Goodbye Jesus

The Ten Commandments

jrmarlin

I have found in my travels that more times than not, Xians misquote the Ten Commandments continuously. :nono:

For instance the "Thou Shall Not Kill" vs. "Thou Shall Not Murder" Commandment... which no one seems to understand there is a huge difference as murder means to kill another person with malice and kill means to take life.

Here is an example of two places in the Babble where the Ten Biggies are displayed yet, in both it says Thou Shall Not Murder.

Why do Xians always fuck that up? Is it really that hard? It's definitely not a matter of semantics.

Exodus 20: 1-17

And God spoke all these words:

1. I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
  2. You shall have no other gods before me.
  3. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
  4. You shall not bow down to them or woship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand (generations) of those who love me and keep my commandments.
  5. You shall not misuse the name of the LORD you God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.
  6. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
  7. Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
  8. but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates.
  9. For in six days the LORD made teh heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
  10. Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD you God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you.
  11. You shall not murder.
  12. You shall not commit adultery.
  13. You shall not steal.
  14. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
  15. You shall not covet your neighbor's house.
  16. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife,
  17. or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

:nono: Now why do Xians always feel they need to embellish on it? What's the point? It says Murder not Kill. This was not my first, second or third source on the big Ten.

Any thoughts?

Now why do Xians always feel they need to embellish on it? What's the point? It says Murder not Kill. This was not my first, second or third source on the big Ten.

Any thoughts?

[/size]

God to Charlton Heston as Moses "Thou shalt not kill". Hollywood teaches the public what the Bible says.

Just a note: I think it's interesting that God states that he is a jealous God and that he punishes people third and fourth generations over if they deny him.

That's just the kind of guy I worship..........NOT! :scratch:

Hi, jr. Before you can brace Christians about the so-called Ten Commandments, it MUST be pointed out that there are TWO sets listed in the Holy Babble. Check out Exodus 34. The Second set of tablets, and the Second set of rules, even stranger than the first batch.

(More proof that the Penta-puke has more than one author! None of whom were "Moses".)

Why are there TWO of these threads? My "real" reply is on the one with the poll.

Why are there TWO of these threads? My "real" reply is on the one with the poll.

:Doh: Mr. G., do you still see two? I can only see one.

Yes, I know about the Exodus, I was getting to that one... I haven't had time. I've been working while on the board and I got carried away at the job.

I will put them up -- probably in a little before 7PM EST. I'm on the case, Commander Grinch! I promise!

I also have the ten commandments from Deuteronomy 5:6-21. Which are almost identical but there are some differences....

:lmao:

God to Charlton Heston as Moses "Thou shalt not kill". Hollywood teaches the public what the Bible says.

Sad how Hollywood dictates what we think more than actually reading. No wonder we're an illiterate nation. Go figure.... :shrug:

Any thoughts?

What? You mean despite the fact that that constitutes 12 or 13 Commandments not 10 when you really look at it.

I have found in my travels that more times than not, Xians misquote the Ten Commandments continuously. :nono:

What I find more irrational and irritating is that CHRISTIANS yak it up but don't obey them.

Otherwise there'd be more ruckuss about capital punishment that's so popular in the US.

Which we all know is murder by the state.....yes?

I also find it a bit weird/spooky that their are judges in the States with the 10 commandments embroided on their cloaks.......scary stuff.

:Hmm: Now, we're going to get to the GOOD stuff.

Thou Shall Not Covet...

Covet No.

Exodus 20:17

Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shall not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is they neighbor's.

Deuteronomy 5:21

Neither shall thou covet thy neighbor's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is thy neighbor's.

Roman 13:9

Thou shall not covet.

Ephesians 5:3

<a name="3">But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;

Covet yes!

1 Corinthians 12:31

Covet earnestly the best gifts.

1 Corinthians 14:39

Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

Source: Skeptic's Annotated Bible

Which is it, covet or not to covet --

I am finding there are tons of these just in the big TEN alone.

It's no wonder that Xians don't know their ass from their head. Their God doesn't know his either.

:Hmm: Another Tidbit:

The day of rest was supposed to be on Saturday. It is written several places in the bible; however, it was changed to Sunday. The Seventh Day Adventists is the only Christian religion that still follows the day of rest being on Saturday - thus the only Christians to keep Commandment 4, all the rest break it.

Commandments have subjectivity.

Source: Religious Tolerance: Analysis of the Ten Commandments

The source says that Christians just interpret that it's Sunday but in fact, it is Saturday. Also, this prohibits recreation of any kind. No picnics, kids. It was meant for private and public worship only.

As I find more of the tidbits, I will post them and you all can tell me what you think. Xians encouraged to answer...

