Goodbye Jesus

What Do You Worship?

garrisonjj

Ok,your not into religion. What comes closest to your heart as an alternative to worship? Thanks

From Merriam-Webster Online: Etymology: Middle English worshipe worthiness, respect, reverence paid to a divine being, from Old English weorthscipe worthiness, respect, from weorth worthy, worth + -scipe -ship

1 chiefly British : a person of importance -- used as a title for various officials (as magistrates and some mayors)

2 : reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; also : an act of expressing such reverence

3 : a form of religious practice with its creed and ritual

4 : extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem <worship of the dollar>

Definition number 4 is very important, as that is what "worship" boils down to - the act of honoring highly. With that in mind, I can be said to worship a number of things...

First, myself. Taking a cue from the Satanic Bible, I recognize that religion is meant to serve the needs of man, and is not some "revelation" from on high. If all my religious opinions are basically meant to do is serve my interests, then I should recognize that I am a part of my own religion, and should "worship" myself, ie, have high honor and respect for myself. After all, we all know the way of things - if you can't respect yourself, how will you ever respect others? The best way to treat others well is to build a good, healthy self-esteem first. So long as you don't take it too far and become an arrogant prick, the rest falls into place naturally.

I also worship, therefore, my loved ones, both friends and family, living or dead. I honor those whom I love, and do so highly, at least in my heart. I treat them well and do so because I love them and it gratifies me to do so as well as they simply deserve to be honored well. No one else is going to do it, moreover. I do take this concept into ancestor worship, and personally practice a form of it, myself.

I also worship nature, and honor it highly - after all, I am a part of it, too. I'm not some outside being from another dimension stomping on all the flowers, but a part of nature, both on this earth, and therefore part of the universe. Seems like common sense, but years of Xian brainwashing can really distort this basic truth. This includes human nature, or at least the good and healthy aspects of it. I never liked the Xian notion of scorning human nature, and think that, for the most part, humans have a decent outlook and natural approach to life.

I also worship ethics and good morals, and even though they are not always defined perfectly, goodness and decency are worshipful, honorable things. Certainly it pays more to worship a few good ideas than to worship some nebulous god who probably doesn't live those ideas out, no?

I worship truth, wherever it is found, especially when it's relevant. The facts of the universe always meant more to me than the changeable nature of the gods we've sometimes invented to embody aspects of truth. Good, simple facts and science make better religion than most cults humans have invented.

I tend to follow a neo-Pagan path, moreover, and consider all the gods to be just metaphorical embodiments of concepts and ideas my ancestors found worthy. At times I've worshipped those gods with that in mind, though it doesn't always suit me to, at least not yet.

The typical understanding of "worship" is not for me. I'm not one for bending my knee or supplicating - I did enough of that as a Xian zombie. I find it repugnant to kiss the ass of any god in order to woo favors out of said god, or just to placate said god so I don't have a bad day. Rubbish. I despise anything that encourages such spiritual weakness in a person, and have no stomach nor tongue for that form of "worship."

If I've made sense at all, those are the things I can be considered to "worship." In the end, life is my religion, and living it is how I practice it.

Velocity and accuracy.

5mm hole at 300 meters is striven for with daFatman's more accurate 'Liberty's Teeth".

Spent as much money being schooled to be an accurate rifleman as I have chasing booze, pussy, thrills and chemical excitement combined.

The goal? That young men and women never forget they are the logical heirs to a "Nation of Rebel Riflemen".

That and John Moses Brownings works.

kevinL

Ok,your not into religion. What comes closest to your heart as an alternative to worship? Thanks

My two passions are Learning and of Course The BoSox :HaHa:

knowledge

Science

...and my penis

My two passions are Learning and of Course The BoSox :HaHa:

learning and the Penn State Nittany Lions!

Logic, reason, science

Hm. What do I "worship" now...

In no particular order:

Good food. Really good wine.

Friends and family, and relationships.

My wiener dog.

Beautiful art.

Excellent design.

Learning. Reading. Books and the 'net.

Sleeping!

Beaches with warm sand or hot rocks, and great water to swim in.

My clitoris. Great orgasms.

I'm very much more a hedonist now than I used to be. So I suppose I worship pleasure more now.

I'm along the same lines as Varokhar, Neo-pagan. I dont believe in any sort of gods or dieties.

Freedom.

Tolerance.

Rationality.

Logic.

Common sense.

Those are my "gods" now.

From Merriam-Webster Online: Etymology: Middle English worshipe worthiness, respect, reverence paid to a divine being, from Old English weorthscipe worthiness, respect, from weorth worthy, worth + -scipe -ship

1 chiefly British : a person of importance -- used as a title for various officials (as magistrates and some mayors)

2 : reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; also : an act of expressing such reverence

3 : a form of religious practice with its creed and ritual

4 : extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem <worship of the dollar>

With this in mind, most definatly my family.

The Scientific Method and human ingenuity.

My kid, my books, my house, my family, my mind and my Yankees!

LIFE

-familyism

-humanism

-knowledgism

-naturism

-turntablism

-exchristian.netism

I worship nothing, because to me worship implies brainwashing and not being in control of your thoughts and feelings anymore. However, there are things and people I highly respect. That would be, in no particular order:

My friends & family

Nature

Science

Rationality

Learning

Discovery

Creativity

I forgot one... CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!

Amen to that, Angel, CHOCOLATE is the thing I worship! :notworthy:

How could I forget??? :Doh:

The other stuff on my previous post - science, logic, reason - are more like my interests than anything I worship.

ROTFL! Me, too.

Have you seen this page I made awhile back for kicks and giggles?

http://www.geocities.com/chocolate_cult/

I don't bow down to, be mindful of, pray to,

seek guidance from or look to for safety - anything. :shrug:

If you think about it, most all religions consist of all of that.

Stuff like that is what I consider "worship".

I just simply don't do that anymore. :shrug:

• Admin

ROTFL! Me, too.

Have you seen this page I made awhile back for kicks and giggles?

http://www.geocities.com/chocolate_cult/

Belgian is the best...

Creativity, imagination; the absolute mystery mechanism that is existence....I simply do not understand those who proclaim that those who function without the artificial imposition of "God" or "faith" automatically have no purpose, or sense of purpose.