Goodbye Jesus

Non christian spiritual minded music

Joshpantera

Let it rip: 

Hi Josh

I am listening to Jamiroquai (Didjerama+Didjital Vibrations)

I'm not sure how familiar Americans are with the didgeridoo.  It is a traditional Australian aboriginal instrument, a hollow tube of wood, that makes the main drone sound in this Jamiroquai piece, which is clearly deeply influenced by shamanistic spirituality, with the band name from the Iroquois.  I used to listen to them 25 years ago.  The didgeridoo is a deeply spiritual form of music in indigenous culture.  I have an old didgeridoo that I play, but the contested and traumatised situation of indigenous culture means there is not much interest in hearing non-native players.

As it happens, I was on stage last Friday with a didgeridoo accompanying me playing Bob Dylan songs.  It was a Catholic Church event with the Archbishop as the main speaker, on the Pope's 2015 Laudato Si encyclical on integral ecology.  I opened the event playing acoustic guitar and singing Blowing in the Wind, The Times they are a Changing and When the Ship Comes In, as well as my own songs Rainbow Snake and Uluru, with the didg accompanying.  Happy 80th Bob!

We are moving to a more syncretistic approach to religion in Australia.  This event was opened with a ritual smoking ceremony, with Aboriginal people extending a welcome to country and inviting everyone to walk through smoke made by burning green leaves.

• Like 2

Sounds pretty cool. I've noticed that didgeridoo's will some times appear at orchestra concerts in Australia. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joshpantera said:

Sounds pretty cool. I've noticed that didgeridoo's will some times appear at orchestra concerts in Australia. 

I literally just watched this yesterday. Then I got into some didg to didg competition videos. Actually thinking about getting a cheap on and trying it out. My youngest son has been beat boxing since middle school and is pretty good at it now. I showed him the videos and told him he might wanna try it out too. 

• Like 1

My brother had one in the 90's. I tried using it. Can be tough. You have to watch the breathing technique videos. They take breathes in from their nose and hold the air pressure in their cheeks to keep the constant drone. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I find Jia Peng Fang to be very spiritual for me.  I sometimes have his music playing softly when I meditate. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Good old fashioned Baroque for me.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 4:00 AM, Robert_Tulip said:

Hi Josh

I am listening to Jamiroquai (Didjerama+Didjital Vibrations)

I'm not sure how familiar Americans are with the didgeridoo.  It is a traditional Australian aboriginal instrument, a hollow tube of wood, that makes the main drone sound in this Jamiroquai piece, which is clearly deeply influenced by shamanistic spirituality, with the band name from the Iroquois.  I used to listen to them 25 years ago.  The didgeridoo is a deeply spiritual form of music in indigenous culture.  I have an old didgeridoo that I play, but the contested and traumatised situation of indigenous culture means there is not much interest in hearing non-native players.

As it happens, I was on stage last Friday with a didgeridoo accompanying me playing Bob Dylan songs.  It was a Catholic Church event with the Archbishop as the main speaker, on the Pope's 2015 Laudato Si encyclical on integral ecology.  I opened the event playing acoustic guitar and singing Blowing in the Wind, The Times they are a Changing and When the Ship Comes In, as well as my own songs Rainbow Snake and Uluru, with the didg accompanying.  Happy 80th Bob!

We are moving to a more syncretistic approach to religion in Australia.  This event was opened with a ritual smoking ceremony, with Aboriginal people extending a welcome to country and inviting everyone to walk through smoke made by burning green leaves.

Oh yeah, that's seriously cool! Love it!

On 5/27/2021 at 11:41 AM, Tsathoggua9 said:

Oh yeah, that's seriously cool! Love it!

I was chilling in a porch side hot tub on a SE Tennessee mountainside playing that album. All the real forest sounds blending in with the didge track. Nakeding around with my wife at the cabin! Good times!!!! Nature spirituality times....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

I was chilling in a porch side hot tub on a SE Tennessee mountainside playing that album. All the real forest sounds blending in with the didge track. Nakeding around with my wife at the cabin! Good times!!!! Nature spirituality times....

Well, I simply could not imagine a more appropriate soundtrack fer such activities.

• Haha 1

Sort of music...

• 1 month later...

Love this song. Probably not spiritual if I knew what they were saying lol. 

• Like 1

I've heard Heilung say that their music is better when you don't understand the lyrics, as they are going for a deeply felt primal group experience rather than actually worshiping a particular god. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fuego said:

I've heard Heilung say that their music is better when you don't understand the lyrics, as they are going for a deeply felt primal group experience rather than actually worshiping a particular god. 

Well then their goal is reached with me 😆

• 4 months later...
  • Super Moderator

Here is the essence of Buddhist philosophy in a calming and meditative song:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Here is the essence of Buddhist philosophy in a calming and meditative song:

Sounds like oriental Pantera or something lol

• Super Moderator
20 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Sounds like oriental Pantera or something lol

Nine Treasures is one of my favorite bands.  I know everybody gets all excited about The Hu; but I like the more obscure groups.

They should jam that at the local Chinese buffet! I used to go into this Indian buffet tearing up plates of food blazed after surfing for 4 or 5 hours - in my bachelor. And the Indian music sounded just right. I can imagine an ethnic Indian band / metal along these lines.  

• Super Moderator

Not to derail the thread but, in recent years, there has been a surge in the Asian music scene, especially in the metal and indie genres.  Often blending traditional instruments with electric guitar and bass, they're creating some really kickass sounds.  Probably the 2 best known groups are The Hu (Mongolese throat singing fused with metal) and Babymetal (Japanese Kawaii metal). Vietnam has an especially lively underground scene, centered around Hanoi in the North and Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) in the South, with bands ranging from progressive metal to straight punk.

• Thanks 1

Ok, I've gotta see this: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
13 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

This song ("Gimme Chocolate", in English) is about self acceptance and self-image.  That's one of the awesome things about the band.  With their dancing around and anime-sounding voices, you almost think they're not really serious, like they're just doing a strange parody of J-Pop and Kawaii culture.  But when you read their lyrics, you realize they are tackling serious issues head-on without flinching.  Social and cultural issues, such as gender equality and bullying.  If you like this track, you should check out their sings "Karate" and "Megitsune."  They have videos with English subtitles for both songs on YouTube.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super Moderator

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.