Goodbye Jesus

former Bible student

ShellyD99

Hi. I'm looking for other people who are interested in skepticism, atheism, apologetics and Christianity. I grew up in the Lutheran church. In my early 20s I earned a degree in biblical studies, but that experience led to my deconversion. It's a strange analogy, but I think of it like someone who loved hot dogs finding out exactly how they are made. Now I don't ever want to eat another hot dog. Goofy, I know. But I'm still fascinated by the big questions, and how and why people believe.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 7

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Welcome ShellyD99

Well you've come to the right place. Many of us here are interested in discussing those topics. Feel free to browse the forums for topics that interest you and join them, or start your own topic of interest. 

• Super Moderator

Welcome, Shell.  I've been known to use some pretty goofy analogies myself, such as being told that 2Lx2W is the only formula you'll ever need and then getting a test with trapezoids on it.  Or a damn rhombus.

• Haha 1

I know how hot dogs are made,  and I still like them...

Welcome. You'll find lots of discussions those lines going on. Jump in,  or start a new one. Glad you're here. 

Hi and welcome Shelly...nice to meet you :)

2 hours ago, ShellyD99 said:

. . . I earned a degree in biblical studies, but that experience led to my deconversion. It's a strange analogy, but I think of it like someone who loved hot dogs finding out exactly how they are made.

Great analogy!  And my experience exactly.

Welcome to X-Xian! I don't have a degree in bible studies but I've read the bible a few times and studied it furiously back in the day, which probably contributed greatly to my deconversion!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShellyD99 said:

It's a strange analogy, but I think of it like someone who loved hot dogs finding out exactly how they are made. Now I don't ever want to eat another hot dog.

Welcome! 

As it turns out, it's not that left field. Looking behind the curtain has created many a non-believer.....

Me me me! I grew up Lutheran, too. Was confirmed LCMS. I’m new to this site, too.

Welcome to ex-christian.net , I memorized huge chunks of the KJV. Learning it so well made me question it and now I'm a witch (Wicca).

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 5:54 PM, ShellyD99 said:

Hi. I'm looking for other people who are interested in skepticism, atheism, apologetics and Christianity. I grew up in the Lutheran church. In my early 20s I earned a degree in biblical studies, but that experience led to my deconversion. It's a strange analogy, but I think of it like someone who loved hot dogs finding out exactly how they are made. Now I don't ever want to eat another hot dog. Goofy, I know. But I'm still fascinated by the big questions, and how and why people believe.

Thanks for reading.

Makes perfect sense. Welcome aboard!

• Like 1

Welcome, @ShellyD99.

You're in the right place for discussing all those things you mentioned.

Not me. There are smart people here for that.

Discussions about unequally yokedness... I got 'ya covered.

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

• Super Moderator

Welcome to Ex-C! I think the hot dog analogy is dead on. To further the analogy I can say I know some people who know how the hot dog is made but choose to keep eating them because they are tasty and comforting.

Speaking of Bible students, it was as I studied the Book of Revelation at Moody it finally all came together for me - "This is a crock of shit!"

• Haha 1

It’s interesting how well read many ex-christians are. It was easy to believe when I blindly accepted it. When I started looking for evidence of a flood or an exodus or evidence of miracles outside of the bible it was shocking to discover there isn’t any.

My favorite “I can’t believe I taught that!” was when I was asked by one of the youth (who happened to be the pastor’s kid) about evidence, I actually brought up how NASA could go back in time and see thousands of years in the past where the sun stood still for Joshua! 🙄🤦‍♀️ Fortunately his question was a catalyst in my own deconversion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!  I just joined today and have a lot of the same interests that you mentioned.  I look forward to seeing you in the forums.

Nice to meet you! Welcome.