Goodbye Jesus

Mathematics Proves Christ's Resurrection?

Guest Penny

Well, having a master's in mathematics, I can easily conclude that this is pure satire or the reasoning and logic of a demented nutcase. There is nothing mathematical concerning this tripe.

I was thinking that same thing. If it wasn't satire, then I was imagining a very, very old professor slipping into dementia and coming up with this "profundity". The joke of course was on all his admirers who thought this was an amazing discovery! Sorry to announce this, but he has officially passed into becoming the Professor of Playdough. :Old::grin:

Uhhh....is this a joke ? If any christian buys this I seriously feel sorry for them. Any apologist who uses this in their arguments is basically admitting to either having the mathematical capabilities of a 2nd grader or admitting that they will buy any argument no matter how absurd if it supports their dillusions.

first off the first few variables were created out of false dichtomy ( black or white = 50% ) fail#1

And what about other variables ? Chance the bible was forged ? Chance the apostles were nuts ? Chance that josephus was altered ? Chance that 10000 people witnessing a miracle would all be illiterate and unable to document the event themselves ? Ect. Ect. we could go on and on. fail#2

He completely disregarded the flow of logical probobabilities. 1/2 -> 1/2 = 1/4. He acts like probabilites dont stack as they go down the flowchart. its actually about 23% by his own math. And if you apply this same math to the other major religions and compile it together it drops down to 0.003 % .... I conclude this is satire...

"hey, it's not 1:2 odds.. it is 1:(however many cosmologies/religions there are)

And thanks to agnostics who think anything could be possible, that brings it to 1/infinity

Almost positive it's not a joke. A Christian told me this story before I'd ever heard about it. My response was, "Do you have any idea what kind of assumptions this guy was making? How did he come up with that number? Do you know anything about this other than that you heard a professor had calculated the probability of the resurrection at 97%?" He didn't, and now I see that I was right about the ridiculous assumptions they were using. Either it's not a joke, or Christians are reading about a joke and thinking it's for real. This is the kind of "fact" that's going to be soundly refuted but keep poping up for years (like the "plesiasaur carcass" that turned out to be a dead shark, or the live dinosaurs in the amazon). Pisses me off. :angry: