Goodbye Jesus

Nonreligious and feeling like an island

TasiVasQwibQwib

Hey, you can all call me Tasi. I've been a doubter my whole life, but I only shed the last vestiges of belief and doctrine earlier this year. I'm not out to my family. A lot has happened this year that has left me socially isolated, I'm sure we all feel a little like that in lockdown. My boyfriend of 8 years left me and our social group with him. All I've got left are devout christians everywhere. Even my online guild is full of pastors. Collapsed at work, had to have surgery, money is super tight. Part of my grieving and lonely brain thinks I'm being punished even though I know suffering doesn't happen for a reason. I just need a community right now. 

• Like 5

Goodbye Jesus
  • Super Moderator

Welcome home, Tasi.  It sounds like things have been rough.  You will find support and help here, as many of us have also been through the ringer.

• Like 2

Welcome Tasi

Sorry to hear life has been giving you some hard knocks. I am also surrounded by devout Christians and the only non Christian social circle I have is here so I know how rough it can be.

If you want to chat or have questions just yell out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tasi!

To echo the Prof, Welcome Home!  Here, unbelief is not only accepted, it’s  the norm.  It’s good to be part of a community with this in common!  It’s kind of like being greeted by a pet when you come through the door: even if you’ve had a lousy day and it seems the whole world is against you, here’s somebody who “gets” you and is happy to see you!  

This place has made a big difference for me.  Not only was it great to be warmly welcomed by fellow travelers, being here helped me gain confidence that not only is it OK to no longer believe in Jesus/God, but life without religious beliefs ultimately can be richer and happier.  That may not be evident to you now, but it will very likely become so over time.  You will also likely learn more reasons why Christianity and theism are not based on reality.  

I encourage you to read around the forums, topics old and new.  You’ll probably come across posts that reflect very much how you’re feeling right now.  Feel free to comment even on old posts, because that will bring them to the top of the feed and you will likely get responses.  And of course do tell us more about yourself and your journey whenever you feel like it.  

So again, welcome!  And remember, no deity understands you the way mortal men and women do who have walked the same path. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Welcome home, Tasi.  It sounds like things have been rough.  You will find support and help here, as many of us have also been through the ringer.

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Welcome Tasi

Sorry to hear life has been giving you some hard knocks. I am also surrounded by devout Christians and the only non Christian social circle I have is here so I know how rough it can be.

If you want to chat or have questions just yell out. 

1 hour ago, TABA said:

Hi Tasi!

To echo the Prof, Welcome Home!  Here, unbelief is not only accepted, it’s  the norm.  It’s good to be part of a community with this in common!  It’s kind of being greeted by a pet when you come through the door: even if you’ve had a lousy day and it seems the whole world is against you, here’s somebody who “gets” you and is happy to see you!  

This place has made a big difference for me.  Not only was it great to be warmly welcomed by fellow travelers, being here helped me gain confidence that not only is it OK to no longer believe in Jesus/God, but life without religious beliefs ultimately can be richer and happier.  That may not be evident to you now, but it will very likely become so over time.  You will also likely learn more reasons why Christianity and theism are not based on reality.  

I encourage you to read around the forums, topics old and new.  You’ll probably come across posts that reflect very much how you’re feeling right now.  Feel free to comment even on old posts, because that will bring them to the top of the feed and you will likely get responses.  And of course do tell us more about yourself and your journey whenever you feel like it.  

So again, welcome!  And remember, no deity understands you the way mortal men and women do who have walked the same path. 

Thank you all! Feeling welcomed already. We are a social species and our needs are wrapped up in being connected together. Looking forward to making better times

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TasiVasQwibQwib said:

Hey, you can all call me Tasi. I've been a doubter my whole life, but I only shed the last vestiges of belief and doctrine earlier this year. I'm not out to my family. A lot has happened this year that has left me socially isolated, I'm sure we all feel a little like that in lockdown. My boyfriend of 8 years left me and our social group with him. All I've got left are devout christians everywhere. Even my online guild is full of pastors. Collapsed at work, had to have surgery, money is super tight. Part of my grieving and lonely brain thinks I'm being punished even though I know suffering doesn't happen for a reason. I just need a community right now. 

Welcome aboard!!!

Here's the thing, probably most of us here ARE surrounded by christians and have been all our lives. So at some point, the good news being, you can get used to it and move on accordingly. The whole thing. Families, social circles changing, all of it. These are all issues subject to time. And we learn how to adapt and move on with all of these situations in play. We press forward in life and move on keeping to our convictions. Trying to stick to what we've learned to be true and letting go of (ideally forever) what we have learned to be false. 

Christianity is demonstrably false. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Joshpantera  - How am I supposed to get any work done when you post something as fascinating to read as your informal debate?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2020 at 3:59 PM, Krowb said:

@Joshpantera  - How am I supposed to get any work done when you post something as fascinating to read as your informal debate?

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It's open ended still, just in case anyone wants to try a hand at trying to do a better job than LuthAMF of defending or furthering his general position. Christianity is demonstrably false in these specific ways (and more which didn't come up yet).