Goodbye Jesus

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness

MamaCaz

1 Cor 1:18.

What a way to stamp out reason!  This is a total admission that Christianity is foolish and beyond reason, and it keeps people from questioning.  Why would god devise a plan of salvation that people who "are perishing" can't believe in?  Or, why would he make some people believe and make others not believe?  So dumb. 

What other mind controlling verses can you think of?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a toughy,  @MamaCaz

The only scriptures that I have found, that really demonstrate how controlling the Bible is, are the ones between Genesis and Revelations. 

OK. That was a copout and a feeble minded attempt at humor. 

Good topic and I'm sure there will be bow cups meaningful responses. 

Just now, MOHO said:

This is a toughy,  @MamaCaz

The only scriptures that I have found, that really demonstrate how controlling the Bible is, are the ones between Genesis and Revelations. 

😂

2 Timothy 1:7 - For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

I call bullshit on this one. At least as far as Bible god is concerned. 

Romans 12:2 - And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God

10 minutes ago, MOHO said:

2 Timothy 1:7 - For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

I call bullshit on this one. At least as far as Bible god is concerned. 

This one has been used consistently to dismiss mental illness as a character flaw.  

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 6:46 PM, florduh said:

"Godless in Dixie" (Neil Carter) touched on this a few years ago. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/godlessindixie/2013/08/27/anti-intellectualism-and-the-bible/

That's an excellent article, and totally explains why so many Christians have zero critical thinking skills and why some are even adamantly against using any kind of reasoning or evidence to support their views. I've listened to many apologists the past few years, and they've all been frustrated at the lack of interest shown towards it. They despair that so many Christians are totally unequipped to deal with objections, and are not interested in learning. All those years, and not once do I remember hearing a reason about WHY they're not interested. Now I know. It's the bible itself. The bible itself discourages intellectualism. Most apologists today aren't intellectual because the bible encouraged them to be. Rather, the world did. Their own questions did. So they shouldn't be surprised at the current state of Christianity, but somehow, they are. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stargazer95 said:

All those years, and not once do I remember hearing a reason about WHY they're not interested. Now I know. It's the bible itself. The bible itself discourages intellectualism.

And then there were people like me who did furiously read the bible to attempt to prove to myself, intellectually, that the bible was true (and I wasn't afraid to look at the hard facts, because Xianity would win in the end because it's true, right??). Over time that lead to a long list of realizations that led partly to my deconversion. Hard to say whether I regret reading the bible or I'm glad I did it.

Those in my ex-church pride themselves on not using reason and logic; this is the mark of the good believer. Using reason and logic in regards to biblical texts was a sin.

It just needs a little reworking. The preaching of the cross is for them that prefer foolishness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DestinyTurtle said:

And then there were people like me who did furiously read the bible to attempt to prove to myself, intellectually, that the bible was true (and I wasn't afraid to look at the hard facts, because Xianity would win in the end because it's true, right??). Over time that lead to a long list of realizations that led partly to my deconversion. Hard to say whether I regret reading the bible or I'm glad I did it.

That was exactly my situation too. I was never afraid to face the challenges head-on, because I always believed Christianity would come out on top in the end. But here I am. 

I suppose anti-intellectualism is a good thing for the church though. If more Christians were thinkers, I suspect people would be leaving in droves lol 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

It just needs a little reworking. The preaching of the cross is for them that prefer foolishness.

Hahaha I wish that version was in the bible instead :D

I have a bachelor's degree in Christian Studies. I chased hard after intellectualism!  If someone had told me I'd end up here I would have slapped their face, but here I am lol!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MamaCaz said:

If someone had told me I'd end up here I would have slapped their face, but here I am lol!  

Would you have slapped the other cheek too, though? :D Sorry, couldn't resist 

I'd have done the same. And then I would have prayed for future me's eyes to be opened. Well, they were opened, just not in quite the way I expected lol 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Stargazer95 said:

Would you have slapped the other cheek too, though? :D Sorry, couldn't resist 

I'd have done the same. And then I would have prayed for future me's eyes to be opened. Well, they were opened, just not in quite the way I expected lol 

Lol!  

@Insightful highlighted one in another thread: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding."  

17 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

Using reason and logic in regards to biblical texts was a sin

That has to be the greatest con ever applied to so many people for so long.

"No no! Don't seek knowledge or attempt to educate yourselves. Just listen to ME!"

If that alone is not enough proof that the Bible was written by antiquated control freeks then I don't know how to make it more clear. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOHO said:

That has to be the greatest con ever applied to so many people for so long.

"No no! Don't seek knowledge or attempt to educate yourselves. Just listen to ME!"

If that alone is not enough proof that the Bible was written by antiquated control freeks then I don't know how to make it more clear. 

Preachers would ask to have their doubts and sins forgiven. As would the rest of the congregation.  Which is why I made it clear when I came out, what exactly I thought of a god who gave people reason and logic but told them they'd only get to heaven by not using it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MamaCaz said:

I have a bachelor's degree in Christian Studies. I chased hard after intellectualism!  If someone had told me I'd end up here I would have slapped their face, but here I am lol!  

Well, I'm glad you're here! :)

20 minutes ago, DestinyTurtle said:

Well, I'm glad you're here! :)

Thank you! So am I. :)

• Super Moderator

The very first story in the bible is a stern warning against seeking knowledge.   

19 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

The very first story in the bible is a stern warning against seeking knowledge.   

It's hard not to look at that story now and think Jesus H Christ, how did I accept that?