Goodbye Jesus

Atheists On Their Death Beds

xrayman7040

...we all make mistakes of one kind or another in times like these, I.B.F., so I certainly hope that you are not beating yourself up over it. It sounds like you had the best of intentions. I hope that I never have to go through things like that enough to be confidently good at it. Not many of us do, and all we can do is the best we know how at the moment.

I know one thing, I don't want clergy anywhere near my death bed! :nono:

Today I went to the funeral of the mother of my oldest friend, Bob, who goes back to when I was in second grade. It was at a Methodist church. Hymns, prayers, a little sermon, etc. Lots of talk about God and Jesus.

At first I sang the hymns to be a good sport. As it went on, I stopped. I respect Bob's mother, her life, her contributions to her generation and her son's generation. That's authentic. I could not pay lip service to a system of thought that I think is absurd.

And it is absurd. If God wanted her in heaven, why not just create her in heaven? Why subject my friend's mother to the hell of the last six years of her life, when she was wrecked by Alzheimers's?

So, bring this back to my own deathbed...

I can't see now but doing anything different than what I see is real life. I think I'd lie there - I hope with some loved ones near - and just call it quits, with a smile if I can move my lips. I'm not planning on invoking any imaginary entities or enduring the ministrations of any guys who are paid to promote imaginary entities. If they ask me, do you want a priest, I will say, no. That's the best I can foresee looking ahead with the luxury of imagination.

I'll admit to being afraid of death. Not of what happens afterward but that it could be painful. I watched my mother die from cancer when I was a teenager, so I know that it can be a slow and painful process. I'm hoping to die in my sleep as an very old lady someday, having had a much happier life after my deconversion. That would be the best way to go, IMHO.