Goodbye Jesus

Hello all, glad to be here.

FallenEnlightenment

Well, where to begin?

I'll start with I grew up in church. Went to a Baptist Church most of my life. With stints in assembly of God etc when we moved. However I eventually found my way back to the baptist Church of my childhood. The one my grandmother always went to. I attended a Christian private school from 5th grade until my freshman year of high school. I knew that school was expensive and I knew my family barely made it happen; plus I wanted to be in a school with more than a couple hundred kids ranging from kindergarten to 12th grade. I also simply didn't fit in there too well. I was a metal head and while I listened to many Christian metal bands, I was repeatedly told that Christian rock was an oxymoron, a contradiction I should pray about because I was being decieved by Satan with such "music."

Well, I got out of the school but stayed in chruch. Then I joined the military and left my hometown for good. And in doing so, left my church. I never really went back but I always believed. 

Fast forward to a couple months ago...

I just started listening to podcasts a lot and one of my absolute favorites is the Joe Rogan Experience. He hosted Megan Phelps Roper, the grand daughter of Fred Phelps...founder of the westboro baptist Church. Now, we all know how disgusting they were and are but one thing that can be said about then is they taught the Bible. Literally. She was the beginning of the end for me. She's out of the church now and is very open about her reasons for leaving and abandoning her faith. She quoted Romans 9:22. 

Now, I've read the Bible a few times. Probably in whole at least once but always in pieces... This section here, this section there. Always handpicked to help prop up the lesson my Bible teachers in school were teaching or the pastor was preaching. Some of what she said flew in the face of everything I had ever been taught to believe and it came straight from the Bible. So deeply contradictory to so many other verses and lessons. 

I started really reading but it didn't take long for me to find out just how bad it was. Thanks to the internet I quickly found all I needed to know to decide I had been living a life believing so many false things. 

How could this book be God's ordained words when it literally disproves itself time and again? And if it isn't God's word then that makes it a lie. And if it is that then that makes god, well, not real. 

I've been devouring information since. And stumbled upon this website. Glad I did and glad to see I'm not the only one who's experienced this.

Thanks for having me. Looking forward to using this site and learning what I can. 

Aaron

• Like 9

A quite plausible explanation is humans wrote the books in the Bible based in large part on oral traditions, other religions and the authors' current societal influences.  The books were written over a long time span, by a variety of authors from many different societies.  Add to this the revisions, redactions and additions made to the books over the years.  Differences among and between the books is not surprising at all.  

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Well, Bless The Fall, how dare you Tourniquet your back on The Crucified lord?!  He left a Barren Cross so that our Immortal Souls wouldn't have to feel the Impending Doom of hell's fiery Skillet.  You were meant to be a Living Sacrifice, instead you Haste The Day of god's Vengeance Rising.  You allowed the Wolves At The Gate to Blindside you, despite being Under Oath as a Disciple.  Meanwhile the War of Ages, and the Rage of Angels, wages on, and the Sacred Warrior, the Holy Soldier must Become The Archetype of salvation.  This is a Plea For Purging, Oh, Sleeper.  Repent!  Repent under the Crimson Moonlight as August Burns Red!  Embrace the Divine Fire and declare the lord's Bloodgood enough for your salvation!

Also, welcome.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, sdelsolray said:

A quite plausible explanation is humans wrote the books in the Bible based in large part on oral traditions, other religions and the authors' current societal influences.  The books were written over a long time span, by a variety of authors from many different societies.  Add to this the revisions, redactions and additions made to the books over the years.  Differences among and between the books is not surprising at all.  

Agreed. What ive come to realize is that these books were written by men who were passed down these stories. None of then had any interactions with those mentioned in the books nor any experience with the happenings described. Then those stories got retold, rewritten and translated time and again. Hand picked by more men for their purposes. 

