hit me. But when I was young, I believe without a doubt that my father would have killed me if he heard god tell him to. I believe that anyone of the adults in the church would have caused me harm if god told them to.

Xianity is scarry to me--not challenging. I want so badly to rid my world of xianity--even the folks who wouldn't do such things like beating children or killing folks in the name of god. I just can't seem to find a middle ground where I'm ok with it.

I know life doesn't revolve around me and xianity is something I'll have to deal with it. But that's why I came here to this board. So I could vent, think, discover, and heal.

Someday, I may enjoy the challenge of xanity talk--but not now.

The main reason I don't like witnessing is because it shows absolutely no respect for who the other person is.

And I agree that it's scary. This cult has taken over the world (at least, most of it), and everyone is expected to believe in it or at least be politically correct to those who do, and those who aren't are treated like crap for their beliefs.

I don't mind cool Christians who don't feel the need to constantly witness. I really don't. But those who do are just not showing any respect for other people. They're arrogant.

The main reason I don't like witnessing is because it shows absolutely no respect for who the other person is.

And I agree that it's scary. This cult has taken over the world (at least, most of it), and everyone is expected to believe in it or at least be politically correct to those who do, and those who aren't are treated like crap for their beliefs.

I don't mind cool Christians who don't feel the need to constantly witness. I really don't. But those who do are just not showing any respect for other people. They're arrogant.

They are generally not witnessing for the other person -- they are trying to convince themselves they are good xtians and that their beliefs have validity in a world that tells them everything to the contrary. Sad that they feel the need to pontificate in order to have a warm fuzzy feeling about their faith. If one is really staunch in their beliefs, they don't feel the need to do this to others. I am sure they would not like it if a Satanist were to witness to them.

I guess that Do unto others thing only is good for certain things and not for others. :49:

They are generally not witnessing for the other person -- they are trying to convince themselves they are good xtians and that their beliefs have validity in a world that tells them everything to the contrary.

I'm very much in agreement with that.

They have such a tenuous hold on their faith, because it's all based on outlandish myths, that they have to reach for everything they can. And getting strength in numbers is an easy way to help convince yourself that the myths are real.

I actually feel sorry for fundamentalists.

They have to deny every single thing that makes them what we all are...Human.

I slowly feel myself leaving the Christian faith everyday, and I honestly think I am a better person for it.

Unfortunately, where I live and goto school I am SURROUNDED and IMMERSED in Christianity...which makes it a bit hard to appreciate the broadening of my mind. But I'll get there.

I actually feel sorry for fundamentalists.

They have to deny every single thing that makes them what we all are...Human.

I slowly feel myself leaving the Christian faith everyday, and I honestly think I am a better person for it.

Unfortunately, where I live and goto school I am SURROUNDED and IMMERSED in Christianity...which makes it a bit hard to appreciate the broadening of my mind. But I'll get there.

My heart goes out to you LMR. That's got to be tough being surrounded and immersed. Sometimes, like the day I posted this, I feel like putting my hands over my ears and screaming, "Leave me alone!"

I've stayed away from my family because I just need a vacation from how the lord is working in their lives.

Losing my religion is a daily process just like yours. My husband wants to know why I can't just give it up--like that--poof! When they start on you (me) so young, its impossible to just walk. Maybe that means that whatever I find out there after my deconversion, I will be equally as strong because I took the time to think it all through. Perhaps--we'll see.

I couldn't agree with you more, Amethyst!

I went to a funeral today at a christian church. I didn't know the guy very well, but his wife and family were super torn up. The entire program was hymns and scripture verses about how great god was. I think I heard the word, "Mercy" sixty times. The service felt so cold to me. I wanted to hear stories about who the guy was and what he meant to everyone he left behind. I hope his wife felt comforted by the cold service.

Religon takes the humaness out of humanity. So, maybe there is a god; the wife will sleep alone tonight and everyother night without him. How is a scripture verse suppose to help her? I'm being very subjective here, I know. Perhaps if I were back there in that frame of thinking, I'd have found the service comforting.

s

I went to a funeral today at a christian church. I didn't know the guy very well, but his wife and family were super torn up. The entire program was hymns and scripture verses about how great god was. I think I heard the word, "Mercy" sixty times. The service felt so cold to me. I wanted to hear stories about who the guy was and what he meant to everyone he left behind. I hope his wife felt comforted by the cold service.

Religon takes the humaness out of humanity. So, maybe there is a god; the wife will sleep alone tonight and everyother night without him. How is a scripture verse suppose to help her? I'm being very subjective here, I know. Perhaps if I were back there in that frame of thinking, I'd have found the service comforting.

s

Ugh - I am sorry you had to endure such a rotten experience. There's nothing quite like going to a Xian funeral service, no matter what the sect; it's all about God-this and God-that, and next to nothing about the person who died. It's like even a funeral has to be a propagandizing event advertising Jesus™ - the dead cannot even be memorialized in a natural and proper way without Jesus™ being stuck in there every five words.

I know that when my time comes to eulogize my loved ones, even though they will be Xian services I will not waste one word on their god and his so-called "will" and "plan". I will speak only of the fallen and uplift his or her memory, not praise some god that does not exist to further expand a cult that should not exist.

Seabiscuit, because of the bad manners of some of our Christian members, like Jacob's Ladder, expressed by posting sermons in the Ex-Christian Life forum (where a post of this nature is clearly unwelcome), we have seen fit to change the board permissions so that Christians of this ilk will no longer be allowed to post in that forum. We already had this rule applied to the Testimony forum.

We were happy to delete this particular preaching post by Jacob's Ladder, which exceeded 10,000 words.

Now I have a question: Are Christians born so obnoxious, oblivious and obtuse or does Christianity make them that way?

Now I have a question: Are Christians born so obnoxious, oblivious and obtuse or does Christianity make them that way?

All of the above... Xians are born obnoxious, oblivious and obtuse -- but Xianity just drives the dagger home. If they weren't warriors of god, where would they be? Selling used cars. See what I mean?