Goodbye Jesus

Joyce Meyer...

jrmarlin

I am interested to hear everyone's take on Joyce Meyer. I watched a snippet of her show the other day and is it me, or is she one of the most assinine people ever to walk this planet?

I managed a band who (three of the four) worked for her. I was serverely ripped off by them and I wondered if her "church" teaches people to be dishonest and not pay their debts to others.

Just curious if anyone knows the 411 on her and what her deal is with Xianity... is she really xian to begin with? etc.

I heard from the guys in the band that she is extremely rich. Does this shock anyone?

Here's how interesting she is to me:

Who?

If I have heard about her I've certainly forgotten about her just as quickly.

Oh man, when I was a xian, I watched her quite a few times. She is always in really flashy, looky-at-me clothes that could blind you if there was a lot of light...makes one wonder where all the money is going? Hmmmmmmm

One time I remember her preaching about attitudes. She was saying how women use the excuse of PMS (Pretty mean sister) to have an attitude...that it was all in the mind... yeah, ok?

I remember another time she had a rubber chicken in her hand......... if only I could remember, WHY?

She is an odd one, that is for sure.....

Ah, yes, dae Joyce Meyers. Her compound is less than five minutes away from my house; in fact, I can see it from the top of my hill. It's a huge brick-and-glass behemoth of a structure with the whole maincured-grounds-with-trimmed-shrubbery thing. She's got a bunch of different-colored flags near the entrance (not country or national flags, just like Six Flags flags), but I've never been beyond that - I think she has the place pretty well guarded.

I don't really mind big buildings with shrubbery all that much - okay, I do if it's a new building, just rent an older one and stop taking up more Earth space, dammit. It's just that she does love a buck. She also has a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE stone crucifix standing on the edge of this cut-off hill nearby. It's kind of difficult to see from here but if I go around the side of the grocery store parking lot I can see it perfectly. Honestly, the thing's size cannot be adequately described.

She loves the makeup and jewelry and dresses and is perfectly tasteless in her selection of such, and always begs for money on television, where the settings she'll be in are alternately her beautiful enormous mansion garden, or a gaudy too-much-gold set with ugly "luxury" chairs that might be very comfortable, but are hideous to look at.

Her fortress on the hill is actually pretty silent around here. She doesn't interfere in village (pop. 4.023) affairs, which is nice. I don't know if she's actually in the complex often or not; I never see her, and I don't know anybody who works there - albeit I don't know anybody around here in bloody fucking awful Fenton, MO anyway. I assume her complex has a parking lot but it must be far up on her hill because I've never seen it, and thus cannot tell how many people work there or how nice their cars are.

However, there's a place in the next pigshit town over called the Geospatial Intelligence Agency, and it has two electric ten-foot fences around it with razor wire at the top, and is housed in a big shiny white building with signs clearly indicating absolutely NO tresspassing under the penalty of severe lawful ass-kicking. Now THAT place really piques my interest.

Any body got a picture of this chick?

Kinda like to know who you're talking about

Any body got a picture of this chick?

Kinda like to know who you're talking about

joyce_meyer_pastor.jpg photojoycemeyerheadshot_ezr1.jpg

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

LOL good pic of her there Brother Jeff!

Here is the link to her ministry to get to know more of what she is about... I know that she is really into that "name it and claim it" jazz.... gee, god, the almighty, the glorified bell boy.

Anyway, here is the link.

http://www.joycemeyer.org/cgi-bin/home.plx...v&section_id=NA

I used to watch her when I had my little fundy experiment. She really resonates with a fundy zombie mentality, but of course is nuttier than a can of Planters when you look at from the outside. She's a typical Babble-thumping, pushy evangelical, using her tough-chick attitude to forcefully sell Jesus™; if you listen to someone like her preach, you get the impression that you're taking charge of your life and getting down to brass tacks when you become Xian, and Xianity is the ultimate no-nonsense, practical way of life. It's a good Jedi mind trick, and works with those seeking answers but not knowing a heck of a lot to begin with, but in the end it flops, just like all Xian propaganda.

