Christopherhays

Is a delusional purpose better than no purpose?

9 hours ago, LostinParis said:

Does the fact that Christianity provides people with purpose and comfort out-weigh the need for Christianity to be true? For me the answer was no.

Bringing children into this world, helping to ease the suffering of others...  By focusing on the needs of others my life now has REAL purpose and meaning.

Building your life around and relying on a falsehood makes no sense. People are also provided with "purpose and comfort" by NAMBLA and the KKK.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 12:09 AM, Christopherhays said:

I’ve struggled with depression for years and all my friends and family’s support has felt hollow since I left their religion. I know I was able to cope with this better before I lost my faith... my question is: Do Christians feel more meaning/purpose/fulfillment in life? If they do, should we encourage religion even if we know it’s delusional? 

I personally have trouble setting goals and motivating myself to achieve them. Nothing seems as meaningful anymore and that sorta sucks... 

I struggle with depression as well. And this journey into atheism is very new to me. I have had been thinking a lot about purpose. Specifically, I have been thinking "without an afterlife, what purpose do I have?" I would be lying if I said it hasn't affected my motivation in a negative way. But it got a little better today.

What has given me comfort is thinking about being a very young child. I didn't have any real concept of God, death, or an afterlife. I just enjoyed life for what it was. I enjoyed playing in the dirt, laying in the grass, climbing trees, playing games with my friends, buying candy with the change I found, and so on. It's freeing to me. To allow myself to live in the now.

I also see much to find meaning in still. Family, taking care of the earth, helping eliminate poverty, protesting against war, etc.

I hope that is helpful.

• Thanks 3

What about the purpose of living life to the fullest, having as much fun as possible while you're alive, and being the best person you can be, just because? 

• Like 2

One difference between a Christian and someone who has never been one, is the never-been-one doesn't really think about purpose. At least I didnt...nor do I now (as an Ex-c). I was brought up as agnostic and to just enjoy the present moment. That's all we really have. You can certainly make goals for yourself if you are a goal-oriented person...

If you deny this life's enjoyment in favor of some vague afterlife, then I think you're missing the point of being alive (personal opinion of course). 

Does being atheist mean you can't have an afterlife? Maybe there is a godless afterlife. :) I wouldn't stress too much about it, though.

• Thanks 3

What if we all just put aside all of the religious bullshit and instead we all just worked together for the common good of Humanity, And creating a better world in which to live, And for the generations that come after us?

Because when you think about it, We Humans are the gods of this planet, We have the ability to create and destroy, We shape our own destiny, We create our own purpose and and meaning in life.

Just look at everything we have accomplished throughout our history, We went from primitive apes to being the most advanced and intelligent creatures in existence (That we know of so far), And we did all of that on our own without the help of any god.

Since de-converting I have found life to be far more meaningful than when I believed in that absurd bible fantasy,

I find life much more exciting knowing that there is so much about the universe that we don't know and have yet to discover on our own.

If anything a life of serving some god and kissing his ass forever sounds more pointless than anything else, Who the hell truly wants to do that?

Here's a funny and interesting video I found that illustrates this point quite nicely.

• Haha 1