Goodbye Jesus

Believing in Jesus but disliking Christianity

Disgruntled

Good to hear from you. Don't push it, let it heal. Take care.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2020 at 6:06 AM, Joshpantera said:

Welcome! 

You're asking a lot of questions. Trying to think for yourself. Very good things in my view. You may want to spend some time at the beginning with seeing the need for a savior. Do you think maybe the questioning should go back that far? Back to the very first assumptions? 

You're talking to a lot of people who have backed the questioning up as far back as they can manage. After around 30 years of no longer believing that christianity is true, it's hard to imagine why so many people make the assumption that they are in need of a savior to begin with. The whole thing is very suggestive on the part of christianity. The suggestion that we are lowly creatures in the first place, in need of some type of salvation by an external force. It's really quite odd to consider, even though I once believed it all. Very cultish. And very political motivated religion. 

Also I would add the psychological reason. Of course people in great danger would want a saviour. It seems the most messianic verses in the Old Testament were made in a time where the israelites were a captive slave people. Wanting and hoping for freedom. Seeking comfort from external caregivers seems an ingrained childhood instinct that we sometimes revert to in moments of very big trauma. Sometimes only that hope of future salvation kept people going in very rough times. I mean often people DO need saving. And yes in the face of the dangers of nature we are very frail and want sone protection and assurance. 

I personally found looking at it through a psychological lense helped. So transitioning from theology to psychology. In this way you can see better why you like Jesus and not christianity. Or maybe just another interesting perspective on things.

• Like 1

Welcome to X-Xian, @Disgruntled! I feel like everyone's already answered your question in all the important ways and I hardly have anything to contribute. My main advice is to look inward and come to your own conclusions! Petty theological justifications aside, clearly most (if not all) Xian religion and institutions don't reflect biblical teachings. If you want to broaden your spiritual language and scope you might find it eye opening to read the scriptures and teachings of other religions, too.