That, and anyone knows that some so-called humble and poverty-glorifying Xian who lives in a huge-ass compound with a mega-crucifix that no rank-and-file Xian could ever afford is nothing more than a hypocrite, and clearly also milking their cult for the bucks.

I never supported Joyce, but I was a big Kenneth Copeland fan - at one point we were giving 10% of our GROSS income to his ministry.............

:Doh:

Ugh...I could have gone for years without hearing THAT name. She is my ex-wife's GOD. Of course, she would tell you that she's just an "anointed woman of GAWD" whom she admires and respects, but my ex really wants to BE Joyce Meyer. If you ever watch her program, just notice her husband. If he's not a eunuch, I don't know who is. I feel sorry for the henpecked, subservient, ego castrated fuck. But there for the grace of GAWD go I! :ugh:

I still watch her show on TBN... I can't get enough of her.

Between her, Benny Hinn, and Creflo Dollar, who needs comedy on TV?

Well, the shitheads in the band were really pissed after they moved from St. Louis (they moved back 3 months later because they couldn't handle the sin of having a manager who didn't buy their bullshit and they were dropped) because they thought for sure that Joycie and her son (who is the president of her church "corporation") would send them a big fat check. They were expecting over a grand -- and instead they got a nice little letter wishing them "luck."

One guy was really pissed because he worked for her for 10 years and that was all he got -- even though Joycie preaches to her "workers" that they are a family. He thought for sure she would "show him the money."

The band has since broken up due to their own impotence and lack of any drive -- but I must note, I do not know if the assholes went back to work for her again -- but they were pretty pissed when she didn't send cash when they moved.

I just died laughing as I thought it was hilarious. As if any religious leader really ever SENDS their OWN cash -- hard earned by their congrugation -- especially to a "Sinning" rock band that had the audacity to give a month's notice when they quit. (Yes, she got pissed about a month's notice... even though most bands I know, when they move they are vigilant about quitting their jobs... like a whole whopping two hour notice.

Oh well... So much for religion, eh?

Sidebar: I think she was pissed because she sent them to learn "Powertools" and they were supposed to stay for 5 years to pay for their classes thru their work for Gawd. They broke their deal. Such dramare....... :rolleyes:

Ooooh, I used to watch Joyce Meyers. I had been dissatisfied with my own church for awhile, and was searching around for "something more"...and thought I found it when I ran across her show. She came to my city once and I was able to attend. No entrance fee, but she got her share of money from me through the offerings and at the tape tables. I think I also used to send in offerings for her TV show. :Doh: *kicks self* I agree with Wolfheart, who said "you get the impression that you're taking charge of your life and getting down to brass tacks when you become Xian, and Xianity is the ultimate no-nonsense, practical way of life. It's a good Jedi mind trick, and works with those seeking answers but not knowing a heck of a lot to begin with, but in the end it flops, just like all Xian propaganda". A perfect analysis of Joyce Meyer's ministry! You feel like you are taking control (with the help of Jesus, of course), when really you are under her mindspell.

I thought it wasn't too long ago that she got in trouble for how she used her ministry funds--most of the ministry board is family members, and she used the ministries money to repair/update and in general "pimp" up her and her childrens homes, all of which are located together in their own little neighborhood complex. (Kind of their own compound?) Might have been some IRS trouble in there too.

I never supported Joyce, but I was a big Kenneth Copeland fan - at one point we were giving 10% of our GROSS income to his ministry.............

Don't get me started on THAT dipshit. I listened to him too. My ex loved Gloria as well. Bought some series of Creationist videos from some IDIOT he had on his show. But that's fodder for another topic. :Hmm:

He's another one of those televangelists that are on the fringe of mainstream Xianity. Some of them LOVE him, some think he's a loon. I remember a big stink because he said that GAWD looks just like us...about 6'2", 220 lbs, blah blah blah. And some Xians got MAD!!! "That's not MY magic skyman!" :Doh:

He's another one of those televangelists that are on the fringe of mainstream Xianity. Some of them LOVE him, some think he's a loon. I remember a big stink because he said that GAWD looks just like us...about 6'2", 220 lbs, blah blah blah. And some Xians got MAD!!! "That's not MY magic skyman!" :Doh:

The things that attracted us to their ministry were his low-key approach to fund-raising, his seemingly genuine interest in teaching, and his folksy style. We even attended one of the motorcycle rallies he held at his ministry headquarters, long before we ever owned motorcycles! We saw Mylon LeFevre sing there. Pleasant memories overall.

The things that attracted us to their ministry were his low-key approach to fund-raising, his seemingly genuine interest in teaching, and his folksy style. We even attended one of the motorcycle rallies he held at his ministry headquarters, long before we ever owned motorcycles! We saw Mylon LeFevre sing there. Pleasant memories overall.

Yes, I do recall him being very down to earth. He still had the typical not a hair out of place fundie preacher do, but he didn't go for the glitz and glam like that puke Paul Crouch on TBN. He wore a button down and jeans a lot of the time on his show. He certainly was a "good ol' boy."

God...Mylon Lefevre and Brokenheart...I haven't heard that name in YEARS. Vaguely remember seeing them at some "JesusFest" or something in Orlando back in the early 80's. It was a yearly Xian "Woodstock" type of thing. We'd camp out for three days going to concerts and sermons. Fond memories there. Pretty much of just being a kid. Oh if I had it all to do over again...

Joyce Meyers…

Thanks to the photo that was posted I know that I have seen her on TV but I did not know her name. If I was still a Christian I think I would have been attracted to her “message.” She does come across as a strong and practical type of Christian; I think that would have appealed to me.

Question…

For those of you over the age of 35, doesn’t Joyce Meyers remind you of Josephine the Plumber from those old Comet commercials? :shrug: Her voice is just the same.

IBF

My current girlfriend ( self proclaimed atheist ) likes watching Joyce Meyer for the comedic value too. She was a lucky one. She has never been truly exposed to Xianity. She married a catholic, but he wasn't a very devout one so they never went to church. She just can't understand what the hell the dumb bitch (Meyer) is talking about and finds it humorous. :shrug: Just makes me want to vomit.

I thought it wasn't too long ago that she got in trouble for how she used her ministry funds--most of the ministry board is family members, and she used the ministries money to repair/update and in general "pimp" up her and her childrens homes, all of which are located together in their own little neighborhood complex. (Kind of their own compound?) Might have been some IRS trouble in there too.

Oh yeah, my dad mentioned that to me when we were staring at the huge complex on the hill once. There was some problem with the IRS and not paying taxes. And yeah, all of her kids have these five million dollar homes all close to hers in the same neighborhood. I think she may have had the whole area custom-made, just as God intended.

I'll try to get some pics of the complex. The cross is just enormous.

I'll try to get some pics of the complex. The cross is just enormous.

:lol:

Perhaps she hangs herself on it when she wants to drive that persecution card home with her congrugation.

Does she have an actual church or is she a boob-tube hound only?

Joyce Meyer from Televangelists Lifestyles or Lifestyles of the Rich and Infamous

The ministry's headquarters is a three-story jewel of red brick and emerald-color glass that, from the outside, has the look and feel of a luxury resort hotel. Built two years ago for $20 million, the building and grounds are postcard perfect, from manicured flower beds and walkways to a five-story lighted cross.

The driveway to the office complex is lined on both sides with the flags of dozens of nations reached by the ministry. A large bronze sculpture of the Earth sits atop an open Bible near the parking lot. Just outside the main entrance, a sculpture of an American eagle landing on a tree branch stands near a man-made waterfall. A message in gold letters greets employees and visitors over the front entryway: "Look what the Lord Has Done."

