Goodbye Jesus

Believe it or not

AntiChrist

Christian's.

Why is it necessary for human beings to believe? How can believing in something actually help us?

27 minutes ago, AntiChrist said:

Christian's.

Why is it necessary for human beings to believe? How can believing in something actually help us?

Very good question. I get how believing in yourself can be helpful. But believing in myths, how exactly does that help you? 

3 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

Very good question. I get how believing in yourself can be helpful. But believing in myths, how exactly does that help you? 

Why would I believe in myself? Unless I am in denial of my capabilities.

It started (they say) with Abraham believing what god told him directly. That seems a bit different than reading a book about a god talking to someone and believing it, but that is the twisty path that it has become, since they teach that the Bible is a direct hand-off of info from this god. Still quite a stretch from "Hi I'm THE GOD OF THE UNIVERSE. Kill your son for me. Ha! Just kidding. Instead cut off part of his penis, or I'll kill you." Believing god was his stamp of being declared right with god (righteousness). Oddly, not many stories of him being a good neighbor and caring for the poor, etc. 

Then we are given the many stories about Jesus written to convert people "These things were written so that you might believe..." Except that history has a complete vacuum of anyone else reporting his existence, much less the many outstanding miracles that his cult reports. And instead of doing all the good deeds that were pushed by John the Baptist and Jesus also, belief became the crux of salvation. So much so that now the good deeds ignored in favor of patriotism and money, but they still "believe". 

• Like 1

I flew this same topic over at https://www.christianforums.com/

And no more than 9-10 hours later I received this in my inbox.

Screenshot_2020-05-29-13-34-53.thumb.jpg.5fef47dfff9727fc10e5f28e267efa92.jpg

If you are talking about believing in God and Christianity,  it simply is not necessary.  More than half the people in the world  live without it.  And so can you.

Looks like the Christians don't want to talk to you.  Good riddance!   It is a usually a waste of time anyway.

2 hours ago, Weezer said:

If you are talking about believing in God and Christianity,  it simply is not necessary.  More than half the people in the world  live without it.  And so can you.

Looks like the Christians don't want to talk to you.  Good riddance!   It is a usually a waste of time anyway.

It was after I asked this question (Did Jesus believe in the father while he was the son on earth?) The thread was terminated. I can now reflect on those 10 hours and theorise. But not a complete waste, I did buy MacDonald's inbetween those hours.

Wow, harsh penalty for asking that question! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SarahJaneSmith said:

Wow, harsh penalty for asking that question! 

It was like being smacked in the chops by an invisible wet mackerel. I thought it hurt until I realised it wasn't real.

:D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Super Moderator

I can somewhat agree with the sentiment that if you believe in miracles, you will see miracles everywhere.  I probably wouldnt articulate it with that kind of religious phrasing; but I agree with the idea.  It's about perspective.  If you are looking for the good in life/people/circumstances, you'll find it.  Conversely, if you're looking for the bad...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Weezer said:

You're another Dbag Weezer...."Half the population is 'good riddance!"  jackass

I gather belief if about finding worth in yourself....knowing that we aren't just here to fill up space time...i.e., I believe I am forgiving, intelligent, helpful.....have meaning.  Belief connects us to meaning.

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I can somewhat agree with the sentiment that if you believe in miracles, you will see miracles everywhere.  I probably wouldnt articulate it with that kind of religious phrasing; but I agree with the idea.  It's about perspective.  If you are looking for the good in life/people/circumstances, you'll find it.  Conversely, if you're looking for the bad...

What if the greatest threat for our species is to think we have the capacity to believe. Don't mistake our natural ability to imagine and fantasize in the same vein as forming a belief, because the brain knows when it's entertaining a thought. But what does the brain do with information that cannot be verified as real or non-real sensory data.

10 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

I gather belief if about finding worth in yourself....knowing that we aren't just here to fill up space time...i.e., I believe I am forgiving, intelligent, helpful.....have meaning.  Belief connects us to meaning.

I would say the belief you have gives you meaning.

• Super Moderator
50 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Funny, that goes against Christian teaching. You are worthless, a worm, in need of outside assistance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, Edgarcito said:

I believe I am forgiving, intelligent, helpful.....have meaning. 

Another example of beliefs that don't match reality.  😆

• Haha 2

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, AntiChrist said:

But what does the brain do with information that cannot be verified as real or non-real sensory data.

The conscious brain finds some way to rationalize it; the subconscious brain processes it according to the patterns it has established.

8 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Another example of beliefs that don't match reality.  😆

No, lol, it was an example....not me, lol.  Although I is a decent soul.

1 hour ago, florduh said:

Funny, that goes against Christian teaching. You are worthless, a worm, in need of outside assistance.

Well, if you believe you are a bad person, which most of us probably have great potential, then Christianity confirms our lack of being complete and gives us a mechanism to be better people.  Pretty straightforward.

• Super Moderator
3 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Christianity confirms our lack of being complete and gives us a mechanism to be better people.

So does Buddhism. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

The conscious brain finds some way to rationalize it; the subconscious brain processes it according to the patterns it has established.

I would think a belief must attach itself to some part of our brain, because they do effect our emotions, thinking and behaviour. I consider a brain under the influence of a belief a hijacked brain, where typical sensory information is distorted in order for the belief to thrive. Such as an alien would have to distort the natural environment of a foreign world, making it a suitable habitat for itself.

13 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Well, if you believe you are a bad person, which most of us probably have great potential, then Christianity confirms our lack of being complete and gives us a mechanism to be better people.  Pretty straightforward.

That's the idea. But then why are Christian's so hostile by nature?

2 minutes ago, AntiChrist said:

I would think a belief must attach itself to some part of our brain, because they do effect our emotions, thinking and behaviour. I consider a brain under the influence of a belief a hijacked brain, where typical sensory information is distorted in order for the belief to thrive. Such as an alien would have to distort the natural environment of foreign world, making it a suitable habitat.

Or maybe it's the opposite way around....your brain is hijacked from 0 to 5 years per your caretakers and then the introduction of new information is more truth than what you had previously.

1 minute ago, AntiChrist said:

That's the idea. But then why are Christian's so hostile by nature?

Good question.  Off the cuff, I think it's a level of desperation to be known other than how we perceive ourselves.  So when we are questioned, defensiveness pops up.

Btw, your original question was exceptional.  Thx. 

1 hour ago, Edgarcito said:

Or maybe it's the opposite way around....your brain is hijacked from 0 to 5 years per your caretakers and then the introduction of new information is more truth than what you had previously.

Think back to your childhood. What evidence was presented to you by your caretakers in regards to what is right and wrong? It was wrong to steal that cookie, because stealing was proven wrong as a logical fact? Or was the lesson in morality an aggressive smack on the hand?