Goodbye Jesus

Missing some folks

Geezer

I notice that after the fairly recent board changes that a few long time members have disappeared. I ask because the thing they seem to have in common was their often sarcastic and inflammatory posts. 

They did tend to be irreverent and somewhat aggressive, but we’re all adults here and should be able to handle that or at least ignore them. I’m just wondering why they all seemed to disappear about the same time.

Anybody got some info on that?

I was wondering also, though I don't miss the snarky nasty stuff. 

• Like 1

I think BO (Burnout) was banned.  I have no information about others that fit your description.  Some, I suspect, simply went away on their own given the timing of their departure.  Keep in mind that many folks come here for a fair amount of time, are heavily involved while here and eventually move on.

Part of that may be that the site has moved ToT, News, and Humor to a Clubs section that is harder to find. There was a lot of action in ToT and News before that has subsided now, perhaps because some folks may not know where to find those sections.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't think I come into the category of the sarcastic or inflammatory, but it's true I've not been around much.  The issue is as simple as real life getting in the way and catching up with a backlog of posts being a touch daunting.  May be the same for the sarky and inflamed brigade - and perhaps they grew up...

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2019 at 6:47 PM, Geezer said:

I notice that after the fairly recent board changes that a few long time members have disappeared. I ask because the thing they seem to have in common was their often sarcastic and inflammatory posts. 

They did tend to be irreverent and somewhat aggressive, but we’re all adults here and should be able to handle that or at least ignore them. I’m just wondering why they all seemed to disappear about the same time.

Anybody got some info on that?

Who knows. I guess some of them just got busy or maybe taking a break for a while. 

Didn't the new board format require one to be a subscriber to post in ToT? I was of the impression that that's why some left. They love to spread their vitriol, but not enough to spend $3/month to spew it.

• Like 2

I understand BO got banned. Fwee and Skip I think moved on. Not sure.

Dude got sick of the going on, but I think he might still be around from time to time. Hopefully he'll come back more often and chime in. MM, Orbit, WN etc haven't been around much either. So it seems we are left with the centre group? :P :D #moderatecentre

I think a big thing is the fact that ToT is now not visible - you have to make a very conscious effort to go to it. Now I certainly don't miss the shit flinging that went on, but with the absence of the aforementioned it could be reinstated to the main board. Up to Dave. We went back to making sure that the purpose of the forum was to encourage others without too much distraction, which is working methinks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I understand BO got banned.

He was more than banned.  All of his tens of thousands of posts were purged, at least from my ability to view.  He was never here.

7 minutes ago, sdelsolray said:

He was more banned.  All of his tens of thousands of posts were purged.  He was never here.

Thank God... I mean Dave. Can't say I miss him.

I didn't know BO got banned. It takes a lot to get banned here, but he sure seemed to be trying his damndest to get banned.

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Thank God... I mean Dave. Can't say I miss him.

I have no precise data, but I suspect BO's posts on ToT accounted for at least one-half of them in quantity and were responsible to 90% of the responses.  Not bad for a shallow and irrational little shit.  He should put that on his resumé.

12 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Dude got sick of the going on, but I think he might still be around from time to time. Hopefully he'll come back more often and chime in. MM, Orbit, WN etc haven't been around much either. So it seems we are left with the centre group? :P :D #moderatecentre

Now that you mention it, the centre group sure does seem to get along well. Strife seems to have taken a big dive. 

• Like 3

Are you guys really patting yourselves on the back?  That seems odd to me.

To my mind it registers as a sort of "purge" happened and people are celebrating the genocide.  Now that those wrong-thinkers, the heretics, are gone, well, look at the Utopia.

This just rubs me the wrong way.  

mwc

37 minutes ago, mwc said:

To my mind it registers as a sort of "purge" happened and people are celebrating the genocide.  Now that those wrong-thinkers, the heretics, are gone, well, look at the Utopia.

The decision was not made lightly, and he had many opportunities to dial back his trolling. It's not like it was about censoring dissenting views. It was about excessive trolling, plain and simple, about topics completely unrelated to the purpose of these forums, something that he was actually willing to pay to do, evidently, as he was a subscriber.