The building is decorated with religious paintings and sculptures, and quality furniture. Much of it, Meyer says, she selected herself.

A Jefferson County assessor's list offers a glimpse into the value of many of the items: a $19,000 pair of Dresden vases, six French crystal vases bought for $18,500, an $8,000 Dresden porcelain depicting the Nativity, two $5,800 curio cabinets, a $5,700 porcelain of the Crucifixion, a pair of German porcelain vases bought for $5,200.

The decor includes a $30,000 malachite round table, a $23,000 marble-topped antique commode, a $14,000 custom office bookcase, a $7,000 Stations of the Cross in Dresden porcelain, a $6,300 eagle sculpture on a pedestal, another eagle made of silver bought for $5,000, and numerous paintings purchased for $1,000 to $4,000 each.

Inside Meyer's private office suite sit a conference table and 18 chairs bought for $49,000. The woodwork in the offices of Meyer and her husband cost the ministry $44,000.

In all, assessor's records of the ministry's personal property show that nearly $5.7 million worth of furniture, artwork, glassware, and the latest equipment and machinery fill the 158,000-square-foot building.

As of this summer, the ministry also owned a fleet of vehicles with an estimated value of $440,000. The Jefferson County assessor has been trying to get the complex and its contents added to the tax rolls but has failed.

Stylish sports cars and a plane

Meyer drives the ministry's 2002 Lexus SC sports car with a retractable top, valued at $53,000. Her son Dan, 25, drives the ministry's 2001 Lexus sedan, with a value of $46,000. Meyer's husband drives his Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG sedan. "My husband just likes cars," Meyer said.

The Meyers keep the ministry's Canadair CL-600 Challenger jet, which Joyce Meyer says is worth $10 million, at Spirit of St. Louis Airport in Chesterfield. The ministry employs two full-time pilots to fly the Meyers to conferences around the world.

Meyer calls the plane a "lifesaver" for her and her family. "It enabled us, at our age, to travel literally all over the world and preach the gospel" with better security than that offered on commercial flights, she said.

Security is important to Meyer, who says she has received death threats. She has a division of the ministry dedicated to her safety. Her officers wear pistols; they guard the headquarters' front gate, keeping out anyone but employees and invited guests. The ministry bought a $145,000 house where the security chief lives rent-free to keep him close to the ministry's headquarters.

The family compound

The ministry has also bought homes for other key employees.

Since 1999, the ministry has spent at least $4 million on five homes for Meyer and her four children near Interstate 270 and Gravois Road, St. Louis County records show.

Meyer's house, the largest of the five, is a 10,000-square-foot Cape Cod style estate home with a guest house and a garage that can be independently heated and cooled and can hold up to eight cars. The three-acre property has a large fountain, a gazebo, a private putting green, a pool and a poolhouse where the ministry recently added a $10,000 bathroom.

The ministry pays for utilities, maintenance and landscaping costs at all five homes. It also pays for renovations. The Meyers ordered major rehab work at the ministry's expense right after the ministry bought three of the homes. For example, the ministry bought one home, leveled it and then built a new home on the site to the specifications of Meyer's daughter Sandra and her husband, county records show.

Even the property taxes, $15, 629 this year, are paid by the ministry.

Meyer called the homes a "good investment" for the ministry and said the ministry bears the cost of upkeep and maintenance because the family is too busy to take care of such tasks. "It's just too hard to keep up with something like that when you travel as much as we do," Meyer said.

She said that federal tax law allows ministries to buy parsonages for their employees, so the arrangement does not violate any prohibitions against personal benefit. Meyer also said the decision to cluster the families together was a way to build a buffer to better ensure privacy and security.

"We put good people all around us," she said. "Obviously, if I was trying to hide anything or thought I was doing anything wrong, I wouldn't live on the corner of Gravois and 270." {INDEX}

The irrevocable trust

Meyer says she expects the best, from where she lives to how she looks. Much of her clothing is custom-tailored at an upscale West County dress shop. At her conferences, she usually wears flashy jewelry. She sports an impressive diamond ring that she said she got from one of her followers. Meyer has a private hairdresser. And, a few years ago, Meyer told her employees she was getting a face-lift.