:Hmm: Now, we're going to get to the GOOD stuff.

Thou Shall Not Covet...

Covet No.

Exodus 20:17

Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shall not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is they neighbor's.

Deuteronomy 5:21

Neither shall thou covet thy neighbor's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is thy neighbor's.

Roman 13:9

Thou shall not covet.

Ephesians 5:3

<a name="3">But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;

Covet yes!

1 Corinthians 12:31

Covet earnestly the best gifts.

1 Corinthians 14:39

Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

Source: Skeptic's Annotated Bible

Which is it, covet or not to covet --

I am finding there are tons of these just in the big TEN alone.

It's no wonder that Xians don't know their ass from their head. Their God doesn't know his either.

I think it's more like their writers didn't know their ass from their head either. I think they just didn't understand the message they were trying to convey here and the very message got lost in the translation so-to-speak. They played the ego card, which was what they thought was correct, and in the process set themselves above others. Paul seemed to be set on creating churches based on his understanding and he was very convinced he was right. Damned ego...sneaks in and destroys everything.

Here's how far some will go with

Commandment 1, Thou shall have no gods other than Me.

Some Xians believe this means you should not worship money, possessions, another person, beauty, status, success...

:close: Now we're really stretching, kids...

Some Xians believe this means you should not worship money, possessions, another person, beauty, status, success...

I remember hearing lots of sermons on this topic when I was a kid. Money was the root of all evil, yet the church didn't have a problem with collecting offerings. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Hi, jr. Before you can brace Christians about the so-called Ten Commandments, it MUST be pointed out that there are TWO sets listed in the Holy Babble. Check out Exodus 34. The Second set of tablets, and the Second set of rules, even stranger than the first batch.

(More proof that the Penta-puke has more than one author! None of whom were "Moses".)

Actually there are three sets. The two in Exodus and the one in Deuteronomy 5. The last is almost the same as the version most people know but not quite (the most notable difference I see is why we're are to keep the sabbath). See http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/whichcom.htm.

mwc

Here is one of Mr. Grinch's many favorites:

Exodus 34

34:1 And the LORD said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.

(34:1, 27-28)

In this verse God says he will write on the stone tablets, but in 34:27 he tells Moses to do it.

Who wrote the ten commandments?

34:2 And be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, and present thyself there to me in the top of the mount.

34:3 And no man shall come up with thee, neither let any man be seen throughout all the mount; neither let the flocks nor herds feed before that mount.

34:4 And he hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up unto mount Sinai, as the LORD had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone.

"Moses ... went up unto mount Sinai ... and took in his hand the two tables of stone."

Where did Moses receive the ten commandments?

34:5 And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.

God descends and a cloud and stands with Moses. So I guess he must have a body.

Does God have a body?

34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,

Is God merciful?

34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

Children are punished for their fathers sins.

God says that he visits "the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and fourth generation." But in Dt.24:16 and Ezek.18:20 he denies this and says that the sons are not punished for the sins of their fathers.

Are we punished for the sins of others?

34:8 And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped.

34:9 And he said, If now I have found grace in thy sight, O LORD, let my LORD, I pray thee, go among us; for it is a stiffnecked people; and pardon our iniquity and our sin, and take us for thine inheritance.

34:10 And he said, Behold, I make a covenant: before all thy people I will do marvels, such as have not been done in all the earth, nor in any nation: and all the people among which thou art shall see the work of the LORD: for it is a terrible thing that I will do with thee.

34:11 Observe thou that which I command thee this day: behold, I drive out before thee the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite.

(34:11-14) God drives out the pagan tribes and commands the Israelites to destroy their altars and places of worship.

34:12 Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee:

34:13 But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves:

Ye shall destroy their altars.

God, "whose name is Jealous", will not tolerate the worship of any other god.

How many gods are there?

34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

34:15 Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice;

34:16 And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.

Let's go a whoring!

"Their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods." God always blames the women; it is they who "go a whoring" and then "make" the men "go a whoring."

34:17 Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

34:18 The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep. Seven days thou shalt eat unleavened bread, as I commanded thee, in the time of the month Abib: for in the month Abib thou camest out from Egypt.

34:19 All that openeth the matrix is mine; and every firstling among thy cattle, whether ox or sheep, that is male.

34:20 But the firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb: and if thou redeem him not, then shalt thou break his neck. All the firstborn of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And none shall appear before me empty.

Break his neck

If you can't redeem him, then just "break his neck." It's all for the glory of God.

34:21 Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest: in earing time and in harvest thou shalt rest.

Is it necessary to keep the sabbath?

34:22 And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

34:23 Thrice in the year shall all your menchildren appear before the LORD God, the God of Israel.

