Goodbye Jesus

TALKING IN TONGUES??

Weezer

Strange experience last night.  My wife went to sleep before I did.  While I was laying there mulling over what to do about a fence that needs replacing, my wife started groaning in her sleep.  Then started "talking" in an angry tone.  The words were clear---and flowed like regular talking, but not recognizable.  It sounded like a foreign languauge.  The 3 words I remembered sounded like "ard", "nord", and "ogg". (German??  Nordic??)  She started sounding scared, so I woke her up.  When I told her it sounded like she was speaking in a foriegn language, she remembered, while in the dream, not being able to get the words out that she wanted to say.  She knows no foreign language and does not have a Pentacostal background.  

Is this a subject any of you have studied?  Or experienced?  Do you have any explainations?   The only commanality I can think of is that I believe sleep and talking in tongues at church are both altered states of consciousness.  My wife has never been a religious fanatic, and curently doesn't go to church, but has stated in the past it sometimes feels like she had a previous life, but has never insisted it was true.  Just a feeling.    Feedback??

• Super Moderator

I'm not sure I'd consider speaking in tongues an altered state of consciousness.  Most people are faking it.  At least until it becomes more "natural."

8 hours ago, Weezer said:

what to do about a fence that needs replacing

Did somebody take a fence?  

11 hours ago, Weezer said:

Strange experience last night.  My wife went to sleep before I did.  While I was laying there mulling over what to do about a fence that needs replacing, my wife started groaning in her sleep.  Then started "talking" in an angry tone.  The words were clear---and flowed like regular talking, but not recognizable.  It sounded like a foreign languauge.  The 3 words I remembered sounded like "ard", "nord", and "ogg". (German??  Nordic??)  She started sounding scared, so I woke her up.  When I told her it sounded like she was speaking in a foriegn language, she remembered, while in the dream, not being able to get the words out that she wanted to say.  She knows no foreign language and does not have a Pentacostal background.  

Is this a subject any of you have studied?  Or experienced?  Do you have any explainations?   The only commanality I can think of is that I believe sleep and talking in tongues at church are both altered states of consciousness.  My wife has never been a religious fanatic, and curently doesn't go to church, but has stated in the past it sometimes feels like she had a previous life, but has never insisted it was true.  Just a feeling.    Feedback??

Sleep talking, in and of itself, isn't really much of an issue.  See here: Somniloquy.

On a related note one of the effects of dreams is that you are paralyzed.  So, in your dream you don't actually walk from place to place.  What I mean is if you try to move your legs they simply don't move.  They don't move in the dream and they don't move in the real world.  You can't read either.  You just "know" the words.  If you try to actually read them they're just gibberish.  Same with arms and all that.  You just don't function inside dreams.  You just think that you are functioning and therefore you do function but by will, or maybe imagination, alone.  So if she was speaking in the dream it probably made sense until you roused her and then she became conscious enough, in that in-between state, to realize she couldn't actually speak and her efforts were all nonsense.

Look into the concepts of sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming.

Anyhow, this is unlikely related to tongues.  Most people who speak tongues are just speaking nonsense but are consciously doing so (though they never admit it since it's supposed to be magic).  The rest are in a frenzied state and that's not the state she would be in while sleeping.  I would think this is simply a sleep issue.

If it makes you feel any better my wife has sleep walked more times than I can remember and on a number of those occasions has said any number of things to me while doing so.  I just send her back to bed and that's that.  It's annoying but also kind of funny.  Fortunately she's not doing it so much anymore.

mwc

1 hour ago, mwc said:

and on a number of those occasions has said any number of things to me while doing so.  

Did you understand what she was saying?

5 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Did somebody take a fence?

In a sense, yes they did.

5 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I'm not sure I'd consider speaking in tongues an altered state of consciousness.  Most people are faking it. 

The speaking itself is not an altered state, but sleep, and the frame of mind people are in when they speak it at church is an altered state.  At least the ones I observed were.

Some may be faking it, but the lady I knew who did so, was not faking it.

• Super Moderator
25 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Some may be faking it, but the lady I knew who did so, was not faking it.

Perhaps you're right.  I know it's not the main point you're wanting to discuss anyway.

3 hours ago, mwc said:

On a related note one of the effects of dreams is that you are paralyzed. 

If it makes you feel any better my wife has sleep walked more times than I can remember 

This is a side issue, but If you are paralyzed during all dreams, how can you speak?  Or hit or kick your bedmate because you are dreaming of being attacked?  I KNOW that can happen.

I'm not concerned about my wife.  I'm trying to understand where the unrecognizable speech comes from, both in dreams, and at certain churches, and the feeling some people have that they had a previous life.  Reading the thread, "Consciousness as a fundamental quality of the universe", in the Ex-christian Spirituality forum, I began to think that perhaps there is something to the broad concept of reincarnation.  And in altered states of consciousness a portion of a previous life "seeps" into the present in the form of a different language.  Perhaps there is a logical explanation??  Years ago I would have thought that was crazy thinking, but for years now I have thought there is "something" about our existance we do not understand.  Perhaps a heck of a lot we don't understand.  Perhaps we have not evolved to the point of being able to understand.

Dreams can bleed into other states of sleep, not all of which include paralysis.  Especially if you're having a nightmare, the speed from dream to awake can allow the physical movements of the dream to keep happening, but without the paralysis still in place; hence the kicking, screaming, thrashing.  The body is weird.

Where does the unrecognizable speech come from....

It was alcohol in this particular case. 

13 hours ago, Weezer said:

This is a side issue, but If you are paralyzed during all dreams, how can you speak?  Or hit or kick your bedmate because you are dreaming of being attacked?  I KNOW that can happen.

I'm not concerned about my wife.  I'm trying to understand where the unrecognizable speech comes from, both in dreams, and at certain churches, and the feeling some people have that they had a previous life.  Reading the thread, "Consciousness as a fundamental quality of the universe", in the Ex-christian Spirituality forum, I began to think that perhaps there is something to the broad concept of reincarnation.  And in altered states of consciousness a portion of a previous life "seeps" into the present in the form of a different language.  Perhaps there is a logical explanation??  Years ago I would have thought that was crazy thinking, but for years now I have thought there is "something" about our existance we do not understand.  Perhaps a heck of a lot we don't understand.  Perhaps we have not evolved to the point of being able to understand.

What @Krowb said.  The body isn't a perfect system even though we want it to be one.  It's simply good enough.  So when you ask if there's a logical explanation this is it.  The research has been on-going and since it is in peoples brains it's not so easy to simply get right in there to see what's going on but it is becoming easier.  Soon enough we'll have a firm grasp of this "dream realm" and it won't point to anything beyond what's in our heads.  Just like the rest of our reality there's nothing magical going on here.  Just a misfire in an imperfect biological machine.

mwc

On 12/28/2021 at 8:25 AM, mwc said:

Sleep talking, in and of itself, isn't really much of an issue.  See here: Somniloquy.

Look into the concepts of sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming.

Thanks, I looked into those and glossolalia.  Some interesting stuff!   I had observed glossolalia but never researched the study of it.

Not-understandable talking in one's sleep apparently is very common according to the link below. This link says up to 2 in 3 people do it at sometime in their life, and it is more common in children.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/talking-in-your-sleep-heres-what-that-could-mean/

• Thanks 1