Goodbye Jesus

Thank God

dustmouse

I find myself automatically saying, or thinking 'Thank God' in some situations... or if I can't find something, the auto response is 'Oh Please, God..', or if something goes dreadfully wrong, 'Dear God, No!'....

Do/Did any of the rest of you find this automated response when you deconverted?

And if so, how did you work through it?

Thanks!

I remember trying to kick the use of "thank god" replacing the 'g' word with things like "thank<the stars (bewitched)" Thank Harry" Thank Zeus" LOL anythiing but god.

It didn't last though, I found it drew too much attention and figured that god was a generic term to me anyway.

I don't say "Jesus Christ" though it's not as generic for me I usually rely on good old swearing such as "oh fuck me!" ... that can also be a great party starter (j/k :ohmy: )

PR

I always say "Oh God" and one of my favorite profanities is "Jesus Christ!" But I've come to realize that I use it in kinda a secular way, just as another accepted profanity. In fact, I wrote a character who was considered demonic by Christians (she was jus another person) and her favorite profanity was "Oh Christ." Kinda weird.

"Jebusfuckmooseballs" works for me..

Gets and garners some awesome looks from those around me.. :)

n

n

I'm adding this to my vocabulary nivek.

It's too cute! :woohoo:

PR

I automatically made the sign of the cross and folded my hands last night when my dad was saying a prayer before we had our Mother's Day dinner. Didn't realize what I was doing until I saw my folded hands in front of me. Wonder if anyone else noticed.

My thinking/talking at God fell away pretty quickly. After I realized I was talking to nobody, I directed my thoughts at myself. (Does that indicate an illness? :HaHa: )

As for the swearing and cursing that other people have mentioned, I never did it much as a Christian. I do it now whenever I find occasion. :grin:

The whole God fantasy maters so little to me anymore that I don’t bother trying to censor my speech.

I mean I still say Sunrise and Sunset even though I know it’s the earth that’s moving. It’s just an artifact of the language and nothing more.

I used to beat myself up over going to Christmas concerts and worry about how I was compromising my principals. Then a friend pointed out that I had no problem going to see a group of Buddhist chanters when they were in town. I’d be the first to go see an enactment of some obscure Pagan rite. They’re all just interesting cultural items, nothing more.

I do, too. I've been trying to change it to "thank goodness", but old habits die hard.

I hear you! I had the habit myself.

Upon my deconversion, I immediately switched to saying, "Thank nobody." Sometimes, I say, "Thank my mind." :)

I usually say "thank Darwin" or "Oh my D" or "Groanbarks"*

*Means "Barking at different people and sex" for fundies. I invented this word, last year.

I say "Oh god", "For god's sake", "God dammit", "Jesus Christ" - but purely because those are the words I learnt to say in the situations that I use them. They have no religious/spiritual connotation, and I'd feel stupid if I tried to conciously stop using them - it'd be as if I'm admitting that there is a god that I am trying to stop referring to.

I find the terms 'good lord', ' good christ', 'Jesus Christ', 'Oh lord', and 'good god' are all well in sync with my way of speaking, and they get the point across quite well, so I have no real desire to stop saying them.

I've just always said things like that because that's what I grew up hearing (I was never a Christian to begin with, really). I'm slowly replacing things like "God" with "Primus" and using Transformer catchphrases. And sometimes I'll use oaths from other sources as well. (shrugs)

As a christian I treated phrases like 'thank god' or 'oh my god' as using the name of the lord in vain. So I usually said 'oh man' or 'thank goodness'.

I have added 'god dammit' and 'jesus christ' to my vocabulary as swears over the last couple years. It still makes me feel weird to say JC but I do it out of spite. hehe.

n

:lmao: Well Nivek, you know what they say about great minds... :scratch:

A lot of times I say, "Jesusfrickin'christnuts!" :lmao:

My current expressions of relief are "Thank the gods" or "Thank goodness." If it isn't just a spur-of-the-moment exclamation I occasionally give credit to a specific being if one comes to mind.

But I think "Damn!" or "Jesus Murphy!" are permanently stuck in my vocabulary.

Do/Did any of the rest of you find this automated response when you deconverted?

And if so, how did you work through it?

Every now and then I'm close to saying that, yes. Of course, for one who is merely a non-christian (believer) instead of a full-blown atheist, there is - I think - some less change to perform if you want to get rid of that annoying phrase. I usually just say "Praised be the High Gods" now instead of "Thank gawd".

Not that I'd really try to change my habits where those sayings are concerned, but something deep inside me feels that it's dishonest to keep referring to a deity that is so obviously false. :fdevil:

Guest JP1283

I always say "Thank God." It's just an automatic thing. I also say on a daily basis things like "God fucking dammit" and "Jesus Motherfucking Christ." Oh, and "Oh, my fucking God."

I once had a coworker get mad at me because I used the Lord's name in vain by saying "God" instead of "Gosh." Then I heard her say "Jesus Motherfucking Christ" under her breath. I never let her live it down.

I once had a coworker get mad at me because I used the Lord's name in vain by saying "God" instead of "Gosh."  Then I heard her say "Jesus Motherfucking Christ" under her breath.  I never let her live it down.

Yes, someone had a go at me once for exclaiming "Jesus Christ".

Next time someone has a go at me for using the "Lord's" name in vain, I'll simply remind them that it's only in vain if He doesn't exist.

I dont have a problem with "Thank God", "Jesus Christ", "Fucking Hell" (or if you've seen Fat Pizza, or Big Brother: "Oh my Gooood!") or anything else like that. It's habitual, it's an effective way to add emphasis to a statement and God has yet to strike me down with a bolt of lightning for using such terms.

I found for me, that using things such as Oh my god, or Oh my fucking god, or holy crap or whatever was a way that helped me to work through some of my stuff because I had always been afraid to use such phrases prior to my deconversion.

I found for me, that using things such as Oh my god, or Oh my fucking god, or holy crap or whatever was a way that helped me to work through some of my stuff because I had always been afraid to use such phrases prior to my deconversion.

Yup, same here.

Next time someone has a go at me for using the "Lord's" name in vain, I'll simply remind them that it's only in vain if He doesn't exist.

I will have to use that. :lmao:

These are common profanities that many people use, even life long atheists like me. Part of the culture and language of our time.

My favorite is, "Jesus fucking Christ".

Everytime I say that, I think to myself, I just told old JC to go fuck himself. (I think of it as a sentence)

Oh well, I always find it funny. :lmao:

These are common profanities that many people use, even life long atheists like me. Part of the culture and language of our time.

My favorite is, "Jesus fucking Christ".

I say, "GOD FUCKING DAMN IT!"

It's the most horrifying thing that a Christian could ever hear. Blasphemy and vulgarity in one package. Gotta love it! :lmao:

Blasphemy and vulgarity in one package.  Gotta love it! :lmao:  

:grin: Neil, my friend, you never fail to entertain us.