Goodbye Jesus

Glad to be here

Jagdish

Hello all,

Glad to see that there are so many others who have left the oppressive regime of Christianity. I have noticed, not only here, but among ex-xtains in general that there seem to be two categories, Christian or atheist. While I fully respect Secular Humanist, I cannot believe that there is absolutely no supreme being. I am now of the Hindu faith and find it extremely liberating and with much spiritual latitude. When I ask a theological question, I am not told "not to question, just have faith". There is an answer somewhere and the faith welcomes questions. OK this is not an attempt to win Hindu adherents, but just an explanation as to how it has impacted me.

I grew up in the notorious Bible Belt of the USA. My mom was EXTREMELY Christian but my dad was not at all. However he let mom have free reign in that aspect of our lives. My sis and I went to church EVERY Sunday, and were read Bible stories every night.  I can remember dad condemning organized religion esp the Catholic church. Once he said that the church retarded the progress of science by thousands of years and that the church controlled the printing press in early ages, but mom had us so conditioned that we prayed for dad not to go to Hell. It never occurred to me until years later that he was correct.

I feel lots of anger but mostly at myself for having been a Christian so long into my adult life.  However the fact that I swallowed the whole cock and bull ultimately says more about me than it does Christianity. It leaves me to wonder why my powers of discernment are so lame.  Actually though since age 24 I have had serious doubts about the truthfulness of the whole Jesus message. Something of which I had utmost faith to happen and for which I prepared myself did not materialize in all honesty was the "crack in the shell that eventually broke the egg".

It never occurred to me to look elsewhere until I started taking yoga (which some Christians say is a sin in itself), that there was a viable alternative to the Bible myth.

If any Hindu or other spiritual people are here feel free to PM me if you would prefer not to do so here. Welcome all comments

Jag

• Like 2

Welcome :)

Welcome to Ex-C, @Jagdish.

You are among friends.

I too, a few years ago, prayed fervently for my doubts to be taken away. They only got stronger. Something about voicing them outloud I suppose.

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

On 6/2/2019 at 12:15 PM, Jagdish said:

It leaves me to wonder why my powers of discernment are so lame. 

Welcome to X-Xian, @Jagdish! Take it easy on yourself- anyone can easily be brainwashed when they're indoctrinated from a young age. I'm glad you're here and I'm glad you made it out of the programming with your mind intact, in the end.

20 hours ago, DestinyTurtle said:

Welcome to X-Xian, @Jagdish! Take it easy on yourself- anyone can easily be brainwashed when they're indoctrinated from a young age. I'm glad you're here and I'm glad you made it out of the programming with your mind intact, in the end.

Thanks Destiny Turtle! Am trying

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 7:58 AM, MOHO said:

Welcome to Ex-C, @Jagdish.

You are among friends.

I too, a few years ago, prayed fervently for my doubts to be taken away. They only got stronger. Something about voicing them outloud I suppose.

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

Thanks MOHO. I like your name!

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 3:08 PM, Derek said:

Welcome :)

Thank you Derek

" I feel lots of anger but mostly at myself for having been a Christian so long into my adult life. "

I wouldn't feel too badly about that. When something is presented as not only true, but obviously true, by your entire culture, it takes a lot to make you even think about whether it's true or not. It would be like wondering whether the sky were really blue.

Hi Lerk thank you for your extimony. I enjoyed it and feel for you having to hide who you really are but we have all done it to some degree or another I suppose. I remember once when I was teaching there was a Moslem girl in the class and she asked me if she should be a Christian. The question took me aback, and I told her she should go home and ask her parents.  Maybe your grand children won't believe either. That way you can be the hero who shows them the way. My father didn't believe. I wish I had lived in a more open minded place I could have asked him about it growing up. However society in that little town was pretty closed on lots of things.

Hold onto your sanity!