Goodbye Jesus

Ex Christians?

theunraveler

you need to do some reading in books that are written in the secular realm. There are a few extrabiblical references to Jesus; all are fairly easily debunked. None were in the lifetime of Jesus (Josephus would have been a little kid when Jesus supposedly died); most came many years later and only proved the religion existed, but not much about the man himself.

Correction. Jesus supposedly died at 33, and Josephus was born 37. So he wasn't even a fetus when Jesus died.

And I come back to the same argument as been discussed before, that all the references that exists are from people after Jesus death, while at the same time no Christian can explain why Philo didn't write anything about Jesus. Philo was religious and a philosopher. He wanted to renew the Jewish faith. He studied the Bible intensively. He lived in Jerusalem for a while. And all this during Jesus lifetime. And Philo, being in location where Jesus were, and being interested in "Logos" and studying it, writing books that the NT and Christians were later influenced by, and being alive and grown up same time as Jesus, and highly educated writing write bunches of books; he does not make a pipsqueak about any Jesus. Why and how is that possible?

It's like being a historian interested in computers, living during 80's and 90's, learning programming and building and fixing your own computers, going to college and university and then write a bunch of history books about the history of computers. But not mentioning Microsoft or Bill Gates, anywhere. It's impossible, because the whole computer industry today is influenced by Microsoft, so it has to be mentioned.

But Philo don't care. I imagine this: Philo walking on the streets of Jerusalem, thinking about the Torah. He is contemplating if the Torah is to be interpreted literally or figuratively, and especially about the miracles that the prophets did. They healed sick people, and he has his doubts, and think it should be considered allegories. He see Jesus with 2000 people around him. He is healing them left and right and people are screaming of joy. Jesus shouts, "I'm the truth, the way and the life, come to me and you'll see the father." Philo is bothered and goes in a side street to avoid the crowd, and decides this has nothing to do with his thoughts.

Later Philo writes about Logos from God, and even later the author to the Gospel of John is influenced by Philos work and also writes about Logos, but now in the context of Jesus.

Not only is Philo totally a screwup, but God is too! God is using the ideas from a philosopher that didn't follow or care for Jesus, even when he was staring in his face? What a whackjob of a God is that!

yup i meant to say tacitus and josephus...but i stuffed up

That happens every now and again.

The more you stay on the site, the more things you learn. It's part of the support network here, telling exactly why Christianity isn't true and what you think you know isn't really the way it was.

Christianity is so ingrained in our culture that many people who don't even subscribe to the religion believe the myths. We like exposing myths for what they are.

Taph

The more you stay on the site, the more things you learn. It's part of the support network here, telling exactly why Christianity isn't true and what you think you know isn't really the way it was.

Christianity is so ingrained in our culture that many people who don't even subscribe to the religion believe the myths. We like exposing myths for what they are.

Taph

Yeah. Debunking myths is a good thing. Helps you learn how to use your logical reasoning skills and not turn them off when it comes to popular superstitions.

Taph

while christianity isnt entire true, there is no escape from its influence. I feel as ex christians we are all in some ways affected by it. I am actually seating on the fence here, on the one hand i do not want to be too hasty and dismiss god outright but yet the bible contradicts itself and is full of scientific errors.

When I read the bible, some parts of it is truly unconventional and wise while other parts are downright disgusting and full of scientific loopholes.