Goodbye Jesus

Hello from an X-Calvinist!

DestinyTurtle

Hello everyone,

I grew up in a Calvinistic-Baptist missionary household during my childhood. I was a sincere believer throughout my childhood, which perhaps made it sting all the harder when I was effectively excommunicated and deemed ‘unelect’ by my parents during my time in college (Probably for asking too many questions, even though I was coming from a place of sincere belief). Needless to say there was a lot of hurt but it’s been many years since then and I’ve grown a lot and progressed a lot. I like who I am now. I decided to join this forum to interact with people who have had similar journeys. 

I look forward to chatting with you :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dig in and read on Destiny.

Best spot on 'net for on.ass on.line time spent.

kevinL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DestinyTurtle said:

Hello everyone,

I grew up in a Calvinistic-Baptist missionary household during my childhood. I was a sincere believer throughout my childhood, which perhaps made it sting all the harder when I was effectively excommunicated and deemed ‘unelect’ by my parents during my time in college (Probably for asking too many questions, even though I was coming from a place of sincere belief). Needless to say there was a lot of hurt but it’s been many years since then and I’ve grown a lot and progressed a lot. I like who I am now. I decided to join this forum to interact with people who have had similar journeys. 

I look forward to chatting with you :)

Condolences for your unfortunate upbringing.  Congratulations for removing yourself from such a toxic environment.  That being said, it will likely take some time and consistent hard work to heal the abuse you suffered.  

Good luck.  Many folks here can help.

Welcome aboard, you will find likeminded folks here that understand where you're coming from & how difficult the journey out of religion can be. 

Welcome to Ex-c Destiny Turtle! So glad you have joined us and thanks for sharing some of your story. Looking forward to hearing more from you! We here at Ex-c understand! 

(hug)

Hey Turtle, Welcome!  I think you'll find this a good place to be.  For many of us, the only non-believers we know are in this community, and it's important (for me, at least) to be able to have that fellowship.  I deconverted over a period three to four years ago.  It is so good to be able to be open about my atheism, even if it's 'only' an online community like this.  Of course you don't have to consider yourself an atheist to feel at home here...

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Thank you everyone! It's a great comfort to hear your support and encouragement! :) I'll stick around and see what I can do to share my perspective and support other people in return!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sdelsolray said:

Condolences for your unfortunate upbringing.  Congratulations for removing yourself from such a toxic environment.  That being said, it will likely take some time and consistent hard work to heal the abuse you suffered.  

Good luck.  Many folks here can help.

Thank you sdelsolray! You are correct, and in fact it *has* taken a long time and consistent hard work to get to where I am now (almost 10 years?). Looking back I believe I should have perhaps sought support of other people like me over the internet, but I spent a lot of the journey alone. 

1 hour ago, ThereAndBackAgain said:

Hey Turtle, Welcome!  I think you'll find this a good place to be.  For many of us, the only non-believers we know are in this community, and it's important (for me, at least) to be able to have that fellowship.  I deconverted over a period three to four years ago.  It is so good to be able to be open about my atheism, even if it's 'only' an online community like this.  Of course you don't have to consider yourself an atheist to feel at home here...

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Thank you, ThereAndBack! I deconverted about 8-12 years ago, I think (there was a long grey area)? I agree completely about needing the fellowship. I have non-believing friends now, but it was a big adjustment over the years to adjust my attitudes and behaviors in a way that 'fits-in' with these friends. I had to get passed certain prejudices and assumptions about non-believers that were deeply programmed in me, even when I wasn't technically a believer anymore. I look forward to hearing more from you, too :)