Not everything is paid directly by the ministry.

Last year, the Meyers bought a $500,000 atrium ranch lakefront home in Porto Cima, a private-quarters club at Lake of the Ozarks. A few weeks later, they bought two watercrafts similar to Jet Skis and a $105,000 Crownline boat painted red, white and blue that they named the Patriot.

In 2000, the Meyers also bought her parents a $130,000 home just a few minutes from where the Meyers live.

The Meyers have put the Mercedes, the lake house, the boat and her parents' home into an irrevocable trust, an arrangement that tax experts say would help protect them from any financial problems at the minisry.

Meyer says she should not have to defend how she spends the ministry's money. "We teach and preach and believe biblically that God wants to bless people who serve Him," Meyer said. "So there's no need for us to apologize for being blessed."

Meyer's "trusted" board

For the most part, Meyer can spend the ministry's money any way she sees fit because her board of directors is handpicked. It consists of Meyer, her husband and all four of her children — all paid workers — as well as six of Meyer's closest friends. (Ministry officials said that daughter Laura Holtzmann has now resigned; state records still list her on the board.) "Our family is a huge help to us," Meyer said. "We couldn't do this if we didn't have somebody we trusted."

Board members Roxane and Paul Schermann are such close friends that for more than a decade they lived in the Meyers' home. The ministry employed both of them as high-level managers and in 2001 bought them a $334,000 home. Roxane Schermann no longer works at the ministry; her husband continues as a paid division manager. The Schermanns bought the house at the same price from the ministry in January. Delanie Trusty, the ministry's certified public accountant, also serves as the ministry board's secretary.

The board decides how the ministry's money is spent. The salaries of Meyer and her family are set by those board members who are not family members and are not employed by the ministry, Meyer's lawyer said. The arrangement meets IRS regulations, the lawyer said.

"We certainly wouldn't have enemies and people we don't know" on the board, Meyer said. "That wouldn't make any sense. Anybody who has a board is going to have people in favor of you."

Meyer and her ministry refuse to tell how much the ministry pays Meyer, her husband, her children and her children's spouses. "I don't make any more than I'm worth," Meyer said. "We're definitely within IRS guidelines."

Such an overlap between top administrators and board members concerns the IRS because "the opportunity to manipulate and control the organization is easier to accomplish," said Bruce Philipson of St. Paul, Minn., the IRS group manager of tax-exempt organizations for this region. (Carolyn Tuft and Bill Smith St. Louis Post-Dispatch 11/15/2003)

Guest Harcort Mudd

The St. Louis Post Dispatch did a series of articles on her a year or two. I don't know if they are still available on their website. Needless Joyce Meyers didn't like them.

:lol:

Perhaps she hangs herself on it when she wants to drive that persecution card home with her congrugation.

Does she have an actual church or is she a boob-tube hound only?

I believe she is boob-tube only, though she claims to attend someone's church. Apparently she doesn't believe it is "biblical" for a woman to be a pastor. And why should she? She's raking in cash hand over fist using her "Prosperity Gospel" methods! Apparently making money IS "biblical."

Oh, wait..."For the love of money is the root of all evil," thus sayeth St. Paul.

Ah, fuck him, he's dead anyway! :wicked:

Whew, I vaguely remember seeing her on TV.

All those fancy things - furniture, cars, jewelry, hoowee. Of course, hearing about a $130,000 home or even a $334,000 home doesn't mean much to a resident of expensive Kahleefornia, where I can't even buy a shed for that little. I could easily sell my 60-year-old, two bedroom one bath fixer for over $500,000. I guess she doesn't pay attention to the verse "lay up your treasures in heaven" and certainly hasn't learned anything from Jim Bakker (or Imelda Marcos, for that matter).