Females need not apply.

Thrice in the year shall all your men children appear before the Lord." But what about the "women children"? Don't they ever get to appear before the Lord?

34:24 For I will cast out the nations before thee, and enlarge thy borders: neither shall any man desire thy land, when thou shalt go up to appear before the LORD thy God thrice in the year.

34:25 Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.

34:26 The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

"Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk."

34:27 And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.

34:28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Moses goes without food or water for 40 days and nights.

34:29 And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tables of testimony in Moses' hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses wist not that the skin of his face shone while he talked with him.

34:30 And when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone; and they were afraid to come nigh him.

(34:30-35) "He put a vail upon his face."

After meeting God on mount Sinai, Moses had to cover his face with a veil to avoid frightening the Israelites.

34:31 And Moses called unto them; and Aaron and all the rulers of the congregation returned unto him: and Moses talked with them.

34:32 And afterward all the children of Israel came nigh: and he gave them in commandment all that the LORD had spoken with him in mount Sinai.

"He gave them in commandment all that the LORD had spoken with him in mount Sinai."

Where did Moses receive the ten commandments?

34:33 And till Moses had done speaking with them, he put a vail on his face.

34:34 But when Moses went in before the LORD to speak with him, he took the vail off, until he came out. And he came out, and spake unto the children of Israel that which he was commanded.

34:35 And the children of Israel saw the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses' face shone: and Moses put the vail upon his face again, until he went in to speak with him.

:scratch: Now, for your ease of reading, I have italicized the commentary from the Skeptic's Annotated Bible editors. I thought they were hilarious, so I left them in. The Bold is when God said, I am the MATRIX. See, I told you the Matrix was a part of this whole deal. No one believed me... :nono:

A couple of my own problems and priclivities regarding this chapter of Moses's and the tables (Tablets.)

Hmmm, go out whoring. Very interesting verbage for God. That is quite telling. And women don't ever get to see God. So, why would Xians think that women would be as devoted to something (one) they never got to see.

:Wendywhatever: That's like asking a rock groupie to stay faithful to just one rock star. Why would she when there are obviously, by God's words, a plethora of other Gods to choose from. Kind of like God on Tap. Eh?

This cinches it for me, the Xian God is just too twisted for Color Television. (Shirley MacLaine, Steel Magnolias) :vent:

Here's Another thing, All my Dingleberries.... :Hmm:

Ten Punishmentts
  1. Exodus 22:20: He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed.
  2. Leviticus 24:16: And he that blasphemeth the name of the Lord, he shall surely be put to death.
  3. Exodus 31:15: Whosoever doeth any work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
  4. Exodus 21:15: He that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.
  5. Exodus 21:17: He that curseth his father or his mother, shall surely be put to death.
  6. Exodus 22:19: Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death.
  7. Leviticus 20:13: If a man lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death.
  8. Leviticus 20:10: And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall be put to death.
  9. Mark 16:16: He that believeth not, shall be damned.
  10. Malachi 2:1-4: And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you. If you will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart to give glory to my name, ... behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces.

The Xian God is a pretty pissed off Guy. He smites. He curses. He puts to death. He damns. He commands. He corrupts (not very pure or god-like) and he utterly destroys. Nice.

Why would anyone want to hang with such a hate monger. Guess that's why most Xians are hate mongers. :loser:

Thanks for the reference, mwc - it's great.

Also noticed on all their ten commandments there is none other than, thou shall not KILL.

I've not been a big fan of the Ten Commandments. There's nothing explicit about not lying, and some of them are redundant. Furthermore, Yahweh™ has to have his ass kissed in the first three, showing that the Ten Commandments proceed from a religion more concerned with placating an angry god than conveying a workable system of ethics :Wendywhatever:

I've not been a big fan of the Ten Commandments. There's nothing explicit about not lying, and some of them are redundant. Furthermore, Yahweh™ has to have his ass kissed in the first three, showing that the Ten Commandments proceed from a religion more concerned with placating an angry god than conveying a workable system of ethics :Wendywhatever:

I was thinking Varokhar, do you think that God's way of breaking the ice in the first three is a great first date conversation to have? :eek:

Oh well...

As far as the lying I think that's the jargon disguised as some bearing false witness bullshit. But then again, in the Big 10, God lies to Xians -- or so he has been misquoted to be lying... So lying is perfectly acceptable. As well as plagarism.

i voted no i dont think i know them lets see.

1.thou shalt have no other gods before me

we have jehovah in the old and jesus in the new winch one is it

2. thou shalt not make any graven image

umm does jesus statues, angel statues, saint statues, etc etc apply here

3. honor the sabbath and keep it holy

saturday the original day or is it sunday

4. thou shalt not kill

its ok for me to bomb abortion clinics tho right?

