Goodbye Jesus

Asshole Makes Me Stand Up In Church

LordProtectorOliverCromwell

What is your opinion on attending a dinner at a Christian's (Parents in my case) place and blowing head/closing eyes versus not?

I haven't been bowing head/closing eyes, and mum sometimes watches to see if I am. I wonder if I start to out of 'respect' they might think I'm slowly coming back into the fold?... although that's probably a side issue of whether I should or not.

I never bow my head, close my eyes or fold my hands.  None of it.  I sit there until they're done and then I eat.  Over the years I've been known to grab a bite or two if they go on too long if I managed to dish a little beforehand but usually I wait it out.

I find it bizarre to watch a whole group of people sit there with their heads down and eyes closed talking out loud to who the fuck knows as if it somehow matters.  There's no way to really respect that.  Playing along isn't the same as respect unless respect in this sense is simply showing a courtesy in an effort to be polite.  If we are talking this sense then I know most of these people expect this sort of courtesy but would never repay it.  They wouldn't play along, to show respect, in a home where another religion was practiced.  Would they go along in a prayer to Allah?  Some Hindu god?  Their god won't allow that.  They'd abstain.  So why give them the courtesy?

mwc

• Like 2

I never bow my head, close my eyes or fold my hands.  None of it.  I sit there until they're done and then I eat.  Over the years I've been known to grab a bite or two if they go on too long if I managed to dish a little beforehand but usually I wait it out.

I find it bizarre to watch a whole group of people sit there with their heads down and eyes closed talking out loud to who the fuck knows as if it somehow matters.  There's no way to really respect that.  Playing along isn't the same as respect unless respect in this sense is simply showing a courtesy in an effort to be polite.  If we are talking this sense then I know most of these people expect this sort of courtesy but would never repay it.  They wouldn't play along, to show respect, in a home where another religion was practiced.  Would they go along in a prayer to Allah?  Some Hindu god?  Their god won't allow that.  They'd abstain.  So why give them the courtesy?

mwc

That's actually a very interesting point....I had not considered that. I wonder if my parents would ever be caught in the home of people where another religion was practiced. Too judgey.

• Like 1

Interesting. I will not bow my head, but I will hold hands.

And just how would they know that they're being looked at? ;)

Of course, I never elect to say the prayer, but one Christmas my mom actually ambushed me. And yes, she knows that I don't believe. Refusing to indulge her passive-aggressive stunt, I ad libbed a secular invocation, but after I finished, my father made it a point to say a Christian prayer.

Wow! That must have been uncomfortable.