I had always believed that God was the one who still had the influence and was acting upon these men to make sure what he wanted was in there. But if a perfect god influenced this then how can the book be so flawed and contradictory? Well, the only explanation then is that it simply isn't the hand of God moving to write this book. And if he didn't then the Bible is a book full of fairy tales. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Well, Bless The Fall, how dare you Tourniquet your back on The Crucified lord?!  He left a Barren Cross so that our Immortal Souls wouldn't have to feel the Impending Doom of hell's fiery Skillet.  You were meant to be a Living Sacrifice, instead you Haste The Day of god's Vengeance Rising.  You allowed the Wolves At The Gate to Blindside you, despite being Under Oath as a Disciple.  Meanwhile the War of Ages, and the Rage of Angels, wages on, and the Sacred Warrior, the Holy Soldier must Become The Archetype of salvation.  This is a Plea For Purging, Oh, Sleeper.  Repent!  Repent under the Crimson Moonlight as August Burns Red!  Embrace the Divine Fire and declare the lord's Bloodgood enough for your salvation!

Also, welcome.

I see what you did there... Lol

• Super Moderator
Just now, FallenEnlightenment said:

I see what you did there... Lol

It was a fun little jaunt down amnesia lane.

13 minutes ago, FallenEnlightenment said:

Agreed. What ive come to realize is that these books were written by men who were passed down these stories. None of then had any interactions with those mentioned in the books nor any experience with the happenings described. Then those stories got retold, rewritten and translated time and again. Hand picked by more men for their purposes. 

I had always believed that God was the one who still had the influence and was acting upon these men to make sure what he wanted was in there. But if a perfect god influenced this then how can the book be so flawed and contradictory? Well, the only explanation then is that it simply isn't the hand of God moving to write this book. And if he didn't then the Bible is a book full of fairy tales. 

The claim that a god or gods influenced the writings is just that...a claim.

If god(s) are simply human constructs/inventions, it can be argued that a Biblical author who believed in such god(s) could be considered as inspired by it/them, however the source of that inspiration is the same human construct/invention.

4 hours ago, FallenEnlightenment said:

I had always believed that God was the one who still had the influence and was acting upon these men to make sure what he wanted was in there. 

Passing strange, that this god only saw fit to influence and act upon men, in passing along his inspirational scriptures (which were largely about how to control the other 50% of the population).

Also, welcome to ex-c!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FallenEnlightenment said:

How could this book be God's ordained words when it literally disproves itself time and again? And if it isn't God's word then that makes it a lie. And if it is that then that makes god, well, not real.

Welcome, FE. You've arrived. You're there. 

It's a lie and it isn't real. Welcome to the world outside of the Matrix.....

• Like 2

Welcome to Ex-C, @FallenEnlightenment.

Glad you found us. 

I figure the more of us that hang together the sooner we'll be ... well ... not so un-mainstream.

Maybe.

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, I’m certain you will find this site helpful and encouraging. Just a heads up, it takes 25 posts before you can edit your posts and use the other amenities. 

Thank you guys for the warm welcome. 

Glad to have you, Fallen!  

Greetings from the Vaterland FE :)

Welcome to X-Xian! Seems you're starting to ask yourself a lot of questions about the bible... that's a big no-no for a Xian! :P I hope we can help! I'm glad you're here!

Glad you decided to join us heathens :D

• 2 weeks later...

Love this post. Damn we have a lot in common. Both indoctrinated the Baptist way, joined the military and left our town, both named Aaron lol. Good shit man. Glad you made it out. I realized that after I deconverted, even though I wasn’t attending church for a few years it didn’t mattter. The belief system was still affecting me. Just goes to show the power of religion. 

Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 2

great to have ya fallen! welcome to ExC.

DB

On 2/12/2019 at 1:24 PM, Jesus said:

Love this post. Damn we have a lot in common. Both indoctrinated the Baptist way, joined the military and left our town, both named Aaron lol. Good shit man. Glad you made it out. I realized that after I deconverted, even though I wasn’t attending church for a few years it didn’t mattter. The belief system was still affecting me. Just goes to show the power of religion. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, the whole religion thing is deep seated. I still find myself momentarily falling on it but always remember how dumb it is shortly after

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 5:04 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Also, welcome.

You forgot the marshmallows the saints will be given to toast on the burning buttocks of the wicked ones. 

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, DevilsCabanaBoy said:

You forgot the marshmallows the saints will be given to toast on the burning buttocks of the wicked ones. 

They'd use wieners, except for the whole "homosexuality is an abomination" thing.

3 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

They'd use wieners, except for the whole "homosexuality is an abomination" thing.

Singing