5. honor your mother and father

when marilyn murray ohairs son became a preacher and said those awful things about her that was ok tho right?

6. do not covet

i could go all night on that one damn

7. do not lie

jimmy swaggert saying he wouldnt go whoring again and did is ok right?

shit theirs 3 more im gonna lookem up

8. you shall not commit adultry

oh jimmy you in trouble

9. you shall not take the lords name in vain

is that saying god damn surely it isnt cause i hear christians say that

10. you shalt not steal

stealing pagan ideas is ok tho right and all the stealing threw out history.

i dont know why people bother putting these everywere they ongly follow them till they want to break them. people do what ever the hell they want to shit.

i mean god damn oops :lmao:

As far as the lying I think that's the jargon disguised as some bearing false witness bullshit. But then again, in the Big 10, God lies to Xians -- or so he has been misquoted to be lying... So lying is perfectly acceptable. As well as plagarism.

Yeah - "thou shalt not bear false witness" is not the same as "not lying." It clearly cannot but apply to anything but a legal setting, or else why not just say "lying"? I hate how Xians try to push this crap as morality, yet it is more vague than concise. No wonder people don't bother with it.

Yeah - "thou shalt not bear false witness" is not the same as "not lying." It clearly cannot but apply to anything but a legal setting, or else why not just say "lying"? I hate how Xians try to push this crap as morality, yet it is more vague than concise. No wonder people don't bother with it.

Honestly, it is a good think they didn't put thou shall not lie in the big 10 because then Hell would be running over with Xians as they will lie, cheat, plagarize, steal, sell their mother into white slavery and everything else imaginable to go whorin' for God. Think about it. It's true. :scratch:

ahh crap i got that one wrong its not do not lie its thou shalt not bear false witness kinda like gossip right. so its basicly saying something false about something. like how the chick tracts on halloween say witches put glass in apples and give them too kids. lieing for the lard is ok right lol

ahh crap i got that one wrong its not do not lie its thou shalt not bear false witness kinda like gossip right. so its basicly saying something false about something. like how the chick tracts on halloween say witches put glass in apples and give them too kids. lieing for the lard is ok right lol

I do like the "Go whorin' for God" line. That's classic. How many people do you know ask you to go whorin' for them?

That Xian God's got some boulder balls, that's for damn sure.

Willy, do you think that Xians are afraid to answer this post. I am shocked we don't have the resident trolls and naysayers in here having a bitchfest. What gives. It's fucking Monday... now on Friday, Saturday - even Thursday, I can understand but it's Monday! :twitch:

why would someone ask you to go whoring for them? that like a pimp?

i dont get it either youd think with all the shit i post one christian would rant and rave with me.

i am always amazed how its ongly exchristians mostly who post on topics like this i guess they feel out numbered or something. do we still have fundys here i havent seen a good bitchfest between fundies and exchristians in a long time.

That Xian God's got some boulder balls, that's for damn sure.

Willy, do you think that Xians are afraid to answer this post. I am shocked we don't have the resident trolls and naysayers in here having a bitchfest. What gives. It's fucking Monday... now on Friday, Saturday - even Thursday, I can understand but it's Monday! :twitch:

You do have to hand it to God. Those big 10 and the 10 punishments are handed down with such managerial breo. It's quite impressive. I guess that's why the meek and the brainfucked are the ones that actually listen to it and believe it.

Perhaps I should start acting like that....

"You shall serve no other chick by me... I am the only chick, as if you go and worship other chicks besides me, then third and fourth generations will suffer my wrath and punishment of thee."

It's kind of dommie isn't it?

Do you think I'd get a second date? :Doh: I would think most men would run like hell to get away from that kind of rhetoric.

whose the third and fourth generation? and why do they get punished for what the first generation does? i never could figure that out. now that you put it that way i think i get it. is bible god saying if you dont follow the commandments he will kill your grandkids? thats pretty sorry. i wouldnt be suprised i mean the whole worlds supponsinly damn for what adam and eve did. and jesus had to die on the cross for their forgiveness its a wonder he didnt say its not my fault the humans you created fucked up why do i got to die for them? this is stupid.

My take on it all:

First, if we examine the whole christian community worldwide then I'd say that maybe some 25 % actually read the commandments... only that they aren't the real commandments. Which leads to question 2: Yes, I know the commandments better than pretty much every christian I ever met, whether in person or online - for none of them was aware that the real commandments are listed in Ex 34, which is crystal-clear from examining this chapter closely.

And I'm not surprised that no christian wants to know the real commandments, for they completely, irrevocably, and immediately destroy any claim to the "love" of this monster called jehoover.