Goodbye Jesus

My Story - From a pastors kid to an atheist.

LogicalFallacy

Hey LF, thanks for taking the time to put this together.  For many of us, our original introductions or “ex-timonies” were made at a time when we were still new and often insecure and scared in our non-belief.  So it’s good to look back from the vantage point of a few years later.  I think this can be reassuring to people in those early stages of deconversion.  Our good friend @ag_NO_stic just posted a really good update on her ex-Christian life.   

• Like 2

Wow, wonderful summary! Thanks for giving us your path out, and the difficulties it presented. 

• Like 2

I enjoyed reading your story!

• Like 1

Good stuff LF. It's been a long ride. I'm certainly glad to have you for a friend, even if we've never actually met. Maybe one day.

• Thanks 1

very nice LF.

As for me as a teen,  I simply read the bible and in light of science realized that at least Genesis and Revelations, the first and last books of the Bible were obviously wrong and pure BS. This realization happened to me about age 13 when I came to believe that only a part of the Bible was correct. After studying other Christian and non-Christian religions of the world, and considering science explanations, I lost my faith in the existence of a God totally about age 16 while I was still in high school. Although I believed that evolution via natural selection was obviously true and could not be denied, other scientific explanations in other fields of science also sounded like BS to me.

In our science vs. religion forum I often criticized modern physics theories, especially in Cosmology. At that time BAA (Mark) told me to get the 'F' out and leave the X-Christian forum, first because I had never been an adult believer in his opinion, and secondly because I was criticizing science, in which he was a devout believer. After extensive arguments in this forum for a year or more, finally In private PM's we came to an agreement concerning how we both should post in the science forum. He believed that many members and lurkers were still on the fence and that my postings would hurt them. I told him that I believed that the evidence should be presented on many sides and let the reader consider what might be true of not; let the cards fall as they may. I explained that the only reason that I was discussing my own theories in the science forum was because I was asked questions about them concerning OP's posted by others. 

I explained that I was not gullible to science proselytizing any more than I was to religion after studying both. I said that I was open to alternative ideas and would always present different sides to any debate in science unless somebody else beats me to it. As those who were here at that time know, BAA would jump on anything new in astronomy/ cosmology and explain that belief, discovery etc. in great and wondrous detail. He very-much disliked my postings of alternative ideas on that subject since many were outside of mainstream science. He believed that evidence against mainstream science theory could seriously hurt the de-conversion process for both members and lurkers. So we came to an agreement concerning both of our postings in the science forum and I think his distrust and dislike of me slowly waned, as well as our online arguments.

Thanks for sharing your story. I’m also a pastor’s kid. I imagine there are many of us. 

• Like 1