Goodbye Jesus

hi there

Glycerine75

Not sure if I posted in this thread when I made this account.  That was several months ago.  Its taken me this long to make peace with the fact that indeed, I'm an ex. 

I still struggle, I still wish I believed.  I remember reading something that someone once said, a famous person I believe - that he "missed Jesus".  I know what he meant, now. 

I've researched, read and re-researched and it's just not something I'm on board with anymore.  

I was raised Christian, and as a kid I even led a bible study.  I went to church/Sunday school every week and felt such peace at times, especially when I would pray. 

Now Im searching for that same peace but from a different place, I guess. 

• Like 3

Welcome. Leaving Christianity is difficult. I'd been a Christian fundamentalists for 47 years when it began unraveling. Obviously the doubt set in before that but I tried to ignore it or rationalize all of my increasing doubts. I love history so I decided to study and research to origins and evolution of both the Bible & the Christian Faith. 

That lead me to Dr. Bart Ehrman. After reading just one of his books I was convinced the Bible wasn't true either literally or historically. And that realization lead me to years of studing & researching religious history. And that lead me to acknowledge the Bible & Christianity is all man made nonsense. 

Leaving your faith is a journey not an event. It often takes years to complete the process. There are a lot of good books & YouTube videos out there that will confirm there is nothing sacred about the Bible. Lots of good info on this site too.

Again, welcome aboard I'm glad your found this site. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

Welcome!

It might help to realize that Christianity trains people to rely on something outside of themselves because we are so flawed and incomplete. This training is what's hard to overcome for so many people. It causes us to think we must find some substitute belief/activity/ritual to fill the void left by the old absentee landlord. The truth is you were complete and capable all along, you belong as much as any other expression of life. Now, go enjoy reality!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome (back?) to Ex-C, @Glycerine75.

That empty feeling goes away.

Keep visiting us and reading/posting.

Stay away from Jesus Freaks and religion in general for a while until you un-indoctrinate yourself. 

Immerse yourself in Ehrman, Carrier, Hitchens, Dawkins.

YOU took care of yourself all along. You don't need any outside source, especially a fictitious one, for any reason.

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

• Like 1

Welcome! I'm glad you found your way out.

You'll find lots of good people here. We're not a perfect bunch, but it's a great place to be. Stick around, and dive in!

• Super Moderator

@JimmyfoJesus    Your reply was deleted.  The ONLY place you may advocate for your god is in The Lion's Den.  Please keep your posts confined to that area of OUR home.  Thank you.

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, JimmyfoJesus said:

. . . 

Jimmyfo would you please keep your Christian witness in the Lion's Den section?  That is what the Lion's Den is for.  It's a special section just for Christians who want to be a good witness.  Now I'm sure Jesus would want you to be a good guest and follow the rules so please follow our rule. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 12:48 PM, Glycerine75 said:

Not sure if I posted in this thread when I made this account.  That was several months ago.  Its taken me this long to make peace with the fact that indeed, I'm an ex. 

I still struggle, I still wish I believed.  I remember reading something that someone once said, a famous person I believe - that he "missed Jesus".  I know what he meant, now. 

I've researched, read and re-researched and it's just not something I'm on board with anymore.  

I was raised Christian, and as a kid I even led a bible study.  I went to church/Sunday school every week and felt such peace at times, especially when I would pray. 

Remember now, having emotional stability doesn't prove anything one way or another. Many Christian's hold up their emotional state as a banner for proving Gods existence. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to X-Christian! I think to this day my still-christian relatives don't know what a painful decision it was for me at the time to leave. People here understand, though, and it's feels good to talk to people who do (and also understand the necessity of it).

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 10:48 PM, Glycerine75 said:

Welcome!

You say you still struggle. Can I suggest further reading? The likes of Dawkins, Bart Ehrman, and Dan Barker convinced me there was nothing to be nostalgic about...once I understood what kind of a god I had been worshiping my entire life, and what Christianity is, at its core. It's also a process though, and one you don't become quite comfortable with overnight. Give yourself time to grieve, if that's what you need.

I have found meditation helps, when I need to find some peace. So does being out in nature. Or listening to classical music.  I have been happy to give up my Sunday church time and selfishly use it as me time, doing what makes me happy.

On 4/19/2018 at 10:48 PM, Glycerine75 said:

It's like missing Santa. Once you're on to it, it's gone.

Sure would be nice to go back to playing make believe sometimes when things are tough, perhaps, but that's not a mentally healthy solution in the long run. Making yourself responsible for your own life rather than thinking you need some outside force to come and save you, is the road to healthier mental status. I say this because there's really nothing to miss about believing the Jesus myth, and I can't stress that enough. Imaginary salvation from an imaginary original sin, by an imaginary being, is completely imaginary. And work towards keeping you from taking responsibility of your own life and doing what you think needs done. 

• Like 1

Welcome!! I’m new(ish) too! 

I can only say, “it’s a process” and that I’m still working things out too. This is a great place, with great people, who are helpful. 

Fellow nurse here! I second the suggestion of music  (I like lullabies) and nature--quiet moments appreciating life. I understand the feeling of loss. I find that it helps to think about the positive things that the lack of faith brings...no more mental battles, not measuring up, having to accept things that feel wrong. You are obviously an inquisitive person and that's fantastic. What progress was ever made by just accepting things the way they are? Peace will come with time.

On 4/19/2018 at 7:48 PM, Glycerine75 said:

It will be a struggle, for a while. Everyone's journey out is different. My only suggestion would be to be kind to yourself. Allow yourself to feel your feelings.

I signed up for an account here a long, long time ago -- then never posted. I wasn't ready. But the newness of feeling empty because you no longer have Jesus to talk to in prayer, will fade. You'll become more at home with "just you" residing in your thoughts. It's a weird feeling in the beginning, not to pray. I still did for a while, although I prayed to "the energy and unseen forces that governs the universe." Seems silly now, but I needed that. You need what you need.

Then I started to read, as has already been suggested. If you feel Bart Ehrman (not a believer anymore) feels like too much, start with Pete Enns, who is still a believer, but has quite a bit to say about the crazy orthodoxy of the evangelical church today. I started with the Sin of Certainty and Inspiration and Incarnation, and then I moved on to Ehrman's books. Frankly, my impression after reading Enns was, "How is he still a believer?" but then again that's a very personal choice, and only one that each person can choose for themselves.

Good luck, and check in with us on your journey!