2 minutes ago, TrueFreedom said:

The decision was not made lightly, and he had many opportunities to dial back his trolling. It's not like it was about censoring dissenting views. It was about excessive trolling, plain and simple, about topics completely unrelated to the purpose of these forums, something that he was actually willing to pay to do, evidently, as he was a subscriber.

There's a difference between making hard decisions and then gloating after the fact.

mwc

• Admin

To those concerned about BO's absence.

BO was warned repeatedly over the past several years about his agitating vitriol and was even given several long-term "time-outs." His rhetoric may have been entertaining to some, but it was  also very off-putting to  new de-converts, and we lost many less vocal members along the way. Although his posts were prolific, they really added little to the stated purpose of this site: Encouraging ex-Christians. 

I don't know about everyone, but when I de-converted, I was fearful some zealot might read some of my rants, locate me in the real world and attempt to harm me, my family or my job. I know there are others on this site that feel similarly. Regularly, new members with only a post or two ask for their posts and their accounts to be scrubbed/removed in fear some family member or work associate, etc., will figure out their ID on Ex-C. Long term devotion to Christianity can really fuck with a person's perceptions, resulting in a mental world of fear. 

Regarding any other members who may have been less active lately, I recommend asking those individuals directly for their reasons. Only BO was forcibly removed. 

To reiterate what has been stated many times in the past: This site exists for one purpose only: to provide a mechanism for encouraging those in the early stages of de-converting. That may mean allowing the freedom to anonymously rant against Christianity, churches, or religious leaders and families. It may mean talking about dealing with a fundy spouse. It may mean discussing various differences in theology. It may mean discussing social issues like abortion or LGBT rights or even scientific theories like Evolution. So long as the conversations are ultimately aimed at encouraging the de-converting, it's all good.

I would like to add that this is not a forum for slinging mud at conservatives or liberals, because ex-Christians comfortably reside in both camps. Strongly held political opinions ultimately have little or nothing to do with leaving the cult of Christianity. Also, bullying the newly de-converting for holding to deism or some sort of non-Christian spirituality is just plain mean and obnoxious. Ex-Christian is not synonymous with hardcore atheist. There is no requirement for ex-Christians to walk lock-step once leaving Christianity. To experience real mental freedom is part of the fun of escaping the death cult of Christianity. . 

Anyway, for those who disagree with the decisions and policies of this board,  please refer from time to time to our posted guidelines: https://www.ex-christian.net/guidelines/

With respect,

Dave

• Super Moderator

Thanks Dave.

• Like 4

@webmdave thanks for the explanation.  As always, thanks for all you do in keeping this community online.  Can you give us an update on the financial state of affairs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Super Moderator
40 minutes ago, TABA said:

Can you give us an update on the financial state of affairs?

$1346 of $1560 

People come and go but agree that some aggressive posters def drove some people away

On 6/18/2019 at 9:21 AM, mwc said:

Are you guys really patting yourselves on the back?  That seems odd to me.

This just rubs me the wrong way.  

mwc

That's an odd take away. 

But Dave already explained that there was no genocide to celebrate, as in none of the people LF mentioned are banned. It doesn't mean anything more than what he said. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

That's an odd take away. 

But Dave already explained that there was no genocide to celebrate, as in none of the people LF mentioned are banned. It doesn't mean anything more than what he said. 

Is it?  The question was why people are gone and the responses amounted to the rest are happy they're getting along much better without them so who really cares?

Yes, Dave gave his official answer but that was after what others, and myself, had already said.  People apparently like things, the mindset and tone, to be rather, um, homogeneous and kind of celebrate that fact.

mwc

Well if anyone's missing some folks, drop them a PM and ask them to stop by and post. Again, short of BO no one else is banned. Everyone's free to carry on. If they want ToT, go to clubs and participate. Everything's wide open to them. It's really not that big a deal. 

• Like 3

B.O. never bothered me because I didn’t take him seriously. Some of his posts were funny and some were obviously just B.O. blowing off steam and being B.O. I’ve never encountered any poster on this site that has been a problem for me personally. Lots of good folks here and some exceptionally smart ones too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1