Goodbye Jesus

Why So Bitter?

LookingGlass

I have to admit, I decided to try being a troll on the AI boards for just a bit... and I about got off on it. ;) JK. But it was entirely TOO fun... I am ashmamed of myself.

Why be ashamed? We have a duty to test every member when we can. Who knows how many Chrisbots there are in the world... Call it troubleshooting, my dear.

:poke:

Well, the AI boards are American Idol... so I wasn't doing anything for a good purpose... I was just harassing people and mocking people just for the sake of their reactions.

Bitter?

That's a typical christian word ain't it?

I'm bitter about anyone who still uses it...I'm a nasty backslidden bitter fruit.....heehee

bit late in the thread and all! (*)(*)

Hi, Looking Glass,

I think you have a fair point, and it's a good question. I think people whould be given the benefit of the doubt when they first turn up, and should not be shouted at, insulted or ridiculed until they've said something very, very silly.

Having said that, since I and most of the people here seem to believe that Christianity is an absurd and horrible system, this will probably happen quite soon. And that IS fair enough. The Christian in question might be and probably is a perfectly nice and decent person, but when they defend ancient bigoted barbarianism they deserve to have their faces rubbed in it.

Also, while I think it would be best if everybody kept their cool and was polite at all times, sometimes it's extremely difficult when talking to Christians about Christianity, and honestly it seems much more fun just to insult them. Anyone who comes on to an exchristian board saying that Jesus loves you or that science proves the earth to be only 6, 000 years old is, in my opinion, asking for it.

Deconverting usually goes in stages. It's like grief. Many people are in shock, even denial at first, and they try various tactics to convince themselves it's real.

When those tactics fail, the person often becomes angry at themselves for being so stupid to believe it all, at those who lied to them, and at society in general for perpetuating the lies. Sometimes, they come to websites like this one and bang their heads against the fundies in the Lions Den because they can't directly confront their friends and family. The anger stage can last a while; I know from experience.

Once the anger stage is over, various things can happen, depending on the person. Some people cope by learning all they can about the things that were forbidden to them by the church (in some cases, science and in other cases, different religions).

Still others cope by talking with those who are going through the same thing, because they often cannot talk to their Christian friends or family. So they come here. Fundamentalist churches are like any other cult in the sense that those who leave the church are often shunned by the people they thought they knew.

And others cope by finding a different belief system (usually less destructive, but not always).

When you have such a destructive belief system as fundamentalist Christianity, people are often very disappointed when they realize they've been lied to (in many cases, all their lives), especially if they "come out" to their friends and family and are shunned instead of getting the emotional support they need. Combine that with the fact that many people have been emotionally and even physically abused during their years in the church.

Does it makes sense now why so many people feel such pain?

As for spelling and grammar, it is considered proper Netiquette to do your best to communicate. If people can't understand what you're trying to say because every other word is spelled wrong, they're not going to listen. It's only polite to make the effort to make yourself understood. One typo in two dozen posts isn't a big deal, but sum1 tlkg lIke THiS gets very old very fast.

I read the OP, but decided to post my response before I read the other posts.

I'm not bitter. Not the least. If you ever find posts from me that rants about or indignify the Christians in any way and their religion, it's because either I'm upset with the behavior of one or more of the agents of their faith, or because I'm just in a mood of starting a controversy and maybe, hopefully, make them *think*. Has nothing to do with bitterness.

Do I rant and feel upset about the decisions of the governments sometimes? Sure I do, and I sometimes rant about it, and maybe even slip into dysphemism against a politician or two. Does this mean I'm bitter in regards of politics? Nope. It only means I have opinions, and sometimes just very strong and passionate ones.

*edit*

Btw, bitter is only a word I use for lime and lemons, but really never for people with strong emotions. Being passionate about things, or even upset and angry should never be compared to being bitter. I've met a few people that actually and truly were bitter about something, and it's far from what we see here on a daily basis.

