Goodbye Jesus

A Question

kellyb

I wrote that almost a year ago.

It was really the first time I put myself and atheism in the same context. I was looking at it as more of a thought experiment at the time.

Now I actually don't believe in god.

Where is your deconversion story?

This is a link to the one I wrote for school.

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showtopic=8302

This link has my actual deconversion story from way back when. I think it's on the first page, about five deconversion stories down, but it's got a whole bunch of deconversion stories, including my husband's (Reverend Atheistar) deconversion story. You might want to check it out. It might help you understand Atheism a little better.

http://www.reverendatheistar.com/deconversion_stories1.htm

Besides this you can check out my blog (http://atheistmommydiary.blogspot.com) which is about my own struggle with being an Atheist mother in a christian nation.

Is there anything here that I have said that wasn't either factual or clearly my opinion?

C. within atheistic circles there tends to be pressure to believe in less and less and require proof for everything. (opinion based on my own personal experience with many varied atheists, not just the people here.)

I guess I read it wrong...my bad! :thanks:

lol no prob. I was sitting here going "goddammit! I qualified that statement JUST SO Asimov wouldn't jump on it. ;) hehehe

Hey....I'm the king poobah atheist...it's only natural for me to regulate the law around here.

Hey....I'm the king poobah atheist...it's only natural for me to regulate the law around here.

You're the grand high poobah atheist, now stop screwing up your title, or i'll take it away...poophead. :nono:

Better? :HaHa:

I'm wondering what you think you'll all be thinking when you're dieing,

Or if you lost a child, or in really bad, really serious times like that.

Having been through some really serious times like these as an atheist I can tell you what I thought - "this sucks".

I'm wondering what you think you'll all be thinking when you're dieing,

Or if you lost a child, or in really bad, really serious times like that.

Having been through some really serious times like these as an atheist I can tell you what I thought - "this sucks".

Was it any easier going through that stuff when you were Christian?

When I was Christian, I was always nominally comforted by the "I'll see you again" aspect, but sometimes more deeply saddened by the "Why did you let this happen, God? Why are you just sitting on your hands? Why won't you at least give me some spiritual strength to cope a little better?" questions.

Is it easier as an atheist, or harder?

That's tough to say for sure. I don't know how much of it is just becoming more jaded with exposure, and how much has to do with religion.

The first close friend I lost was devastating. The second one, not as much. Then I lost my beloved great grandmother and don't remember even crying - all these while a Christian.

Then I attended a couple of funerals of the children of friends (don't ask why except in the clubhouse, I won't tell you) as a believer - sad, but not much.

Then I deconverted.

Since then I've been through several more funerals of children, lost two grandparents, and experienced other personal trying times related to serious health problems of exremely close loved ones.

It sounds almost callous, but I can deal with these things now. I believe I could deal with my own death just as callously.

Is it because I no longer believe in fairy tales and no longer expect a night in shining armor to come rescue me from my problems, or is it because I've become jaded from repeated tradgedy?

I don't know, but I certainly have no problem dealing with these things without religion or other myths,

Both, it's easiharder.