Orbit

Has anyone read this book on a-holes?

I just ran across this on Amazon while looking for something else (no, not what you're thinking) and wondered if anyone had read it.

https://www.amazon.com/Assholes-Theory-Aaron-James/dp/0804171351/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516997942&sr=8-2&keywords=sociology+best+sellers

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

Yes. @Orbit I just finished it two weeks ago.

it's a quick read and, mostly, self-help relating to what battles you should fight and which ones to let go. Mr. James identifies several types of assholes - my favorite being the self-aggrandizing asshole - because I not only work for one but I have encountered a few of Mrs. MOHO's fundy friends who fit that caricature as well.

The last 100 pp or so is the author's rant about what he feels is asshole capitalism. He does not appear to be anti-capitalist in general but feels there are many who spoil the concept.

After reading the book I took an account of my own behavior and identified at least one area where I need to take an accounting. Like my response to newbies here when I get the feeling that their only reason for visiting us is to dump their religious diatribes on us. I'm sure I have come off as an asshole to one or two.

• Like 1

His views are I think that Capitalism needs to be reformed culturally and economically, shifting towards a less frenetic lifestyle and slowing down for a more leisurely lifestyle which focuses on nature and being globally minded.  His writings elsewhere indicate that he thinks the Protestant Work ethic instilled in the wage labor economy in the Industrial Revolution needs to be replaced with something more sustainable and in line with what we know about human psychology which I strongly agree with.  The Protestant Work Ethic works for naturally conscientious people, but it also has been the justification for brutal treatment of workers who are not so naturally resilient and the lost history of American classes is where such horrors can be found.  My bet is that Libertarians won't like his writings, but then again they think Ayn Rand is the greatest writer ever most often.  

• Like 1

Huh. I've run into plenty of unsavory people; maybe I'll read this.

No I have not, but my reading list has just been expanded.

Haven't read it, but stumbled across the updated version in a bookstore a while back. It looked interesting.