Exacatly... I wonder if I psychologically need to believe in something. I am combating this right now by e reading a book on itl

ssb's wording wasn't exactly clear in several places, and she seems to be operating on some standard christian assumptions, but I don't think her questions or assumptions warranted the harsh response she got from some people.

This is precisely what my problem was...um...is. I came in with a lot of Christian assumptions trying to get answers to things I didn't really know much about anyways.

That's why I am glad Asimov is here.... he's like our resident attack dog

Someone has to put us in our place. :Doh:

I agree with the fact said before, people on these boards feel spiritually raped, it's only natural that they are angry. Of course there are those who show bitterness just to do it...lol

And, like Mr. Grinch, some even have a method to it. ^_^

Welcome to life.

-Dra Mucd Uha

I think that LookingGlass is truly Looking4Trouble. I, for one, am not bitter; however, if you are mistaking my intolerance of stupidity, ignorance and complete denial of facts that christians possess, then I guess in your eyes I am bitter.

I have never seen one group go out of their way to degenerate, re-write history, misinterpet, misinform, misguide and misrepresent anything for a long time. The Christ Cult has been very good at hoodwinking people into their beliefs until such people wake-up to the lies and misinformation. When these people do wake-up they are considered traders, unloyal, sinful, urchins on the face of humanity. It's ridiculous. Peer Pressue and Social Engineering with very distinct bitterness, yet LG you come here trying to insinuate that we as non-christians are bitter? Interesting. Projecting is a very dangerous thing.

I'm not bitter. Not the least. If you ever find posts from me that rants about or indignify the Christians in any way and their religion, it's because either I'm upset with the behavior of one or more of the agents of their faith, or because I'm just in a mood of starting a controversy and maybe, hopefully, make them *think*. Has nothing to do with bitterness.

Do I rant and feel upset about the decisions of the governments sometimes? Sure I do, and I sometimes rant about it, and maybe even slip into dysphemism against a politician or two. Does this mean I'm bitter in regards of politics? Nope. It only means I have opinions, and sometimes just very strong and passionate ones.

Good point. A lot of people get rid of stress by writing. I've found that journaling is very therapeutic. It is a good way to release your emotions, particularly if you are feeling very pissed off by something.

Not to mention, this particular subforum is specifically for rants. So if you come to the Rants and Replies section, you're going to find a lot of people venting, more so than you would in other subforums.

My observations have left me wondering, can one become an ex-christian without becoming a bitter pessimist, or do the two go hand in hand? Does leaving one's faith eventually leave you an angry person in the end?

Frequently, you'll see ex-alcoholics or ex-drug addicts who will be very bitter about alcohol or drugs. And you'll find that when a person has been cheated in some way, they tend to be quite bitter and angry about it, and angry at the person(s) who bilked them.

This is the sort of thing you'll find here. Most folks here have been cheated - they've been led to believe a lie their whole lives. Now they found out that they were lied to and cheated, and they're angry about it. And they're angry at others who come here and try to lie to them and cheat them further.

No big mystery there.

Hey, half of the reason for my "Agnostics make up your mind" post was to try and tick off non-christians to see if I could prove a theory to myself. That theory was that not only Christians are rudely defensive when questioned about their beliefs. I'm glad to see that emotions run high on both sides because it tells me that people are passionate about their beliefs and non-beliefs. If they didn't get mad they don't really care and just want to flop their opinions around.

Okay. Good enough for me. :)

Btw, I do things like that too. The best way to waken some peoples minds is to stir up their emotions and make them start using the cog-wheels in their brains.

That's why I am glad Asimov is here.... he's like our resident attack dog :lmao:

:P

It was laced with so many generalizations that I found it hard to take seriously. My observations have left me wondering, can one become an ex-christian without becoming a bitter pessimist,

This does seem a bit of a generalization. :eek:

By the way, fuck off.

(just kidding :grin: )